Author Topic: Hypo-Plus  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Aurorablaster

• Her kisses tasted of honey.....
Hypo-Plus
« on: 16 June 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
Had a very scarey incident with Number One Son.  He'd been doing athletics yesterday and I met him off the train; he was very grey and I asked if he was alright - said he was and did I have a drink.  We got into the car and, forgive me, I can't express it any better - he had some sort of brain storm - started raving about 'delicious arms'; his eyes were wild and to be blunt he frightened the bejeysus out of me. 
I pulled over, got him to do a blood test and he was 3.6mm/ol - and given I know the meter isn't entirely reliable under 4 - I wonder what his bloods were pre having the fairly carbie drink.  I've never been under 3 so I don't know what a more extreme hypo feels like - can it cause this level of incident?  Turns out he knew he was low, had run out of hypo treatment and some scunner had nicked his money out of his blazer so he couldn't buy anything to treat himself with.  So he'd been in hypo for about an hour 'til I met him at the station.
I feel awful as it's the one time I haven't checked his sports bag to make sure he has enough gluco tabs etc and I always make sure he has money for the just-in-case sceanario.
Mother to type 1 son,
Carrier of peskey monogenic gene
Started Insulin 25.4.2013
Feeling Groovy

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Hypo-Plus
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
Goodness me, you must have been really frightened and so must he.  It sounds like when I wake up hypo sometimes and am very confused.  If he'd been hypo for an hour he may have been lower and had a liver dump to bring him up to 3.6.

If he's ever in that state again i.e. nothing to treat a hypo with he needs to find a way to get something.  Asking e.g. in the station cafe for some sugar or in a shop, most people will find some sugar for him in the staff room or somewhere.  Most people are aware that diabetics sometimes need sugar.  I have a plastic card in my purse which is like a credit card which I can show.  It says "I have diabetes.  I am using insulin.  If I am ill, please give me some form of sugar e.g. a sugary drink (not the diet version), dextrose tablets, sweets or glucose"  It then goes on about calling an ambulance and not giving me  anything by mouth if I'm unconscious.  Your son could keep it in his phone case, or somewhere about his person. It just backs up why he's asking for sugar.  It's produced by Novo Nordisk, I think the nurse at the GP's surgery gave me mine but I bet you'd get one if you rang Novo Nordisk.

Hope this never happens again - poor lad!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2013, 07:19:20 PM »
I would bet that he'd been lower than that and his liver was outputting glucose by the time you tested if it was an hour later with symptoms like that. My brother tells me I talk non-sense rapidly when in the 2s. It makes sense when you know the brain is the main consumer if glucose and that it takes days to change to using other sources of energy unlike other cells which can go to fat fast for it.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Aurorablaster

« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2013, 07:56:17 PM »
Thanks Patti & Liam - all that happens to me is I go a bit wobbly and panicky and talk a hundred to the dozen - never ever seen anything like what happened to Big J.  He was laughing, once the glucose kicked in - took me a wee while to regain a sense of humour.  I think 'delicious arms' might be a code betwixt us if he's going low.
I wonder if your card's the same as the 'Insulin Passport' the Gp gave us - I can't remember it saying anything helpful beyond our names and the two types of insulin.  Altho you've reminded me I should get J's changed now he;s off MDI.

Thanks (again!) guys  :star:
Mother to type 1 son,
Feeling Groovy

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2013, 10:47:17 PM »
I wonder if your card's the same as the 'Insulin Passport' the Gp gave us - I can't remember it saying anything helpful beyond our names and the two types of insulin.  Altho you've reminded me I should get J's changed now he;s off MDI.
No, it's nothing like that.  It's a credit card size plastic card aimed at the general public that your son could carry in order to ask for help if needed.  Novo Nordisk provided it.  I'll try to scan it in - hope this works.  I just removed Julian's mobile number.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2013, 01:02:42 AM »
I find it hard enough to deal with my own hypos when they happen, but to have one happen to your child must have been terribly frightening.  You were much braver as his Mum than I think I would have been. 

I like the idea of having a plastic credit card type ID card saying I have diabetes.  I wonder if Novo Nordisk offers anything like that here in the US?  Maybe I will ring them tomorrow and inquire.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline kat

• wind me up & watch me go!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
 :blank: You can get bracelets and 'dog-tag' type necklaces which give the 'I am diabetic' message if anything goes wrong. There have been some awful incidents with diabetic people being arrested and forcibly restrained when the police have not realised that the person was having a hypo. It doesn't bear thinking about.
looking after T2 husband. metformin, gliclazide, lantus thyroxine. Also captopril,

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2013, 09:14:25 PM »
The bracelets have the advantage of being commonly recognized items, but the disadvantage of not spelling out what to do for someone who doesn't know. Unless you get the subscription kind where the bracelet has a number to call.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Aurorablaster

« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2013, 10:35:26 PM »
Thanks Kathy,  Kat and Nyt.

I did get his nibs a subscription bracelet - but teenage boy and bracelet are rarely paired together :(

Thank you all for your kindness in reply x
Mother to type 1 son,
Feeling Groovy

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't keen on mine either until I was in my 20s! Wish they made nicer-looking ones (and I don't mean the ones covered in crystals, a bit too froufrou for me!)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
I have a silver one, http://www.universalmedicalid.com/mkt_uk/category.php?sel_pullid=16 that exact one, but they do them for men.  It has a charm on it with a url where my medical history is stored.  Really though it's meant for paramedics/HCPs.  I think the card is more use if you are dealing with the general public, for example if you went into a shop needing some sugar.  I just rang Novo Nordisk and they don't produce that particular card any more.  I wonder if it's worth making your own?  There will be a place somewhere in your town that will be able to laminate it for you.
Come to think of it, I wonder if we can produce some..... I'll look into it.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Aurorablaster

« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2013, 08:46:29 AM »
That's a fabulous idea ;D
Mother to type 1 son,
Feeling Groovy

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
I'll probably need a reminder in a couple of weeks, currently have no time to do anything much at all.  But it's worth a thought.

Just checked and we can get the design uploaded to vistaprint, they wouldn't be plastic, but a premium glossy business card might fit the bill?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
I be worth trying to it in other languages like my DUK one? Might not have room, it is on the back of my card with my contact details.

Je suis diabétique traité a l'insuline. (French right?)
Soy diabético, con tratimiento de insulina. (Spanish?)
Ich bin Diabetiker auf insulin. (German)

It has what I think is Arabic on mine too but I have no idea how to type that.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2013, 05:42:18 PM »
I'll look into it Liam. 
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans