Author Topic: Walk or run ?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline TerryJ

Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline BATcher

Re: Walk or run ?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
A very sensible article. 
He should have pointed out that "I run" is an anagram of "ruin" (relating to wrecking one's joints, feet, back, etc...)!
Type 2, diagnosed June 1993, on insulin since May 2005; last HbA1c (Jan 2015): 38 mmol/mol = ~5.6%;
early morning: Levemir, 50 u;
at each main meal: NovoRapid, ~12-25 u, with Metformin, 2 x 500 mg;
just before bedtime: Levemir, 50 u; also aspirin, and very reluctantly atorvastatin 10 mg.

Offline lozzark

« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
Twenty years ago I started going to the gym. Part of my chosen exercise was running on a treadmill for one mile.  It took 13 minutes: an ex-colleague remarked "I can walk faster than that!"  After lots of persistence I reduced the time to 8 minutes.  However I developed very severe pains in my shins Whereupon I decided running was not a good idea for an overweight person.  I only ever walk or swim these days.

Although exercise is good, there is such a thing as exercising too much causing distress to the body.
An interesting article discusses the concept of excess free radicals causing stress on the body.
The Free-Radical Dangers of Overtraining and Overeating
T2 Dx 2000 Metformin Gliclazide HbA1c 53 BP 129/79 Cholesterol 5.4, HDL 1.16, LDL 2.9.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
It's not hard to incorporate more walking into your day, just by either parking further away from your destination or walking instead of driving.  Running seems like a deliberate action.  I do a fair bit of walking.  It's why we bought a house in town rather than a nearby village.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Ziggy

• Sometimes I feel like a cartoon character!
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
However I developed very severe pains in my shins Whereupon I decided running was not a good idea for an overweight person.  I only ever walk or swim these days

Shin splits don't last forever and there are exercises you can do for them. Yes they are extremely painful (I had them a few times). They are the result of an imbalance between the muscles in the front and back of your lower leg. Usually happens by doing to much too soon.

For anyone who wants to run or learn to run there is a very good course with podcasts and help and an online support forum (and we all know how beneficial those are)  which takes you gradually from walking to to run 30 minutes - HERE.  Other running programmes are available.

8)    8)    8)
ZigSig:-
T2 Since 22-May-2008 - HbA1c Dec 2015 - 38 or 5.6.  Chol - 5.8

Ramapril 10mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Exercise - am running on a fairly regular basis - knees don't fail me now :)  and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out

Offline pete1140

• am sure I will succeed.....eventually
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2014, 07:28:27 PM »
Never run and prob never will
went to gym and do a 10 min walk on treadmill on max incline and a  pace to get my heart pumping and was told that was just as good

pete1140
dx t2 oct 11 hba1c 11.3, jan 12 8.6, may 8.0 oct'12 7.5%, May 2013  7.1, Jan 2014
now on metformin 500mg 2 tabs @ 8am and 2 tabs at 5pm gliclazide 80mg x2, aspirin 75mg x1,  ramipril2.5mg x 1

Offline JillT

« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
At my age, I'm more concerned with exercise that is sustainable and walking is the only one I've found so far that I actually stick with. I've lost count of the various exercise fads and miracle devices I've tried over the years, but walking is the only one to stick for the long term.
I'm Not Dead Yet
66yo Female, Western Australia
T2 DX'd 7/3/12 - GTT: Fasting 6.4 - 1 hr 14.2 - 2 hrs 12.9
BMI 7/3/12 = 30.4 –> 24.3 (20.18% weight loss)
HbA1c - 12/3/12: 6.2% - 25/1/16: 5.2% - 33
Idiopathic Interstitial Lung Disease/Pulmonary Fibrosis - DX'd Oct 09
No medications
Eating to my meter & Eating real food – Low carb/no grains works for me

Offline lozzark

« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2014, 12:27:52 AM »
However I developed very severe pains in my shins Whereupon I decided running was not a good idea for an overweight person.  I only ever walk or swim these days

Shin splits don't last forever and there are exercises you can do for them. Yes they are extremely painful (I had them a few times). They are the result of an imbalance between the muscles in the front and back of your lower leg. Usually happens by doing to much too soon.

For anyone who wants to run or learn to run there is a very good course with podcasts and help and an online support forum (and we all know how beneficial those are)  which takes you gradually from walking to to run 30 minutes - HERE.  Other running programmes are available.

8)    8)    8)
I'm happy walking or swimming, or something I'm pretty good at: sculling.  But since walking is free I'll stick with that.  There is bridge nearby with a 30% incline.  It takes me 10 minutes to walk up that!
T2 Dx 2000 Metformin Gliclazide HbA1c 53 BP 129/79 Cholesterol 5.4, HDL 1.16, LDL 2.9.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
I'm not a fan of running - that's mostly just personal taste. I respect people who run for sport, but it just isn't for me. I love to walk, especially through woods when I get the chance (not often living in an urban area, but oh well).

I also know that I spend most of my time, like it or not, sitting in a chair. Even when I'm sleeping, the most comfortable position is the fetal position, which is really still sitting in a chair (hips flexed, knees flexed) while lying in bed. I know that this means that I, like most people in our modern age, have all kinds of muscle imbalances. Short hamstrings, short psoas. Short calves from wearing heeled shoes (including running shoes/sports shoes; we don't think of them as heeled shoes but most of them place the heel a good inch or more above the toes). Weak hip, glute, and hamstring musculature (the muscles that are meant to do the weight-bearing work while upright). I have a body that's adapted for chair-sitting, because that's mostly what I do, and those adaptations don't go away when I stand up. That all predisposes me to put excess loads on my knees and lower spine, among many other things. I don't want to take this maladapted-for-being-upright body and expose it to even more force and impact through running.

I'm not saying that, therefore, no one should ever run! I know there are people who enjoy it and really get a lot out of it, and so to them, it's a worthwhile use of their time and their body. I don't, and to me, it's not. I love to work up a good sweat, doing calisthenics and such, but I know that "hard exercise" applied to the body that I have increases my risk for injury (knees and back but also internal things like wounding of the blood vessels which can lead to plaque formation), and I know that exercise doesn't actually have to be hard to be beneficial. Walking (over ground, and with work to counter those sitting adaptations) is incredibly beneficial to the body in terms of forces and loads on bones, muscles (and not just the muscles you would think! For example walking with proper gluteus activation also benefits the pelvic floor muscles overtime; walking outside and looking say, 100 feet ahead benefits the tiny muscles that work to focus the eyes), and the circulatory system. I don't mean to say that running, working to counter the same adaptations, wouldn't also have those benefits, rather that walking DOES have benefits which are often overlooked because it's "not hard enough work."
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
walking outside and looking say, 100 feet ahead benefits the tiny muscles that work to focus the eyes), and the circulatory system.
In Penzance doing that would improve your chances of stepping in dog poo!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
lol yes, there's that!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."