Author Topic: General guide to soup ideas  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
General guide to soup ideas
« on: 27 November 2013, 06:35:29 PM »
Home made soup is really easy, anyone can make highly interesting and tasty home made soups with little effort.  Most soups start off being made the same:

Basic soup starts with 1 or 2 large onions roughly chopped.
2 tbs oil
2 - 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped or just squash the clove and leave whole (please note, I am a garlic lover - adjust amounts to your taste!)
Vegetable or chicken stock (can be made with a stock cube, or simply be the reserved water that you've previously cooked vegetables in), start with a pint - you can always add more, but you can't take it out!
Extras - herbs and spices as appropriate, Bacon bits, scraps of meat off a chicken carcass, or meat off the bone of a roast.

Put the onions in a large pan with the oil and put the lid on.  Simmer over a very low heat until the onions are sweated out and soft - this will bring out the sweetness in the onions.
Add the garlic and fry for a minute - be careful garlic burns really easily.
Now add any spices such as chilli, chilli powder, coriander, ground ginger etc and let them "run" and go like a sort of paste in the oil for a minute or two.  This will "bring out" and deepen the flavour, rather than putting the powder in later.  Be careful to do this over a low heat.  Add whatever veggies you are going to use and allow to caramelise a bit - keep stirring so as not to burn them (don't bother doing this with tomatoes, broccoli or cauli).  Add the stock and cook the veggies until soft then liquidise.  If the soup is too thick it can be let down at this point with more stock, but you really can't take stock out if the soup is too thin!  If you want the soup to be extra velvety and creamy you can now push it through a sieve.  A bowl shaped sieve and a soup ladle works best, but otherwise use the back of a large spoon.

If you don't want a creamy type soup then liquidise half the soup and leave the other half in lumps, or you can have a broth type soup that you don't liquidise at all.

Ideas for flavouring:
Carrot and Orange:  use peeled carrots and the zest of one or two oranges depending on amount of soup you are making, decorate with a swirl of cream and some shreds of peel chopped in with some parsley. 

Butternut squash:
  Peel and cube the squash, roast it in the oven for 35 - 40 mins until the cubes are blackened a bit round the edges, then add to the pan with some de-seeded chopped chillies, or a few chilli flakes & the stock.  To serve top with a spoon of basil pesto, or a spoon of red pepper pesto.  Or leave out the chilli and about 20 mins after popping it in the oven to roast, cut a whole bulb of garlic in half across the cloves, brush with a little oil and roast with the squash.  When it's done the roasted garlic will squeeze out and give a wonderful roasted garlic flavour to the soup.  You can also add a tsp of cinnamon to this version.

Cauliflower and Stilton:
  I've always been very heavy handed with the Stilton cos I love it!  So I'd put it in when the soup was liquidised & stir until melted, then when serving add a little crumbled stilton just to decorate. 

Queen of Soups:  aka parsnip with curry powder to taste.  Add the curry powder to the onions when sweating them off. Serve with chopped fresh coriander.

Broccoli and Cheddar:  Just what it says!   Serve with a dollop of cream.

Tomato soup: Tinned tomatoes will make adequate soup.  To make it taste like Heinz, you need to add "gastric" which is a mix of vinegar and sugar - but obvs it's not as low carb (though you don't need tons of sugar by any means).  Make up about 3 tbs vinegar + about 3 tsps sugar and mix.  Add to the soup a little at a time & stir until it tastes right.  Or make Tomato and Basil soup using chopped fresh basil, serve with a dollop of cream and a sprig of fresh Basil.  Red Lentil and tomatoes go together well, add the lentils and fry with the onions for a minute or two before adding the tomatoes - you'll need a bit more liquid with these than other versions.

Mushroom soup: - Use half milk and half stock, then add a dash of dry sherry just before serving. 

You can garnish almost any soup with some crispy fried bacon bits, or croutons (though you might not want to do croutons if you are being strict with carbs), or any fresh herbs and a dollop of cream.

Be careful of making a soup out of red and green veggies, it has a tendency to become a very unappetising brown colour.

One of my favorite soups I make when I have boiled a gammon in cider.  I strain the cider then pop the onion that I boiled with the cider back in and add frozen peas & a couple of sprigs of mint.  Serve topped with a sprig of mint.  It's delicious either hot or cold.

Don't mean to be patronising, I know many of you like making soup, but I wrote this for people who think it's a bit difficult or time consuming.

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Libra

• Global Moderator
  • I have diabetes it doesn't have me ;-)
Re: General guide to soup ideas
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
I had just decided today that I need to make some soup - thanks Patti
Jenny
Dx Type 2 in October 2004

Meds currently - Ramipril (10mg), Lantus, Novorapid, Forxiga & Fenofibrate

HbA1c @ Dx 12.3 - lowest it has been 5.4 - most recent 80 (9.3)

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
No, it's ideas even if you know HOW - it's so easy to just stick with ones you always know are successful instead of trying summat different.

Is it worth cautioning that there's a LOT of carbs in parsnip?
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
Came from a conversation about soup recipes Jen.  Was just trying to interest those who might not make soup cos they think it might be difficult.

