Author Topic: Fitness challenge - 30/30 by June 14th  (Read 2975 times)

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Fitness challenge - 30/30 by June 14th
« on: 06 May 2014, 03:42:28 PM »
Here goes!

I propose, in parallel with Sami's weight loss thread (note: thank you Sami for all your hard work running that thread!) a fitness challenge.

Here's the deal. I don't lose weight like a normal person, so tracking my weight loss from week to week can get kind of discouraging for me, which is why I don't participate in Sami's thread although I heartily recommend it for others who are interested! So instead I prefer to focus on the things that are more under my control, like getting my workouts in and getting in shape, regardless of whether I lose any weight doing it.

Meantime, I have just finished my BA (wheee!) and graduation ceremonies are June 14th. My parents will be visiting, first time they have ever come to visit me where I live! And there will be photos and stuff like that of course and I *would* really like to look good in them and not so flabby! June 14th also happens to be nearish to my birthday and wouldn't it be nice to buy myself something really cute in a smaller size for my birthday! So that's my motivation(s).

I counted it out - there are 39 days from today until June 14th (I'm not counting the 14th itself because I doubt I will want to exercise on the day!) So I have set myself the challenge of doing 30 workouts (which means mainly Jillian Michaels, whew!) and 30 walks (I'll be starting with 30 min or so and working my way up to an hour plus some days with a big hill!) in the next 39 days. That leaves me a few days off for rest days and bad weather - and it's meant to be a challenge so I very well might not make it quite to 30, but I have to set a goal that pushes me beyond what I could do easily! :) I will also be hopefully doing stretching and alignment exercises each day but I won't count those in the challenge because I would do them anyway!

Anyone who wants to set their own fitness goals and deadlines, or use mine, is welcome to join me and we can post updates here! Remember the point is not necessarily to lose weight although that will hopefully happen! Just to set a goal and work to achieve it, and see the difference in physical health, strength, endurance etc. as time goes on.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: Fitness challenge - 30/30 by June 14th
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2014, 05:01:27 PM »
I think that's excellent.  I always put it off, manana isn't in it.

Probably walking for me, I'm so unfit though it will be till I can't go on, and a little further every day.  Next lamp-post or tree or field or pair of semis LOL as it's mainly urban round here.

You're on !
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
I'm going to try and walk the dogs at lest 25km per week that's 3.8km round trip each time i have done it once today and will be doing it again after dinner i map it on map my fitness it then sincs to my fitness pal
Dx jan 08
A1c 48 or 6.4 down from 6.9 was 7.9 @ Dx
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2014, 05:13:26 PM »
Lovely! It'll be great to have your (virtual) company, ladies! :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline feejee

« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
Id like to set myself a challenge too, as im still failing quite miserably on the losing weight front. 

Ok, so i would like to challenge myself to:
Walking with the pushchair at least 4 times a week, my round trip is about 2.5 miles
Postnatal fitness class 1 times a week
Type 2. Diagnosed Feb 2012.  On metformin 2 * 1000mg. Invokana (Canagliflozin) 100mg
hbA1c on diagnosis: 128 mmol/mol or 13.8%
6/12: 60 mmol/mol or 7.8%, 
10/12: 6.6%, 03/12: 6.5% Cholesterol: 4.16 (HDL:0.88, LDL: 2.6, 3G's: 1.56)
10/14: 5.6%
02/16: 7.5%
02/16
6/13: 6.6%
4/14@:5.7%

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
i have walked the dogs 7.2km today so that's a good start
Dx jan 08
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E

Offline sarah_loo

« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2014, 08:02:35 PM »
I wana do this. My fitness goal is to do at least 5 workouts a week. Such as my exercises on a morning and then a walk. When I'm at work it'll be walking to and from work. I wana get fitter and not collapse when I walk up a hill. I wana do this by July 16th (when i have my 10k race for life run)
HBA1C: 05/13 15.7  07/13 8.1 08/13 7.7 08/13 7.3 10/13 6.7 11/13 6.0 03/14 7.4

On the Omnipod insulin pump

Never give up!

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2014, 08:17:29 PM »
Great goals everyone! They sound doable and yet challenge us to go beyond where we are, which is just right!

Would anyone like it if I made a little chart or something once a week so we can see where we each are?
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2014, 08:28:30 PM »
great idea
Dx jan 08
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
Alright, lemme see if this works...

NameGoal(s)By date/in # of daysProgressNotes
Nytquill30 workouts and 30 walksJune 14th / in 39 days1 + 1 done
Sedge30 walks - a little further each time!June 14th / in 39 days
SamiWalk the dogs 25 km per week7.2 km
FeejeeWalk with pushchair 4x/week (10 miles)
Postnatal fitness 1x/week
Sarah Loo5 workouts/week incl. walks
Be able to walk uphill!
July 16th

Cool! Alright so everyone feel free to fill me in on your info as you go and I'll try to keep the table as up to date as I can! Also anyone who wants to join in just tell me what you want to write for you or if you decide to drop out let me know and I'll take your info off.

