Author Topic: Which pump?  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Which pump?
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
Oooooh interesting!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Kinkajou

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2014, 01:14:48 PM »
I thought I would add my ten cents to this post if that's ok  ;)

Animas Vibe since April 2012

Occlusions ~ I've not had an occlusion yet on it, which I think is impressive. Either that or it's not registering it and some of those unexplainable highs were occlusions! I have got the occlusion sensitivity set to HI though. (Only problem is I would have to remember the Occlusion training I got all that time ago!)

IOB ~ You can find different info on your pump by pressing the screen brightness button (located on the top of the pump with a bulb-like icon on it). As long as this is the first button press it will show you the time and IOB and a green version of your battery level. I've seen a lot of posts saying this is a niggle with the Vibe when it's just a button that isn't used  ;)

Sets ~ You can get all sorts of sets with the Vibe, it's just the standard one given is the InsetII. I've tried a few with just instructions out of curiosity. Animas will send out samples if you call their order line and ask. Also if you did have an issue with an adhesive the cartridges can be connected (as far as I know from research 2 Years ago) to Medtronic infusion sets. However most sets are made by the same manufacturer.

Screen "Fault" ~ Also there seems to be a major "fault" with the screen. Apparently, it gets to the point where you cannot see anything much, bubbles up and gets tacky and useless. I've experienced this "fault". It's a protective plastic sheet that is glued on with daft glue. You know how you get covers on your mobile phones when they are new, completely useless at looking after your screen but there anyway? That's what it is. When mine started showing signs I just picked at it till it came off. Quick screen wipe helped get off the remaining glue  :)

I do have a one pixel line which spans about a centimetre where the LCD has died on me. It runs through the bottom right corner but everything is still clear and it's not a major fault to live with. Possibly due to many moments where I forgot I was hooked up and the pump dropped/flew across the room to the end of the tube and then dropped/I managed to take a hit to where my pump was on my person!

Basal Profiles ~ I have four basal profiles that I can programme. Most with ridiculous names <---A niggle but not a big one. Basal profiles in my experience are great for testing out new basal rates after Basal testing reveals you need to make changes. Also good if you exercise every day at the same time. I find though that a Temp Basal rate is much more effective. <---Personal preference rather than a pump issue.

Delivery Step ~ Also there is a setting called Delivery Step in the advanced set up. Often this is used to change the step that a bolus is given, particularly if you have problems when the 1Us of the dose get whizzed in and it hurts. Unfortunately it doesn't relate to that delivery step. It's for a Quick Bolus button located between your battery cap and your cartridge cap. Easy to miss as it's a rubbery button which looks like part of the casing. Basically if you set this so it is active if you press it you get a beep. That beep steps up by 0.1, 0.5 or 1.0U which you can programme with the Delivery Step and it means you can bolus with the pump in a pocket or hard to reach place without pulling your pump out!

Waterproof ~ The waterproof feature of the pump is not really the Animas Vibes selling point. Think about taking this thing in a pool. £3.5k of medical device strapped to you has never really seemed like a great idea and you can disconnect and use a pen injector/syringe to make top ups till you get reattached. The issue with this is if you get stuck somehow and you an your pump become estranged. Always observe caution, after all you cannot milk a carrot and get insulin!

Battery Consumption ~ I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium ones. Duracell lithium are useless and sometimes I've had one in for a week and it's died on me. If you are always fiddling about with the pump turning the screen on will drain your battery super quick. You may get 3 weeks out of it that way. If you just use your pump at mealtimes and BG tests then it'll go 6-7 weeks easily.

A word on battery icons. Much like the bars of signal on a phone it really isn't indicative of what charge there is left in your battery cell. Remember those indicators that you'd put your fingers on to show if your battery had charge? They were just the same. You are so much better keeping yourself safe and having power than to eek out that last bit of juice!

I've tried using the battery up till it's on its last bar. Not a good idea. The best thing you can do is change the battery at the point when it is consistently showing only two bars (Yes, two not one!). By this I mean when you turn on if you are sometimes getting full bars and then two bars then leave it. But if you get three turn-ons of the screen and it is always showing two bars change the battery at your next infusion set change. The battery change is designed that you have to change it during a set change, why wait till you have the deafening silence of an unpowered pump motor to slip a new one in the engine? You'll get 6 weeks easily out of a battery by doing this and you'll never have to deal with an alarm.

I'll finish there, think I've covered the main things that seem to pop up about the Vibe. It's not perfect by the way, no pump is after all. But I can totally attest to the fact it's not half as bad as a lot of people seem to make it out to be!

Hope this helps!
T1 DX 1978 Animas Vibe April 23 2012 Novorapid
Losartan Potassium 100mg

Last HbA1c 3/14 54 (7.1) Prev 10/13 56 (7.3) ~ Slow reduction due to retinopathy. Before 2012 8.7 for 24mths

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
Funny looking back at this thread. At the time none of the posts really helped me, I don't mean to be unkind but I just didn't know what people were really talking about. Now I've been on the Vibe for more than a month, I  understand what the differences are. There is nothing about the vibe I hate so much that it really makes me wish I'd picked another pump. I might have liked a 3ml cartridge and it is a bit of a pain having to plan battery changes because it requires a full rewind and forgets IOB etc I still carry a spare one in case I ever needed to change it.

The screen cover on mine is fine, you can get new ones to replace it if you want it. At least there are instructions in the user manual on how to fit it. I'd rather have IOB on the 'home screen'. I'd also like bolus dose to be broken down to carbs and corrections (if you don't note this yourself there isn't a way to find this out after ward)
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Kinkajou

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
I like mySugr for recording things like that. The records it produces can be as detailed as you like and to be honest it's all personally subjective to the way each diabetic uses the functions I guess.

Seriously, the LCD is fine and that gluey tacky poo that happened was easily sorted  :) The screen looks all bright a shiney almost like new tbh!

It's nice to fnd someone else using a Vibe that doesn't hate it! :threadhijack:
T1 DX 1978 Animas Vibe April 23 2012 Novorapid
Losartan Potassium 100mg

Last HbA1c 3/14 54 (7.1) Prev 10/13 56 (7.3) ~ Slow reduction due to retinopathy. Before 2012 8.7 for 24mths

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
Liam, I know exactly what you mean. 

Just makes your brain hurt, too many choices .....

I used to do that too and though one understands the literal meaning of some things (like the difference between an extended bolus and a multiwave for instance, until you eat something that needs one of them) - you can't comprehend the necessity or sheer usefulness of them although you can envisage 'other people' maybe eating peculiar things that you don't.   Until you too have got the facility and find actually - you DO eat things that need them!

I'd go potty without the remote now.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
To be honest most of Kinkajou's main post above has gone over my head.  It literally is like you're talking about a device other than an insulin pump.  There's nothing at all wrong with what you've written, it's just that it doesn't make much sense to a person using an Accu-chek combo pump.  In the same way I guess you'd be thinking "What?" if Sedge and I went into different screens/ways of doing things on the Combo.  Well, I know that's true because we were talking about full set changes and pistons the other day and we really confused Liam.

I am grateful on one point at least, the fact that changing the battery upsets absolutely nothing on the Combo pump.  I've had mine 6 months now and am only on battery #3 which I changed on Tuesday evening, the previous change being at least 3 months ago.  On Tuesday I did a full set change and had just pulled on my jeans and started cleaning my teeth after the change when the pump started alerting.  I pulled it from my pocket to find it was a "battery low" warning (I'd been expecting an occlusion alert with it being so close to the set change).  I silenced it and thought "ah, I'll do that when I've finished cleaning teeth/am fully dressed" and then managed to forget about it until the evening.  No problem, take out the battery, put in a new one, it asks if you'd like to save the programmed settings, you click "save" and put it on again.

I'm meaning to do a 6 month "personal review" of being on the pump and what it's meant to me.  Just need to find time  :)
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
The battery change isn't that much of a problem really. You can just put the old cartridge back in and it will find it and work out how much you have left in it. It is just a bit of a downside having it forget anything 'current'. A battery change invokes the self testing of the pump which has a full rewind as part of the setup. It remembers basal rates and ratios so nothing major really.

Yeah the way the combo does cartridges is fairly strange imo I much prefer the idea of the pump pushing the piston up until it finds the cartridge and use that to work out to the unit how much is in it. I get now that if you have a totally different amount in from what you tell it that priming would sort it out and that you can tell it to look around the level you think it is.

I don't feel this is really a hijaking as there is good information about different pumps being added. The main problem is almost nobody has had each of the 2 or 3 pumps in a 'generation' of them. So mostly people can only talk about the pump they use and can't compare it to one of the other current pumps. 

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
The battery change isn't that much of a problem really. You can just put the old cartridge back in and it will find it and work out how much you have left in it. It is just a bit of a downside having it forget anything 'current'. A battery change invokes the self testing of the pump which has a full rewind as part of the setup. It remembers basal rates and ratios so nothing major really.
But you do have to take out the cartridge.  You don't do anything at all on the Combo except stop the pump, unscrew the battery compartment, take out the battery, put the new one in and turn the pump back on.  You don't really even have to detach it.

I don't feel this is really a hijaking as there is good information about different pumps being added. The main problem is almost nobody has had each of the 2 or 3 pumps in a 'generation' of them. So mostly people can only talk about the pump they use and can't compare it to one of the other current pumps. 
That's very true.

Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
Yeah and I think I said somewhere else, it doesn't even bother telling you again for ages and ages, it just ISN'T that urgent.

