Author Topic: Sauna  (Read 865 times)

Offline Malc

Sauna
« on: 08 March 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
I have been advised not to use sauna steam room at gym.  Anybody any thoughts on this

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Sauna
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
You'll find there are a lot of things that are not advised for diabetics, right down to cough syrup! And the annoying part is they don't always explain why, so we can't decide for ourselves if the warning actually applies to us or not. Half the time it's more the company saying that "we're not experts in diabetes, so if you're diabetic and using our product we can't say whether it might be a problem or not, and we don't want to be responsible if it is!"

In the case of a sauna, if memory serves it's because the body and the skin being warm like that can cause increased circulation which can make insulin be absorbed more quickly and more efficiently. And you are more likely to be low anyway just after a workout. I'm not a health professional so this is only my opinion of course and not necessarily correct - but if it were me I would go ahead with it and just make sure I was prepared that I might have a hypo (so make sure to have some hypo remedy on hand, and be attentive to how I'm feeling, i.e. no falling asleep in the sauna! haha)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
Hot tubs aren't advised for diabetics either for the same reason, but I have used them several times.  You just have to be aware and, as Nyt says, ensure some hypo cure is handy.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
i don't use the sauna its just to hot but i go in the steam room for approx 5-8 mins 6 morning per week after my swim it gets rid of the  chlorine smell but i make sure i have lucazade in my bag and always test before i leave the gym.
Dx jan 08
A1c 48 or 6.4 down from 6.9 was 7.9 @ Dx
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Malc

« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
Thanks for the excellent advice

Offline pete1140

• am sure I will succeed.....eventually
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2014, 12:07:43 PM »
wow I never knew that.
tbh I haven't been told anything from my doctor/nurse
I hear things from people and think ooo why wasn't I told that as I should have been.

Unfortunately the gym I am at doesn't have sauna etc  or should I say fortunately
My last gym did have it a;; sauna Jacuzzi steam rooms and ended up going just to use these lol
pete1140
dx t2 oct 11 hba1c 11.3, jan 12 8.6, may 8.0 oct'12 7.5%, May 2013  7.1, Jan 2014
now on metformin 500mg 2 tabs @ 8am and 2 tabs at 5pm gliclazide 80mg x2, aspirin 75mg x1,  ramipril2.5mg x 1