Author Topic: Carrot ginger soup  (Read 1209 times)

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Carrot ginger soup
« on: 08 May 2013, 12:43:53 AM »
Made this tonight, got rave reviews from OH who generally only tolerates ginger.  Super simple to make, delish if you ask me, only 11g per serving by my count.  Recipe makes a big batch (6 servings).

1 onion, chopped
butter for frying

6 cups (1.5L) chicken stock (I used canned)
2 lbs of carrots, peeled and sliced
2-3 "thumbs" of ginger, peeled and grated/minced (gives about 2 tbsp)
1 cup (250mL) 35% whipping cream

Fry the onions on med-low heat until limp.  Add broth, carrots and ginger.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender.  Remove from heat and let cool at least 5 minutes before the next step. Put soup into food processor or blender and puree until smooth (careful with hot liquids in the blender - do it in small batches, make sure the steam can vent out and be careful not to get burned).  I did mine with a stick blender.

Add the whipping cream and return to heat until hot enough to serve!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline pms543

Re: Carrot ginger soup
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
Might have a bash at this one as I love both those main ingredients!!
Poppet x

I have Coeliac disease.

Diagnosed Type 2 16/08/2010

OCT 2013 2 X 500g Glucosaphage

Current slow release Metformin 2000g

Victoza 1.2 daily

36 Units Insultard

30mg Prednisalone

2 x 500mg Calcichew D3 Forte

30mg Amitriptyline

16/11/2010 1st HbA1c 8.5, HDL 1.1, LDL 2.7, Trigs 1.6 
17/02/2015 HbA1c 108mmol, HDL 1.5, LDL 4.3, Trigs 2.7 Total Chol 4.7

25/04/2017 HbA1c  84mmol,Chol 7.7

Offline Idreamofchocolate

« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Nyt. I'm a big lover of ginger so I might try it, although I tried some carrot and coriander soup recently and didn't like it. It had a sweetness to it which I found offputting. Maybe the ginger will offset that.
Maureen

Type 2 diagnosed June 08. Taking Amlodipine 10mg, Doxazosin 12mg and Propranolol 20mg

“When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.” A. A. Milne

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
Hmm, I'm not sure then, Maureen.  I found the soup surprisingly sweet for having no added sugar or sweetener. It's from the carrots, so I think any carrot-based soup is going to have that.  I liked it, but if it puts you off that's understandable!  Or maybe 2nd time round knowing that it will be slightly sweet it won't bother you as much.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Idreamofchocolate

« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
I'll always try something and will definitely give this a go, even though you've said that sweetness will probably be there. We'll see how it goes. Do you think I could use something else other than cream in it? I would be too frightened to use it  :o
Maureen

Type 2 diagnosed June 08. Taking Amlodipine 10mg, Doxazosin 12mg and Propranolol 20mg

“When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.” A. A. Milne

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
I would be too frightened to use it  :o
Because of your gallstones?

I think, looking at the recipe, that you could probably leave it out, of course it would then be a different soup but you could eat it.

Might try that tomorrow Nyt, I have carrots in and I also made a jug of chicken stock a couple of days ago.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2013, 12:53:37 PM »
It's a cup of cream across 6+ cups of broth/carrots, so it's not an extreme amount per serving, but yes, you can leave it out, it liquidizes fine without it.  Or you could compromise and use a lower-fat cream or even milk.  Would be less rich/creamy at the end but still quite good I'd imagine.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline vickiT11979

« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2013, 02:34:22 PM »
Mmm, sounds yummy! Not made soup for a while, I used to do chicken & veg & spicy butternut squash & they made a good meal, but not done any carrot based ones.
Type 1 since 1979, Addison's disease & hypothyroid 1998. HbA1c Nov 12: 54/7.1%, Feb 13: 53/7%, 46/6.4% April 13.
Cholesterol 6.2, HDL 3.1, trigs 1.4.
On insulin pump since 2009, now Animas Vibe & CGM, thyroxine, hydrocortisone, fludrocortisone.
Did have background retinopathy until a year ago - none seen on last 2 retinal screens!!