Author Topic: The Hunger Games trilogy  (Read 1817 times)

Offline heather1957

The Hunger Games trilogy
« on: 29 September 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
I appreciate that these won't be everyone's cup of tea but I have to admit that I really enjoyed them.

I finished the last one a couple of days ago and am struggling to find something to grab my attention.

I usually like thriller/murder mystery books - nothing too heavy though!

I will admit to having read the Shades of Grey books too, very poorly written but quite titillating, that said some people must have led very sheltered lives if they were shocked by the content of the books.

I love my Kindle, have downloaded lots of books, some free some full price - I've recently downloaded 2 x cookery books for Diabetics but they are US produced so  I'll have to adapt some of the ingredients.

I do enjoy reading but as I said I do tend to read for enjoyment and nothing that taxes the brain too much!  ;)
T2 since 8/12 HbA1c HIGH!!
Medication 4 x 500mg Metformin SR at tea time

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
Re: The Hunger Games trilogy
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
have downloaded lots of books, some free some full price - I've recently downloaded 2 x cookery books for Diabetics but they are US produced so  I'll have to adapt some of the ingredients.
Do watch those Heather.  I have 3 "diabetic cook books" and frankly all were dire and a waste of money.  Look out for "Low carb" cookbooks instead.

I was wondering about the Hunger games... can you tell us what they are about?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2012, 11:32:37 PM »
My 11 year old just read the first one and loved it
Dx jan 08
A1c 48 or 6.4 down from 6.9 was 7.9 @ Dx
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline heather1957

« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2012, 11:40:37 PM »
My 11 year old just read the first one and loved it

Now I feel bad as  55 year old woman!  ;)

Patti, the Hunger Games books are based on a society where people who live in the 'districts' have to send one male and 1 female young person to fight to the death in games. This is for the pleasure of those who live in the Capitol (the rich) There are 12 districts so usually 24 people involved.

The focus is a girl from District 12 who encourages a rebellion by all the districts, although initially this was not her intent.

A few friends have started a cinema club where we go to the cinema and then discuss the film - we'll watch anything (A bit like a book club) we went to see the first film and I have to say it did spark off a lot of conversation.

I then downloaded the 3 books and enjoyed them all!

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2012, 01:03:12 PM »
ahhh I did pass over them in amazon when the first of the trilogy was going for 99p.  I don't think age comes into it if a book is well-written.  I can happily read fantasy fiction.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2012, 02:06:05 PM »
Case in point, I love the Chronicles of Narnia - which are most definitely written for children!  Once every year or so I usually end up re-reading A Wrinkle in Time and the sequels...I started reading Harry Potter as an adult.  There are quite a lot of people out there who find that YA fiction is actually their favorite genre (one of the blogs I follow occasionally reviews handfuls of YA books from an adult perspective)...what I mean is, it's a thing, people do it! :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline robynopolis

• My Band's Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
I LOVED the hunger games trilogy, but was so disappointed in the ending! (I wont give anything away about it, I'll only say that it felt like the author just gave up in the last few pages). They were easy to read, but that made them even better! I read them all in 1 week when my grandad died last year, and found them to be a great distraction.

Whst did you think of the film adaptation? I did like them but the bits they missed out (unecessarily! Like where she gets the pin from) infuriated me (but isn't that always the way with movies made from books?) Enjoyed it nonetheless, and can't wait for the next one!
Robyn

Type 1
Novorapid / Lantus

Bees smell joy. That's why they ruin picnics!

Offline heather1957

« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
I LOVED the hunger games trilogy, but was so disappointed in the ending! (I wont give anything away about it, I'll only say that it felt like the author just gave up in the last few pages). They were easy to read, but that made them even better! I read them all in 1 week when my grandad died last year, and found them to be a great distraction.

Whst did you think of the film adaptation? I did like them but the bits they missed out (unecessarily! Like where she gets the pin from) infuriated me (but isn't that always the way with movies made from books?) Enjoyed it nonetheless, and can't wait for the next one!

My friends and I have had lots of discussions about the ending and while some agree with you I was actually okay with the ending.

Absolutely agree that as a reader there were parts that I would have liked in the film but obviously there are time and visual restraints, let's see what happens with book 2 - although again some of my friends thought this was the weaker of the books.

I loved the trilogy and really didn't want it to end! It's great when you find books like that.

I know I may be outside the demographic for the books (too old) but honestly loved them!  ;D

Offline robynopolis

• My Band's Youtube Page
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2013, 03:21:56 PM »
No age restrictions on the love of a good book!

Btw if you like young adult fiction, can I recommend the Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong. They're all from the perspectives of female superntural characters. There's 13 books in the series, and I loved them all! The first book is called "bitten" - written from the perspective of the only female werewolf in the world.

Give them a try if you like YA fiction with a supernatural edge :)
Robyn

Type 1
Novorapid / Lantus

Offline heather1957

« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
No age restrictions on the love of a good book!

Btw if you like young adult fiction, can I recommend the Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong. They're all from the perspectives of female superntural characters. There's 13 books in the series, and I loved them all! The first book is called "bitten" - written from the perspective of the only female werewolf in the world.

Give them a try if you like YA fiction with a supernatural edge :)

Thanks always on the look out for something new and yes I love my Supernatural!

Dare I add that I also loved the twilight saga and have BD part 2 already on order!  ;)

Offline robynopolis

• My Band's Youtube Page
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
Dare I add that I also loved the twilight saga and have BD part 2 already on order!  ;)

Don't worry! I'm a twilight fan and not ashamed! Haha. A lot of people judge the books without giving them a chance, nowadays it seems like hating twilight is "cool" - when really it's just silly! Sure, I'll join in with the mick-taking ("a sparkly vampire? What the heck is that about?!") But I really did enjoy the books, and the films! I was never team jacob or team edward. I was team jasper! After I saw him in the film anyway - yum! Haha :D

And yes do give TWOTOW a chance! I was so gutted when I finished the last book! I never wanted it to end, haha.
Robyn

Type 1
Novorapid / Lantus

Offline heather1957

« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
Just ordered Bitten for my Kindle so once I've finished my current book I'll give it a try.

:D

Offline robynopolis

• My Band's Youtube Page
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
Ooh! Let me know what you think when you've read it! :D
Robyn

Type 1
Novorapid / Lantus