Author Topic: How long do Enlite Sensors work for you?  (Read 5381 times)

Offline suej

How long do Enlite Sensors work for you?
« on: 20 September 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum. My 11 year old son, Diagnosed Type 1, on MDI with Levimir and Novorapid, 3 months ago started CGM with Medtronic Veo and Enlite sensors. When they work we really rely on them and his little fingers are no longer all scarred from pricking 10x a day, but we have been having bad luck with the Enlite sensors only lasting about 3 days instead of 6. Medtronic keeps sending replacement sensors which is really nice, but it is not our most favourite activity replacing sensors altho' mostly they do not hurt much. Do other people with more experience with Enlite have better luck, or tips to offer me?
Thank you

Offline everydayupsanddowns

• Administrator
    • Every day ups and downs - a diabetes blog
Re: How long do Enlite Sensors work for you?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2013, 10:40:18 AM »
No personal experience... but are you restarting the sensors (something I have read about)? What is it that makes you decide to change them?
Mike

Type 1 since: 1991 Last HBA1c: 45 (6.3%)  Total Chol 5.0 (1.9HDL / 2.8LDL / Trigs 0.7)
Pumping NovoRapid in a MiniMed 640G
Blogging at: www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk

Offline Dollyrocker

« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2013, 03:29:42 PM »
I used them while I was pregnant, most lasted 6 days, a couple only 3 or 4, I did get 10 out of a few though.

Are you turning off the CGM, recharging the transmitter and then starting it as a new sensor?

7/2014 7.2 (55) / 4/2015 7.3 (56) 1/2016 7.0 (53)
pumping with a shitty Accu Chek Insight

Offline suej

« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
The sensors have just been fading away before the promised 6 days. They become very pressure sensitive (if he sleeps or even leans on them) the  Isig (and thus the sensor reading) rapidly drops and then does not recover when you turn him over or get him to change positions. They are placed on his back just above and below his beltline ( he is a tummy sleeper) and when we were trained we were not warned about the pressure sensitive nature of the sensors (nor is it in the manual but it is very important to know about) so the first month nights were dreadful with false lows all night and no sleep. Then the next month was good when we changed sites and we even got 7 days out of a few by doing start new sensor after 6 days without disconnecting transmitter. I have tried with the "good" sensors to push past the 7 day mark by recharging the transmitter but the readings were not great. The last 3 sensors Isig fell precipitously overnight on about night 3 and never recovered to useful levels and were reading falsely and persistently low too often to be reliable so we had to remove them.

I once disconnected the transmitter and did start new sensor but it did not help but I can try again and see.

I am coming across a bit negative, but when CGM working well, we really rely on it and makes diabetes a little less intrusive for my son. There is only Medtronic in South Africa where we live so I have no experience with Dexcom 4. I am not sure if we have a bad batch of sensors (they are hand made) - feels like there is not enough reagent in the sensor or whether it is just bad luck. The global helpline suggest that there is scarring at the sites but I do not think so, and their willingness to send me free replacement sensors, altho' great makes me wonder if this is a known and common problem?

I think all children and all people living with diabetes should have access to GCM, we started partly because of my fear of "dead in the bed" in the middle of the night but also to try for tight control (my son's control is good - well on a day to day basis it does not really feel that way- but HBA1C 6.4%) with less hypoglycaemia at school and we really like the predictive low feature - we set it to maximum at 30 mins and helps him mostly catch lows. :)

Offline Dollyrocker

« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
I found that the sensors were totally unreliable at night, it's a known fact that they read low at that time, possibly due to pressure but I found even if I wasn't lying on it it still gave false readings (corroborated by my normal meter)

I don't really know what else to suggest, perhaps it's his lack of body fat as a child that's causing the issues?

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum suej sorry I cannot help but perhaps something already posted will.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline suej

« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2013, 09:23:42 AM »
Thank you for the support and suggestions. The helpline guys agree they are pressure sensitive and explaianed pressure squashes the interstitial fluid where the sensor lies so there is less blood flow to the area, I just wish the sensor would recover. And its odd that we were getting 6 days and now not. Last night (day 3 ) again the sensor just died on us - read 3.9 at midnight and he was actually 13 - I had given a little extra nesquick an hour before because he was trending low on CGM but in retrospect that was the sensor giving up.

We will press on (excuse the pun) with the sensors and I will report back if I learn anything new and useful.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
Good luck, do let us know what happens.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Dollyrocker

« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
I'm sure you know this but you should never act on the CGM reading, they are at least 5 mins behind actual time, you have to rely only on the fingerprick tests