Author Topic: Quinoa  (Read 554 times)

Offline TerryJ

Quinoa
« on: 13 November 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
I was looking at Sainsburys offers and they sell quinoa for £1.30 per 300g. It's a grain from the amaranth family but it's only 16.5% carbs of which sugars 0.5%.

I've never tried it before. Anybody else used it for anything ?

Can it be used as a flour substitute ?
Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline Ziggy

• Sometimes I feel like a cartoon character!
Re: Quinoa
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
I used it as a substitute for rice in dishes TerryJ or to add to salads, it has a lot of nutrients and protein in it and is reckoned to be a bit of a superstar amongst the superfoods. Having said that I must check the use by date in the bag I have in the cupboard !!!

8)    8)    8)

ZigSig:-
T2 Since 22-May-2008 - HbA1c Dec 2015 - 38 or 5.6.  Chol - 5.8

Ramapril 10mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Exercise - am running on a fairly regular basis - knees don't fail me now :)  and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2014, 10:49:05 AM »
I bought a bag and made some up but we didn't really like the texture which was rather gluey.  Though I could've made it up wrong.  We threw most of it away.  Try it though, you may like it.  Word of warning a little dry quinoa makes up to an awful LOT of the finished product.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
I've eaten it before, I rather like it - as Ziggy says it's quite nutritious and being a whole grain (wait, is it a grain or a seed?) it's carbs are mediated by fiber and protein to some extent. Although it still is, in the end, a carb food so watch whether it's suitable for BGs.

Main reason I stopped eating it is I ran out of time to prepare it! You need to soak and rinse it (not overnight I don't think, but like a half hour maybe?) else it can have a bitter taste when done. With that done though I find it tastes starchy and nutty but also kind of...sprouty? I liked it anyway! I found the texture to be kind of chewy or springy, but not in the sense that it was hard to chew or unpleasant, it just had a bit of "tooth" to it (like proper pasta would).

I usually just ate it as a sort of pilaf - boiled with butter and salt on. Sometimes I would boil it in chicken stock instead of water for flavor.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
I don't recall soaking it, so perhaps that's where I went wrong!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Ziggy

• Sometimes I feel like a cartoon character!
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
I never soaked it either though - rinsed and rinsed - even got my hands involved to run the grains in the water to remove the bitter coating. It isn't a grain it is a seed of a plant - related to spinach, chard etc and is gluten free. It only took maybe 15 mins to cook but if overcooked it turns into mush so be careful.

8)    8)    8)

ZigSig:-
T2 Since 22-May-2008 - HbA1c Dec 2015 - 38 or 5.6.  Chol - 5.8

Ramapril 10mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Exercise - am running on a fairly regular basis - knees don't fail me now :)  and Diet (am a lacto ova vegetarian and am trying to stay low GI/GL)     Still on the Road To Find Out