"Goals" can be a particular fitness level you want to achieve or whatever activities you want to do. If you have a specific date or amount of time you want to achieve this in great, if not also great :P Progress is whatever you've done so far towards your goals (so people with weekly goals I will try to update weekly!). And I left room for notes, like say you notice you're getting stronger or you've lost a bit of weight, it's not technically progress towards your goal but it's still something worth crowing about! But notes can also be for things you're having a hard time with or basically any other info you want included just let me know!

I'll see how I get on managing a thread like this, if it gets too much I'll say so, but I've got the summer off for the most part so I should be able to keep it up for a while!

p.s. Sedge I put you down for same goal as me as I think that's what you were implying but let me know if you want it changed!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
So in case it encourages anyone - I did my first workout yesterday after 2 weeks of basically no exercise (finals, ugh!) And this morning I am soooo sore :P But the best cure for sore muscles is just to keep moving, so I'm going to get my stretches in this morning and then another (different, to give my sore muscles a break!) workout.

The first few days are always the worst part on something like this, dealing with the soreness! But soreness and fatigue is just the body adapting and getting stronger so if you're in the same boat as me right now, push through it, guys! :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
It's just blooming starting that's the prob with me, I'd entirely forgotten all about it until I just looked at the forum - the first time I've had a minute today!  And it's torrential rain and very windy  ......
Jenny

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
Weather happens!

Is there something you can do indoors instead? I mean worst case you could walk in place in front of the TV or something - maybe not as good as getting outside but some movement is better than none! Or you could, I dunno, make up a big stack of books or something (make sure it's stable) and step up and down off of it. Or if you have stairs in your house!

Oh! A good idea, even though it doesn't necessarily get you in shape, it does help your body to be more healthy, is just to remind yourself or set an alarm and stand up fpor 5 minutes every hour. It seems corny but there are certrain hormones that are released when you've been sitting for a while that are linked to fat storage, among other things, and just getting up every once in a while breaks the cycle. Get up, walk around for a minute, try to touch your toes, whatever! Or try to sit down on the ground and then get up from the ground a few times in a row - surprisingly good exercise, that!

Edit: I mean, there's nothing wrong with taking a day off because the weather's bad or you just need to, or whatever! But there are also ways around the weather if need be.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
LOL, I got up had shower etc, plenty of movement there (with long hair I can't do a thing with) for an hour, drove then walked to the doctors, sat round a bit waiting, stood for a while waiting for dispensing, always busy - went shopping for oddments in nearby supermarket, came back, made lunch, ate lunch, started feeding the washing machine, emptied same, hung it out on line outside, re-filled washer, sat down, started to pour again so reversed pegging out procedure, set up airer in hall, distributed wet washing  ...

and then sat down at my computer and if you ask me, I have done nothing at all today!

The trouble with all of this is, OK I am moving but it doesn't challenge anything I have in my body !
Jenny

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2014, 05:16:35 PM »
Gracious! You're ahead of me so far today! I mean I did about 20 minutes of "exercise" but compared to all the sitting I've been doing since, it doesn't add up to much. Ok, try this one!

Start off standing on both feet, then try to push one foot down into the floor and stand on one leg. Do it without bending the "floating" leg and without using your tummy muscles to hike up the floating leg, just by pushing down with the standing leg (or you can think of it as pulling the standing hip towards the ground, which is what you're really doing - whatever mental image makes it easiest for you to do!) Try to hold it for however long is a challenge for you, 20-30 seconds? A minute? Do both sides.

Then get a big thick book. Like a dictionary or a phone book or something where you don't care too much that you'll be standing on it :P A block of wood or similar is fine too. As long as it's about 2-3 inches off the ground at least. Do the same thing only with one foot on the book and the floating foot hanging off it. Then try lowering the floating foot almost to the ground but without touching. So you will be using the hip muscles on the standing side even while you are asking them to "let go" a bit (aka eccentric contraction). This is harder to do but also really good for getting better muscle strength! Then bring the floating foot back up. Still without bending the knee or using any muscles in your tummy or waist, just the standing leg muscles. Go up and down like that until you tire out! Then try the other side.

This is a really really good exercise to do because these muscles on the sides of the legs are the ones that are supposed to help support your weight while walking (when you think about it, walking is just standing on one foot, on alternate sides, over and over again) so it's a bit like the work you would get if you could go outside and walk. Plus these side muscles are part of what supports and protects the hips! The stronger they are, the better balance you have and the less likely to fall. And the less likely you are to develop that "old age shuffle!"
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~