Author Topic: Running  (Read 989 times)

Offline LisaNap

Running
« on: 07 August 2014, 03:25:03 PM »
Hi All
Used to use the forum a lot when pregnant but with hassles of a small child, life passes u by somewhat.
I'm a type 1 which has recently (well September) taken up running.  My diabetes wasn't a huge concern in early days as to be honest it wasn't exactly controlled.
I am now trying to get back on track with it as waiting a pump but am struggling with the lows when running.
I've had to resort to letting my blood go high teens to enable me to go, this seems wrong but had no other ideas, as can still be 4 when I get back.  Although last couple of runs been out at 15 and returned after 6 miles at still 15?
At end of tether with it tbh.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Running
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2014, 11:06:13 PM »
Hiya LisaNap and welcome back... how is the little one?

As far as running is concerned I don't do it!... but have you looked at the runsweet website?  I do know if you start exercise whilst high you can push it up rather than down.  Forget the mechanism but it's true.

I now have a pump and I can put on a temporary basal rate for any exercise I intend to do, which works magic.  Supermarket shopping has always been my bete noir for hypos, but I now put the pump on a Temporary basal of 90% for 2 hours whilst doing it and it's stopped those hypos.

When are you likely to get the pump and which one do you hope to get?  I have the Accuchek Combo which I love, but everyone loves their first pump whatever it is!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2014, 11:11:32 PM »
It's more that exercise, particularly more strenuous exercise, always has the potential of pushing BG up rather than down, so you're not supposed to exercise starting high (14+) on the off chance that happens, because you don't want to go higher than where you already are. But it can happen from a lower start too, it just depends how used to the activity your body is, how much you've eaten lately, stress levels etc. as to whether your body perceives that strenuous activity as an emergency in need of emergency glucose reserves or not. At least that's my understanding!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline LisaNap

« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2014, 07:07:15 AM »
Thank you. Seem to remember something from dafne about it now.
Little one is fine thanks patti. Starts school in September

Offline Ziggy

• Sometimes I feel like a cartoon character!
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
Here are a couple of links for you Lisa. They may/may not (please delete as applicable)

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

8)     8)     8)
ZigSig:-
T2 Since 22-May-2008 - HbA1c Dec 2015 - 38 or 5.6.  Chol - 5.8

Ramapril 10mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Exercise - am running on a fairly regular basis - knees don't fail me now :)  and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out

Offline ClaraH

« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
I have a pump now and opt for the temporary basal as well. If not, from my old days with pen, the best for me at the time was to eat a cereal bar something like 15 minutes before to get going (can still be useful to do a small injection along with it depending on your own reactions), and go to run after. The slow increase of the bar tends to compensate the low. :) You just have to do a bit of trial and error to find how much food you need to compensate your run and anticipate a bit if you want to run longer than usually.

And keep it going! I started running a few months ago, it's real cool! :)

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
wow Lisanap -- cool on you for the running.

i am waiting to go on a pump right now and my first choice is looking like the omnipod.

any feedback you have on it or other aspects prior to starting would be welcomed on any topics to do with pumping.

take care !!
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014