Author Topic: Meatball, fennel seed and mushroom ragu.  (Read 541 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Meatball, fennel seed and mushroom ragu.
« on: 02 November 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Hi all

As near as I can make out, using Cook and Count (which is awkward at times because it needs things in grams rather than teaspoons/tbs) this works out at roughly 18g carb per portion.

I was looking through my freezer the other day and discovered a big bag of unused home made burgers (7 largish ones), now these were pretty simple burgers made with beef mince, onion and a few herbs.  I honestly didn't feel like BBQ or burgers and salad etc.  I wanted something warming and wintery so I decided to reinvent them as meatballs.   I defrosted them and cut each one into 3 and rolled them into meatballs.  You could equally well do this with bought burgers, or if you haven't any left over frozen burgers, just make simple meatballs using beef mince, some minced onion and chuck in whatever herbs you fancy, the sauce is quite a strong flavour so you won't need much flavouring in the meatballs.

35g dried mushrooms
6 tbs olive oil
enough meatballs to serve 4 (there's plenty of sauce)
1 medium onion chopped
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 large rosemary sprig, leaves picked and finely chopped
3 heaped tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
150ml dry cider
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
2 heaped tbs tomato puree
250ml beef stock
3 bay leaves (fresh if poss.  I used dried ones)
300g mushrooms  thickly sliced
A little chopped parsley to serve.

• Cover the dried mushrooms with boiling water and leave to soak for 30 minutes
  • Heat 2 tbs of oil in a large frying pan or wok and brown the meatballs, scoop out and set aside on a plate
  • Fry the onion in the pan over a lowish heat for about 10 minutes until soft and golden
  • Scoop out the dried mushrooms and squeeze out all the liquid (reserve the liquid), add to the pan with the garlic, rosemary, fennel seeds and chilli then fry for 1 - 2 minutes
  • Add the cider and simmer until it has almost all evaporated.
  • Add the meatballs back into the pan with the tomatoes, the soaking liquid from the mushrooms, the stock, the fresh mushroom slices and the tomato puree.  Then simmer uncovered for about 30 - 40 minutes allowing the liquid to reduce until it's thick.  If needed you can add a little more stock.  Or if the sauce is too runny turn up the heat and reduce further.
This made 4 portions for us.  I froze off two portions for a future meal. We ate it with some steamed broccoli and green beans.  It was yummy and very warming. 

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans