Author Topic: Karin Slaughter's "Fallen"  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Karin Slaughter's "Fallen"
« on: 28 September 2012, 02:15:50 PM »
Hi all

I have all but finished this book, it's a good read as far as the genre is concerned with characters that do make you care about them.  However you have to read all her books in order, otherwise the relationships won't make any sense at all, I've read all of them in order.  A new twist in this particular novel is that one of the characters has diabetes.  Unfortunately Karin gets it nearly right but not quite.  Faith has a child of 4 months and has had diabetes a year - so you'd assume this might be gestational diabetes, but 4 months after the birth she's on insulin.  You see the first hypo coming... and the reason Faith doesn't have it sooner rather than later is due to an adrenalin rush, followed by a fairly serious hypo which she herself doesn't recognise.  She carries her glucagon kit and her meter in her handbag, but her insulin at home in her fridge and has nothing with which to counter a hypo in the way of fast glucose.  A dr on the scene injects the glucagon, even though she is capable of drinking coke (and has already done so).  The Dr calls this an "Insulin reaction" rather than a hypo.  Later she takes the vial of insulin out of the fridge and using a syringe injects it before eating a "nutrition bar" and nothing else.  So it goes.... she takes insulin to stop her BGs "bouncing around" though actually lack of insulin in my experience makes BGs bounce only one way... up.  Later on the she arrives at the Dr's home having bought herself some insulin pens at the pharmacy - no mention of needles - and the Dr asks her to test.  The Dr tuts when the result is 135 (7.5) and immediately "dials the correct dose" and injects Faith. Pardon?????

Karin as a respected author you could have researched this just a little better - even half an hour looking on a diabetes forum would have informed you better than you are! Plus you could have asked a Dr.  You could still have used the highs and hypos to suit your plot, but it would have been more believable
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Karin Slaughter's "Fallen"
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
Well the "dialing the correct dose" bit is atrocious but "insulin reaction" was the old term for a hypo (in the same way that "blood sugar" is used for "blood glucose," insulin reaction was considered more mainstream than "hypoglycemia.")  So it doesn't sound too bad to me, just old-fashioned, which considering the way the rest of it is handled, seems to fit in with the general attitude.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Karin Slaughter's "Fallen"
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
Injecting glucagon into a patient who's conscious enough to drink coke?  Also I hardly think 135 or 7.5 is a level to tut about, particularly bearing in mind the woman's been ignoring her diabetes.  Said she who has just tested 12.6 which will teach me not to eat Twix bars, even as part of lunch and even though I carb counted it... considering a correction dose even though I have 1 hr 14 insulin to run.

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans