Author Topic: Book Club topic of the month "Gone Girl"  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Book Club topic of the month "Gone Girl"
« on: 20 May 2013, 11:37:17 PM »
Warning, if you don't want a spoiler, don't join the monthly book club.

Several of us are reading it.  How should we discuss?

Questions:

Nick:  How much influence has his father had on his emotional responses?  Should he have got rid of this by adulthood?
Nick:  Is he really irresponsible and is he also totally unable to see how his actions would impact on his wife?

Amy:  How manipulative actually is she?  How much does her manipulative personality shape Nick's responses?
Amy:  How much influence have her parents really had with the awesome books?

How did you feel about both of them?  When and how did your sympathies change, if indeed they did? 
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline dizzyizzy

Re: Book Club topic of the month "Gone Girl"
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
I thought by the end of the book that they deserved each other!  I prefer my own, simple and honest relationship!  ;D  It was interesting, I thought that Amy's parents were totally irresponsible.  They didn't appreciate the impact of the books on their daughter, and when she disappeared, clearly saw a chance to make more money.  When it should have been the last thing on their minds.

T2 diabetes, metformin SR 1000mg daily.
SLE, Sjorgens, Menieres Disease, high BP, Cervical and Lumbar spondylosis and Degenerative disk disease.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Book Club topic of the month "Gone Girl"
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
I wrote those questions when I was only half way through the book!  Having finished the book I think I might have asked different questions.

At first I thought Nick was your average slightly selfish creature - marriage has gone off the boil, lets look elsewhere for a bit of excitement - until I got further into the book when yes, I agree with you, they deserved each other!

Wonder how no one had ever really seen Amy for the devious creature she was - in fact more than devious, a sociopath.

I thought the parents were quite ghastly!  Although the plot had many twists and turns, some quite clever, it wasn't very believable and as a book I don't think it was particularly good or memorable.

As you say, I prefer my own honest relationship!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans