Author Topic: Chicken Soup  (Read 778 times)

Offline Welshsy

Chicken Soup
« on: 10 November 2013, 06:05:06 PM »
I always fancy soup in work when the winter sets in.  I made a lovely chicken soup today which is 10g Carb per portion, it serves 4 so enough for 4 days.  (From the BBC Good Food website)

1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 tbsp thyme leaves, roughly chopped
1.4l chicken stock
300g leftover roast chicken, shredded and skin removed
200g frozen peas
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, crushed
squeeze lemon juice

Heat oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add onions, carrots and thyme, then gently fry for 15 mins. Stir in stock, bring to a boil, cover, then simmer for 10 mins.
Add the chicken, remove half the mixture, then purée with a stick blender. Tip back into the pan with the rest of the soup, peas and seasoning, then simmer for 5 mins until hot through.
Mix the yogurt, garlic and lemon juice, swirl into the soup in bowls, then serve.

** I didn't bother with the peas and I'm not bothering to serve with Greek yoghurt.**
Type 2 since 2003
Lyxumia, Metformin
Just started low carb eating
Sept 13 A1c 80
Feb 14 A1c 49

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Chicken Soup
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
Sounds lovely!  I nearly got a chicken for today's roast, but ended up with pork instead!  Not using the peas and the yoghurt may reduce the carbs too.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans