Author Topic: Pear, Raspberry and Coconut pudding  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Pear, Raspberry and Coconut pudding
« on: 23 September 2013, 03:29:48 PM »
Was putting away groceries yesterday when I went to the fruit bowl to put some fruit in and realised that 5 pears were over ripe  and needed using pronto (how do they do that?  One minute they're hard as rocks, the next they're all mushy).  There were  some raspberries in the fridge that also needed using.  So I devised this pud, which is really an amalgamation of 2 or 3 different recipes.  I can highly recommend it, it's delicious!

Ingredients
4 tbs Splenda(5gcarb)
50g softened butter
1 large egg
50g ground almonds (3.5g carb)
50g dessicated coconut (3.2g carb)
50g Greek yoghurt (1.6g carb)
450g pears (after peeling and coring) (45g carb)
90g Raspberries (4.14g carb)

Total carb = 62.44g  Serves 6.  Per serving 10.4g carb

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4

Peel and core the pears (my 5 pears weighed 450g after I'd peeled, cored and removed the naff/bruised bits off them.  I suggest 4 pears might be close to 450g once peeled and cored).  Put them into an oven proof dish with the Raspberries.  The dish I used was 17cm x 14cm x 7.5cm deep - a small deep dish is best because the topping doesn't cover a big area.
Beat the butter and splenda together until well combined.  Beat the egg and beat into the mixture with the yoghurt.  Stir in the coconut and ground almonds.  Spread over the fruit.  Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until golden.

You can vary the fruits, but you'd have to recalculate the carbs appropriately.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Pear, Raspberry and Coconut pudding
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
I confess I wouldn't have thought of putting those 3 fruits together, but it does sound good! The principle sounds a bit like a cobbler.

Your comment about fruit going bad reminded me of a conversation OH and I had last week when some peaches seemed to do the same thing at our house! He reminded me of something I once heard Paula Poundstone (comedienne) say on a radio program about that very thing in regards to trying to eat more fresh veggies the way we're told to. Unfortunately I forget exactly what the lead-in was, but she said something about how they can be rock hard when you go to bed at night and totally rotten in the morning, which leads to you (her) waking your kids in the middle of the night "Get up, get up, THE VEGETABLES ARE READY! We've got to go NOW!"
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2013, 11:21:03 PM »
Had another helping this evening... yes it was still good.

I think Paula Poundstone has it spot on!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Fran

« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2014, 11:19:10 PM »
I made this tonight and it was sublime!  I reduced the pears to 350g and doubled the raspberries. I will be making this again and again and probably again! 
Thank you Pattidevans

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2014, 12:31:36 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it Fran.  Decreasing the pears and increasing the raspberries probably led to a lower carb pudding  :)

Incidentally, welcome to the forum  ;)
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans