Author Topic: Energy food for exercising?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline simon E

Energy food for exercising?
« on: 12 July 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
Hi Bit of a newbie on here and was wondering about Energy food people use whilst doing exercise.

I am type 2 and I read a few of cycling magazines (mainly to drool over bikes I can't afford) and they often review energy drinks-gels-bars etc.

I don't need it stave off hypo's (although doctor has suggested as I cycle a lot I should really carry something in case sugars drop too low) its more for energy on longer bike rides 30 to 50 miles....

all the sports energy products seem to be loaded with sugars

The normal fix for non competition cyclist's like myself is cafe stop half way round with a big wedge of coffee and walnut cake.....     

just wondered if any body had come cross this need and how they had solved it, I was thinking along the lines of healthy nut type snacks and non sugary cereal bars

Any thoughts gratefully received 
T2. New Medication (08/08/2013) SR 1gm Metformin and 40mg Gliclazide - seeing how i get on with this dosage

Old med 3 x normal 850mg Metformin and 40 mg Glliclazide

Offline Avocado

• My French website
Re: Energy food for exercising?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2013, 03:38:27 PM »
Hi Simon - I do high intensity weight lifting, not cycling, but obviously I need energy to do the weight lifting. I have a protein and fat rich meal before going to the gym. The fats I eat are normally coconut oil which gives energy very quickly as it's not digested in the same way as other fats since it's a medium chain triglyceride. I don't eat more carbs before, or after, going to the gym - I eat extremely low carb too so I should be running on ketones/fats for energy.
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
You might want to have a look at the Runsweet website, aimed at diabetic athletes and active sporty types. A lot of it deals with how to handle exercise when you take insulin, which is a different ballgame in a lot of ways to when you still have some of your own insulin on board. But it might give you some "behind the scenes" info about how sport affects blood sugar that you can use to plan for your own needs!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline simon E

« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
Thanks very much for the quick replies I will certainly check out the suggestions made by both of you :) The problem of energy isn't really a problem at the moment as my cycling is only short rides (up to 20 odd miles) but I want to increase this distance up to 50 and beyond during the summer..... and I don't want to spoil the good work buy having to eat rubbishy foods to keep going.   
T2. New Medication (08/08/2013) SR 1gm Metformin and 40mg Gliclazide - seeing how i get on with this dosage

Old med 3 x normal 850mg Metformin and 40 mg Glliclazide

Offline TerryJ

« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2013, 10:27:15 PM »
Have a look at this graph, it may help you to decide what to eat when -

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=438
Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2013, 11:15:04 PM »
10 years ago when I was first diagnosed we did a lot of heavy duty hiking on the coastal path (largely discontinued now due to other issues) and I found that carrying a couple of packets of WeightWatchers biscuits helped no end.  They come in little cellophane packs of 2 in a box of 6 packs.  1 cellophane pack (2 biccies) is approx 15g carb.  I would do about 1/4 of the walk and eat one biscuit and at the half way mark I'd have the 2nd biscuit.  I rarely had to eat more.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Moby

• Global Moderator
  • Carbophobia rules ok!
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
hi simon, being t2 (but not a cyclist) as such

on the NHS eatwell plate advice i never got anywhere near a hypo depsite being on similar drugs you are on. the only time i ever hypo'd was when i started on insulin. so.........

carry on as you are, keep the metformin but consider lowering the other, lower your carbs if you need to get bg's into line. speak to your doc as well!
 i think you may be surprised.....
bw
Moby

T2 since 2002.
metformin 2000mg. humalin I and humalog
Xpert graduate & Xpert Insulin Graduate. (for what it's worth)

©Martin Cronshaw 2015

Offline moshiksss

« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2014, 08:08:03 AM »
Hello,

Purified Water is plays a major role to keep your body fit and healthy. For a healthy and balanced life, I am recommending you to drink as much as water you can drink in a day (minimum 8 glasses is medically recommended) and then see the results after some days.

WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION

Goodbye, you're banned !