In comparison to Combos, your Vibes EAT batteries.  Think I replaced mine sometime at the end of March - after we came back off hols anyway and that was about  the 16th- ish.  it hadn't alarmed but I just thought it had been a while (November, when they had to replace it) so I'd just do it whilst it was on my mind.
Jenny

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2014, 10:35:57 PM »
Mind you, the combo meter can be a PITA with batteries.  "Electric error (ya boo, you've just wasted a strip and boosted our profits) remove batteries, wait 20 seconds and replace batteries".  They aren't flat.... they just want to be taken out, given a breather and put back in!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2014, 11:12:42 PM »
I wonder if it is because we use the screen on the pump always and you mostly use the meter / remote? I got given 12 batteries in my pack so a years worth or more.

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2014, 12:50:27 AM »
"ElectrONic Error" you mean.

No never seen that! she lied.

What about "Bad Strip", "Blood applied too early" and "Not enough blood" ?  I had all 3 with one strip tonight, no idea what was wrong with it, three parts of the way through a tub.  So by that time the hole's sealed it self, so we have to start again, whilst our tea is rapidly cooling on the table and Pete's halfway through his ....  (On a plate on the table for the benefit of pedants LOL)

I've had that latter business a few times, just chuck the strip away cos there's no apparent reason whatever.  I know that happens when your hands are wet but they never knowingly are.
Jenny

Offline ingrid

« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2014, 03:07:38 AM »
Coupla quickies with Vibe - with battery change you don't need to remove the cartridge. Disconnect first! Then open battery compartment, swap new one in, screw cap back on, do full rewind which is really just a case of pressing Rewind & then Load Cartridge and waiting for each in turn. Suppose you ought to prime a unit or two just to check nothing's been sucked back up tubing, can't say I always do. It is a pain but at once only every 6ish weeks, I don't find it too annoying (though would be nice not to have to :P).

Now....don't get me started about IOB! From the start for me there was a prob with IOB. I progged in 4.5 hours Duration of Insulin Action and Vibe kept showing me IOB up to 6.5 (& occasionally 7) hours' later. Bad algorithm!! How many years and how many mathematicians does it take to come up with these things?!!? Over a period of many months involving 2 replacement Vibes, both of which did exactly the same thing, & many talks with tech team in USA who had only vaguely come across this issue, I finally gave up as I was getting nowhere and they weren't interested beyond sending out replacements. Animas never got back to me as they had promised with any error reports, nor did their higher up tech supervisors phone me back, as promised. I calculate all boluses manually myself anyway and never take the generated IOB as an absolute value, so personally I just couldn't be bothered any more with getting replacement Vibes. More and more pumpers are now choosing the Vibe due to CGM Dexcom integration and I recently put feelers out again about this (I had previously found others who'd noticed this anomaly but not in UK at the time as there were very few Vibers a year ago) and a couple of long term, very experienced pumpers (both professional scientists too) on Insulin Pumpers UK List have confirmed their Vibes do this, and that there is clearly a problem with the Vibe's IOB algorithm, but affecting how many, who knows? I suspect that a lot of people just don't notice when IOB is still showing beyond the max time (DIA) they set in, and anyway it's a relatively small amount as it's tailing off compared to its peak action time. It's a niggle of mine in that Animas won't deal with it (I've also brought it up with Animas rep....not holding my breath there, I would have expired months' ago). It's easy to just take whatever IOB value the Vibe throws at you, and subtract it from the bolus you are giving, without realising the pump is stretching out the IOB for several hours' longer than it should so the figure is out! It could make a difference to some people in some situations.

Rant over. Just don't rely on your IOB as an absolute value without checking to see if your Vibe is affected by this algorithm error. (To check anytime from Home screen : bottom left, press STATUS & then -> to get 2nd screen - STATUS 2 - to get current IOB.)

Btw apart from that I LOVE MY VIBE TOO !!!

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
Err, doesn't the Vibe take IOB on board when calculating the bolus?

The Roche does - but only of that part which was a correction.  So say you need 4u for 40g carb but you are high, so it calcs you need an extra 2u, next time you test and bolus it takes whatever is left out of the 2u into consideration.  It ignores the 2u cos you ate the 40g. 

You can override what it says anyway.
Jenny

Offline ingrid

« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
But what if it's calculating it wrong in the first place and you never noticed?! Whether it takes it off automatically or not (& we know we should all be aware of the situation behind IOB & make our own adjustments or override in any case e.g. If your BG is running low & you still have quite a bit of IOB by next snack bolus, say, BUT you know you have slow release carbs/protein still going in, then you prob wouldn't subtract (as much) IOB from your bolus. Etc.) My prob is that with these Vibes, you set in a max duration of X hours, but Vibe shows your IOB spread over X + 2 hours i.e. It's spreading the action over a longer time period than you set in!! So the figures it gives you are not as accurate as they should be...blah blah blah...as I said, don't get me started on this, I'll bore you all silly!

One of the beauties of pumping is the exact calculations, micro doses...all as a starting guideline to micromanage your D as best you can with all the other variables of life thrown in...but what if you programme in a ratio (in this case a max duration of insulin for the algorithm to work to) but it then works to a different ratio without telling you? Cos that's what all 3 of my Vibes have done consistently! I set my IOB at 3 hours DIA as a test and it showed IOB way beyond 3 hours after a bolus.