Author Topic: Breakfast?  (Read 12253 times)

Offline Type2Si

Breakfast?
« on: 28 August 2012, 04:11:03 PM »

Hi everyone

What does everyone do for breakfast?

Since being diagnosed 7 years ago, I've tried to be good and have eaten boring cereals. Having done some bg testing after eating I was shocked about the effects cereals have had. It kind of explains some high per lunch readings over the years.....

I now need new idea pref quick to prepare.

I have plans to make the frittata that Patti wrote about in one of my other threads.

Cheers

Si

Type 2 (Diagnosed 2005, only doing anything about it 7 years later!)
HbA1c Mar 2009 9.6%, Apr 2009 9.8%, May 2011 10.6%, Oct 2011 10.6%, May 2012 9.5%, Aug 2012 9.5%, Feb 2013 6.6%!
Daily - Metformin MR 2g, Gliclazide 320mg, Ramipril 10mg, Asprin 75mg, Allopurinol 100mg, Simvastain 80mg, Amlodipline 10mg
Weekly - Bydureon 2mg

Offline Venomous

Re: Breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
Eggs! Whether scrambled or fried, however they're cooked, eggs are fab for brekkie!

I like fish too... a portion of smoked haddock for instance and handful of spinach... sorted!

People generally find even bacon/eggs/sausage etc is far preferable to cereal in terms of blood sugar.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2012, 06:56:08 PM »
My workday brekkie is often buttered Ryvita with some cold cheese and meat.

Weekends eggs poached/fried/scrambled with bacon/mushrooms/tomatoes
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline TerryJ

« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2012, 08:44:48 PM »
I've tried to be good and have eaten boring cereals

That is not good ! Anything wheat based will elevate your blood sugar levels far more than eggs, bacon, mushrooms etc.

If you haven't got time to cook in the morning, keep things like hard boiled eggs, cheese and cold meats in the fridge. These have plenty of protein in them which will satisfy your hunger far more than any carb based food.

Sometimes for brekkie I will have some plain natural yoghourt with some walnuts, almonds and a few raspberries and blueberries. Finish off with a coffee and a few hazelnuts. The nuts are fairly high in protein to sate the appetite.
Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline Idreamofchocolate

« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
In pre-gallstone days, one of my favourite breakfasts was slices of ham rolled around finely chopped salad veg and little chunks of cheese mixed together, with maybe a touch of mayonnaise as well. These are nice as a snack too. If you are pushed for time, you could mix the veg items and refrigerate overnight, just throwing everything together in the morning.

I often used to have one of my ground almond base pizzas too. They can be made overnight and put under the grill in the morning. Very yummy  :P
Maureen

Type 2 diagnosed June 08. Taking Amlodipine 10mg, Doxazosin 12mg and Propranolol 20mg

“When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.” A. A. Milne

Offline Type2Si

Breakfast?
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2012, 09:13:24 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. It will take me time to get my head around veggies for breakfast. I could probably fit enough time in to whip up an omelette with a rasher of bacon or something.

I like natural yoghurt and the idea of mixing some berries, nuts and yoghurt together sounds good.

Are oats good? Could I make some home made granola or something?

Type 2 (Diagnosed 2005, only doing anything about it 7 years later!)
HbA1c Mar 2009 9.6%, Apr 2009 9.8%, May 2011 10.6%, Oct 2011 10.6%, May 2012 9.5%, Aug 2012 9.5%, Feb 2013 6.6%!
Daily - Metformin MR 2g, Gliclazide 320mg, Ramipril 10mg, Asprin 75mg, Allopurinol 100mg, Simvastain 80mg, Amlodipline 10mg
Weekly - Bydureon 2mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2012, 09:57:40 PM »
You may tolerate oats - only your meter can say!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
I tend to gravitate towards either a boiled egg - takes some time but I don't have to supervise it so I can get dressed and ready while it boils! - or some slices of pre-cooked bacon that take about 30 seconds to zap in the microwave.  Cheese if I want.  And then I find I can get away with about 15-20g of carb at breakfast so maybe a bit of acceptable fruit (berries, plums, etc.) or a small amount of oatmeal.  Lately I have been having an English muffin (dunno what you call them over there!) or half a bagel as sort of a treat, but normally anything that resembles bread doesn't work for my blood sugars so well.  YMMV! (your mileage may vary!) so test and see before just assuming that, say, porridge will work for you and bread won't!  Many folks on the forum find just the opposite.

You may find that a smaller or larger amount of carbs works for you.  And don't get put off by me talking about "grams of carb."  You can work just on the basis of whether the amount you ate was acceptable according to your blood sugar readings after eating, or whether you should eat less or none of that food!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline heather1957

« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
I find porridge filling and quick and easy.

I use 'proper' porridge and cook it in the microwave - I pop it in for 3 mins just before I shower and it's done and starting to cool by the time I eat it.
T2 since 8/12 HbA1c HIGH!!
Medication 4 x 500mg Metformin SR at tea time

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2012, 09:40:51 PM »
How are your BGs when you eat that?  I find I can get away with porridge (and for me, it's actually a better choice than toast in terms of my readings) but only a small amount, about 15-20g of carb worth at breakfast.  And that is with taking insulin in my case.  Other people however find porridge to rather dire for their BGs particularly at 1 hour and 2 hours after eating it.  It helps to have it with butter and cream, and possibly some meat or cheese on the side - you get some fat and protein then to spread out the rise from the carbs.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
I find porridge filling and quick and easy.

I use 'proper' porridge and cook it in the microwave - I pop it in for 3 mins just before I shower and it's done and starting to cool by the time I eat it.
Just wondering. Do you ever test an hour after breakfast?
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline CamillaC

« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
Hi
My solution is simple, no breakfast! Being a type 2 not on medication, I find by not eating until lunchtime that I simply do not trigger off any insulin response by not breakfasting. I have gotten used to it now and feel very energetic, light and well all morning.

In the early days I found that cereals were just about the worst food I could eat. So I never touch them at all. My lunch and dinner are low carb only.

My personal opinion therefore,  as a diet-controlled only type 2, is that breakfast is the most unnecessary meal of the day and I am better off without it. I feel during my mornings that I have chance to detox, re-balance and cleanse and give my pancreas a complete rest.
Camilla xxx

Type 2, Diet controlled.

Offline CamillaC

« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
Indeed, testing an hour after porridge would be very revealing. Remember that it is about 66% carbohydrate, almost as carby as any other cereal. I don't think it makes any difference about the glycemic index, high fibre or anything like that. I used to find no way could I control my bg at all if I ate porridge.
Camilla xxx

Type 2, Diet controlled.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
Not eating breakfast is not advisable for many people because it can trigger increased DP and/or a liver dump.

I know for me if I don't eat breakfast I have to take at least 3u of insulin to counteract the rise in BG that I will see due to NOT eating. Granted I have no insulin production of my own, but I can see a rise of 6 mmol easily if I skip breakfast. A person may have enough insulin production left to keep their BG in check during a fasting morning, but even though BG does not go up, that doesn't mean the pancreas is necessarily resting, it may be working to combat DP and keep BG in the range that you see.

On the other hand, BG readings are all we really have to go by, and if yours are in range fasting during the morning, and you feel well, then it does appear to work for you, but it probably won't be an appropriate solution for the majority of people.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2013, 05:40:44 PM »
Ditto, Nytquill - you've said exactly what I'm thinking!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4