Author Topic: Explanatory Diabetes Video  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Explanatory Diabetes Video
« on: 10 March 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
Here's a link to a short video which explains diabetes for people who know very little about it.  I just thought it was worth a link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MGL6km1NBWE
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Explanatory Diabetes Video
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
Reminds me a bit of how I had it explained to me (only my peds endo did it with little clay models).

I think it hits all the major points pretty clearly.  I'm glad to see them explaining that all starches turn to sugar, but then when talking about diet they only mention avoiding high sugar foods...it's a start anyway!  Also I was wondering what the heck my kidneys were doing up in my chest cavity and shaped like a liver. :P  Couldn't help but laugh at that!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
Yes, I must say the diagram of the kidneys was very interesting.  Also the fact that all the moisture is sucked out of the cells - which rather glosses over the fact that the kidneys are working too hard - I just thought it was a basic explanation which a lot of peeps could understand.

Is it worth making into a sticky?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
Ahh that didn't bother me so much. It's not so much the kidneys doing the deciding there, it's a question of homeostasis and osmosis (same reason we retain water when we've eaten too much salt) and the kidneys are obligated afterwards to filter out all that extra liquid.  So if you just want to know why having high blood sugar is making you so thirsty, the kidneys don't really come into it anyway.

I think it could be worth a sticky or perhaps keeping around as one of those frequently-supplied links to new members, because it really does explain the basics very nicely!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2013, 07:19:10 PM »
I'll move it to Introduce yourself and make it sticky.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline lozzark

« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2013, 01:12:55 AM »
It is very good.  Note it does say limit carbohydrate intake in a single meal or snack, not just eliminate high sugar foods, but it does pass over the point very quickly.  My main gripe is that it uses the word sugar throughout rather than glucose, but I guess it does it for the interests of simplicity. Insulin is needed to allow only glucose to enter the cells: other sugars do not require it. The reason it concerns me is that I meet many people who think that as long as diabetics avoid sugar they are OK.  By sugar they understand that white crystalline stuff (sucrose).  So they will avoid cake made with sugar, but sugar free cake is fine.  Fruits or fruit juices are fine because the contain fructose, not sugar, right?  If people are given the wrong idea initially, will they ever progress to proper understanding.  Obviously the illustrator did not know the difference between the liver and kidneys!
T2 Dx 2000 Metformin Gliclazide HbA1c 53 BP 129/79 Cholesterol 5.4, HDL 1.16, LDL 2.9.

Offline lozzark

« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2013, 01:53:44 AM »
I thought this one a good follow on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xgeG2gtI0A&feature=endscreen
despite his wonky English!
T2 Dx 2000 Metformin Gliclazide HbA1c 53 BP 129/79 Cholesterol 5.4, HDL 1.16, LDL 2.9.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
No argument with what he says but his English made it really cringeworthy for me.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline tianji2013

« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2013, 06:48:28 AM »
Spam rubbish removed by Admin and Tianji is banned

Offline AntonyJ

« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2013, 11:37:51 PM »
hi just joined the forum ,and its getting late for me,but just to say i really liked that video and already feel welcome and hope to get on well here thanks x :-)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2013, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi Antony and welcome to the forum.

Please start a thread in the Introduce yourself section and everyone will be along to welcome you.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline cheesecake

« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2013, 12:08:36 AM »
Hi there, I am sorry to have to put this message here, but I do not know where to begin or how to introduce myself. I start at the introduction page and then I get stuck. Could you please help me get started. Thanks :-[
Type 2 Diagnosed May 2013. HbA1c 7.1 GTT 159
Diet controlled.
GERD
Oesophageal Dysmotility
Hiatus Hernia
40mg Omeprazole daily

Offline Moby

• Global Moderator
  • Carbophobia rules ok!
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
click this link to get to the introduction page. click on the 'new topic' button . put a title in top section and then post your words in the bigger box below.

http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php/board,6.0.html

bw
Moby

T2 since 2002.
metformin 2000mg. humalin I and humalog
Xpert graduate & Xpert Insulin Graduate. (for what it's worth)

©Martin Cronshaw 2015

Offline cheesecake

« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
Thank you Moby I have just updated my Introduction to the Forum.
Type 2 Diagnosed May 2013. HbA1c 7.1 GTT 159
Diet controlled.
GERD
Oesophageal Dysmotility
Hiatus Hernia
40mg Omeprazole daily

Offline brookearnott

« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
Hello my names brooke I just want someone to talk to through email or whatever to be able to have someone who is going through the same thing as me and who wont get mad if I am high? Anyone my names brooke im 17 year old girl currently at college :)