Author Topic: Quick rise in morning reading 30 mins after waking  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Lizc

Quick rise in morning reading 30 mins after waking
« on: 26 April 2012, 07:54:44 AM »
Hi

I have just started to reduce my carbs and within 4 days my fasting B/S is down from 8 to 6.9 and I'm chuffed with that.  The 6.9 reading was this morning on waking.  30 minutes later ( thought I'd check before I had my egg ) it was 9!  Does anyone know why it would go up when I hadn't even had a cup of tea?

Offline Venomous

Re: Quick rise in morning reading 30 mins after waking
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
Welcome to DSF :)
This issue is common....

Blame the ancestors! When caveman woke up in the morning he would need to go out and hunt his food before he ate... the liver produces glucose and dumps it in the body first thing in the morning to ready your body to go out and hunt down your breakfast...as it hasn't realised we've invented cupboards and supermarkets yet!

It's called "dawn phenomenon"

Click on here for a better explanation than mine....
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/i-ate-nothing-why-are-my-bgs-high.html

and yes your scores are improving brilliantly. :) Try a small amount of carbs, (a little bit of oatcake perhaps, what do others have?)on waking to help the liver to stay asleep!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2012, 10:15:42 AM »
Hiya Liz

Welcome from me too.  V is 99% perfectly correct in what she says. What she hasn't said is - it may not be necessary to actually eat carbs to stop your liver doing its own thing.  It may be possible to stop it with just protein - but the only way TO stop it, is to eat pdq.  So for me it's up out of bed, loo, test and breakfast, then your shower, get dressed.  (Unfortunately for anyone also on Thyroxine, no milk within half an hour after we've taken that on an empty stomach, so for those of us who like milk in our cuppa we have to wait until 30 mins later)

I assume you are T2 ? when were you diagnosed, are you on any meds for it? and how/why did you decide you needed to curb the carbs?
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Lizc

« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
Hi and thanks for your replies

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago.  Diet only to start with and now 2 x 500g Metformin for about 2 years. Trouble is I have neglected myself, I like to go out and have a meal and a few glasses of wine at weekends, I like a takeaway, in fact everything thats bad for me!  Got into the habit of putting off looking after myself, would have a good weekend but neverless every Monday morning felt very guilty and miserable.  So, hoping its not too late, I'm 57 this year, I am taking control, thats the idea anyway!  No one else can do it for me.
I'm starting with less than 100 carbs a day which I'll monitor and adjust.  I love bread but am keeping to 3 small slices over the day, ( before would have that for breakfast then loads more during the day ) thats 27 carbs I think, and already feel less bloated and have more energy.  One issue I have is that I also have an ilesotomy so some foods that would be great for low carb are not so good for the ileo but that will be trial and error I guess.

This might be a daft question but, I get up a few times in the night to go to the loo, maybe 4 times, would my body think 'Ah, shes up, lets dump some sugar' each time?
If I don't feel like breakfast as soon as I get up would a bit of cheese do the job do you think?

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2012, 10:46:07 AM »
Hi Liz

Welcome from me too. What type of bread are you having 3 slices of?  It should say on the wrapping how many carbs that is.  What type of foods are bad for an ileostomy?  There are lots of low carb recipes in our recipe section (and lots more in the recipe section of our archive forum).  No reason why you shouldn't eat out and have a few glasses of wine (in fact some T2 members say a glass of red wine before bed helps their FBGs no end), just choose from the menu more carefully.

If you get your BGs down you are less likely to have to keep getting up in the night to pee.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
It's never too late to start caring for yourself. I always think guilt is a pretty useless emotion, no point in having fun then feeling bad about it! You may be surprised to find that red wine might not be a total no-no, it can be quite handy! The message is test and see.

Sorry I have no experience of ilesotomy, but this site is great, someone will know!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Offline Lizc

« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Hi Patti

Its wholemeal, small loaf, 9 carbs per slice.  All things brown, better for low carb , not so good for ileo as you 'go' more if you get my drift.  The reason I wake in the night so often too is usually due to the ileo too.  Things are not 'bad' for an ileo per se, you can eat what you want but you will spend a lot more time going to the bathroom if you eat lots of veggies and protein isn't always easy to digest.

Venomous, you're right about the guilt of course, but all things in moderation has never really been my strong point so a few glasses of wine can easily turn into a bit more than that!  Of course then I don't care what I eat.  I've just decided my standard weekend isn't worth the way I feel on Mondays.  That's not to say I'm going to live like a nun, just take more care.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
The rise in BG in the morning hours is generally down to changes in hormones (we've all heard how melatonin fluctuates with the sleep-wake cycle, for example).  Most people find that simply getting up for a bathroom break in the night isn't enough to kickstart the "wake" part of the hormone cycle which is what causes DP (dawn phenomenon).   I suppose it would depend how long you're up for, if you were up for hours at a time it's possible your body could take that as a sign you are starting the day early and flip the hormonal switch ahead of time.  But it's more than simply being out of bed, it's to do with the circadian rhythym of the body :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Venomous

« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
I must admit I'm really naughty... if I wake up in the night to go loo, I have to tidy up before I go back to sleep, so if I've fallen asleep with the dishwasher full or the washing machine finished but not emptied I feel I have to sort things out before I go back to sleep so sometimes a loo break is an hour or more with added middle of the night "chores", I'm way too OCD lol However I don't really find much of a fluctuation in bgs during the night, that is of course unless I'm working during the night so I've worked the day previous then that night... bgs go up manically! The body doesn't like skipping sleep.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Sleep deprivation is a form of - guess what? Stress!  It is a physical stress on the body same as hunger or illness.  Not to mention the mental/emontional stress!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."