Ahhh yes Jen. Parsnips can be evil carb wise... totally forgot, just went off into chef mode.  TG I now only have to chef when I feel like it!  Used to hate getting into the "andy pandy" outfit and sweating in summer or freezing in winter.  Waiting ages fiddling about and then getting 17 orders all on top of each other.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Lucy

« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2013, 09:09:33 AM »
Thanks a lot Patti. I will be trying soups this week.
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline sophie

« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
Thanks Patti for all your soup ideas. I am really into this soup making now.  Although the saucepan I bought you would think I am going into the soup kitchen business.  Can you tell me please the "gastric mix" for the tomato soup can I use a substitute sweetner instead of sugar?  I am really looking forward to making the tomato soup.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2014, 03:58:16 PM »
Hi Sophie.  I haven't used gastric for years, but try it with some other type of sweetener and see if it works!  I think it's the vinegar sourness allied with sweetness that makes the right flavour.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2014, 04:00:34 PM »
If there has to be a chemical reaction from the sugar (like when making a fruit pie where the sugar on the fruit creates the gooey liquid that makes the filling) Splenda can often fit the bill. It doesn't replicate every chemical reaction that sugar can cause but it can make fruit "water" somewhat, for example.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
Nyt

In this case it's just a flavouring, there's no particular chemical reaction.  I agree with you though, some chemical reactions that involve sugar can't be replicated with artificial sweeteners.  That's why cake baking with sweeteners has to have extra liquid added e.g. yoghurt.  To make a gooey sauce with sweetener arrowroot can be used to create the gooeyness.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline feejee

« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
Lovely thanks.  Ive asked for a stock pot for a birthday present, so im hoping to make big batches of soups to freeze next week.  I shall definitely make the parsnip and curry powder soup for husband as that sounds perfect for him.  I was also wondering what i could do with my broccoli as i dont much like stilton, but if i can add cheddar instead that would be good.  DO you think i can still freeze it if it has cheese in it?

Ive got some butternut squash soup in the freezer already but i added too much stock cubes to it and the batch i had the other day was waaaay too salty, so will need to make a new lot of that up. 
Type 2. Diagnosed Feb 2012.  On metformin 2 * 1000mg. Invokana (Canagliflozin) 100mg
hbA1c on diagnosis: 128 mmol/mol or 13.8%
6/12: 60 mmol/mol or 7.8%, 
10/12: 6.6%, 03/12: 6.5% Cholesterol: 4.16 (HDL:0.88, LDL: 2.6, 3G's: 1.56)
10/14: 5.6%
02/16: 7.5%
02/16
6/13: 6.6%
4/14@:5.7%

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
Broccoli soup should be perfectly OK to freeze with cheese in it.  By all means use cheddar, or any other cheese you fancy.  I tend to use up bits of cheese that are on their way out on something like cauli cheese.  It's surprising how delicious manky bits of Brie are when cooked  :) .

A tip from Delia (I think it was Delia), keep the heels of parmesan - the hard bit you can't grate, freeze it and add to soups where it will gradually melt and give the soup some flavour.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline lozzark

« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2014, 12:39:08 AM »
Chicken stock made by boiling a real chicken carcass is loaded with nutrients and is very good for you.  I boil the chicken carcass in vegetable stock water taken from steaming veg.  So that gives me highly nutritious stock for soup.  I also use it in risotto and curries.  I add a knorr stock cube and sea salt for flavour.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/16/bone-broth-benefits.aspx
T2 Dx 2000 Metformin Gliclazide HbA1c 53 BP 129/79 Cholesterol 5.4, HDL 1.16, LDL 2.9.

Offline TerryJ

« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
I usually make a pot of veggie soup at the weekend from whatever is looking a bit tired in the fridge and the larder. Even wilting lettuce makes good soup.

Just chop it all up, sautee in butter for a while then simmer in stock until ready for blitzing. I always add a bit of ginger, chili sauce, big splash of Worcestershire sauce, a little soy sauce and brown sauce. Always turns out good.

When I get down to the last bowlful in the pot, I will then add a tin of cream of chicken to stretch it further. I just use the supermarket own brand cheapo chicken soup which only costs 24p.
Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
I always make stock out of chicken if we have one for the weekend, and reduce it until it becomes a jelly when it's cold.  I do it with a bouquet garni tied with string, a carrot or so and a whole onion.  Can't see the point in adding a stock cube Nick, but each to their own.  It freezes well too.  You can do it in individual ice cube trays and dilute it when you get it out of the freezer if you've made it very concentrated.

We haven't had a chicken for ages.... I do sometimes buy a 2Kg chicken for about £6 or so.  It does us 2 x 2 roast meals + filling for about 6 portions of chicken, leek & ham or chicken and mushroom pie, so it's good value.  I have a recipe for chicken which is roasted on top of dried mushrooms which go on to make a scrumptious sauce.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline carty

« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
Leek and celeriac makes a good creamy soup just soften the leeks in butter add chopped celeriac and season then cover with milk or milk and water cook for about 20 mins in a pan or 10 mins in pressure cooker  whizz and serve with a blob of cream and sprinkle of parsley
    CAROL