Author Topic: discussion on low carbing on a budget ( and price tips too )  (Read 5853 times)

Offline kethry

• The Lettuce Queen
    • Urbania to Stoneheads
Re: discussion on low carbing on a budget ( and price tips too )
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2015, 01:43:52 AM »
Welcome, Pete1140 - hope you can contribute your ideas too!!

Sedge - Yuk Sung, that's it!! not the most attractive name in the world.. lol. And yes, you're right, it does have to be iceberg, or something like little gem, that works too. The floppy lettuce would work for something cold you want to bend though, like a wrap or something.

Patti - so interesting seeing everyone's budget. They do vary quite a lot. (and I was tempted by the chorizo sausages too....!). Baked beetroot is lovely. Will definitely try your recipe. have you ever tried it, baked but cold, with a really creamy goat's cheese? that would proabably work well in a summer salad, with lots of greenery like avocado slices and watercress or something... ohhhh.. roll on summer! Love Lidl's avocados, but you do have to wait for 'em to ripen which can make it tricky for menu planning. We need more avocado recipes i think. I've noticed the warburtons thins too and wondered how well they would do - good to know they can work well with lots of filling :)

himtoo - look to the left.... just for you. :)

Alan - I'd echo what Patti said. Cheap sausages, here, are nasty. For good ones, expect to pay. Having said that I do echo cooking in bulk. I got some oxtail from the market before christmas, loads for 8 quid. filled my 6.5L slow cooker, and with some onion and root veggies, beer and beef stock it made an absolutely gorgeous stew. We polished the last of it off the weekend before last. Did rabbit casserole at about the same time but I'm less fond of that as I'm paranoid about the bones (same reason I'm not so keen on fish). OH adores it though. But rabbit is a good source of lean protein, reasonably cheap, and if you can stomach the bones, a good way to do it. Go for a domestic rabbit unless you like the flavour of game. The slow cooker is definitely my friend. I just wish I had a smaller one - it makes cooking one pot expensive, even if I get a lot of meals out of it - when you don't have a lot of cash, you have to live week to week... :(
T2, diagnosed November 2009. Currently on Metfartin 1g modified-release tablets, mebeverine 135mg tablets. Doc wants me to take Sitagliptin, 100mg tablets. I'm currently refusing. I fell off the wagon big time in 2014. Kick up the backside in January 2015: Hb1Ac was 9.3. Chol not so bad, although Tris and HDL could be better. Time to get things under control... and get a better doctor!

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2015, 05:14:02 AM »
but half a dozen beef sausages are only about $3 or £1.60.
In Australia.   In the UK a decent type of sausage is about £2.50 for 6.  You can get cheap ones full of rusk.
Fair enough. Using good UK snags the sausage content is £0.32 per serve :)
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2015, 10:36:02 AM »
I have no idea what I spend on food at the supermarket and don't really want to know!  When our children were very young in the late 1970's, our mortgage went from 7% to 15% and took most of our money.  In those days with two children under five I was considered unemployable. I went for interviews but as soon as they asked about children, I knew I was sunk.  Fortunately, those questions are not allowed to be asked now.  We mainly lived off cottage pie, beans, spaghetti or egg on toast.  Since then I am careful with money but only up to a point these days as things aren't as tight. 

I don't go to the supermarket every week but then sometimes I go twice in one week and when my youngest son comes to visit for a few days about once a month, there are three of us to feed, so it is difficult to work out what I spend.  Sometimes we have seven for the weekend when my eldest son and his family visit us.  My husband is a big eater and between us we get through five bottles of wine a week, more when we have company.  I also have two cats to feed and buy litter for.   

Good buys for this week  -  Waitrose has a special offer on medium sized avocados @ 45p each.  They also have special offers on some laundry products.

Tesco Finest 10 traditional pork sausages can be bought with other meat under their 3 for £10 offer.  That works out at £3.33, not bad for ten sausages.  They are 97% pork and two sausages contain 1.5 carbs.  They do have a lot of fat in them though, but then I find that with any high % meat sausages that I buy. 
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017.  Pacemaker fitted 2008.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2015, 12:11:55 PM »
I came across these two avocado recipes recently that are simple enough I would actually make them! :

http://www.theironyou.com/2014/08/shawarma-chicken-bowls-with-basil-lemon.html

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/05/recipe-for-chicken-and-avocado-salad.html

I got them from this list (http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/low-carb-lunch#.fd4VWwk6x). Most of the recipes given are a bit too complicated or involve expensive ingredients but there are some good ideas like the tuna salad lettuce wraps, and some things that could serve as inspiration for cheaper/easier versions, for you creative types!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline kethry

• The Lettuce Queen
    • Urbania to Stoneheads
« Reply #19 on: 23 January 2015, 07:29:28 PM »
Paulines7 - another one chiming in for tescos finest sausages. I love the range of them - from the chilli, chorizo ones to the herby lincolnshires... love them all! Can't afford them at the moment though, sadly. Even bacon I'm having to get from Lidl instead of Tescos finest bacon as I was doing before we became so broke (white goo comes out of the lidl one, which it most certainly does not with the tesco one).

Nytquill - that second recipe looks similar to what I make to put into a wrap, but the first looks gorgeous too. Might have to try that one... :)

One thing that occurred to me, on the subject of wraps. another breakfast I used to make in my head-in-the-sand days - fry a tortilla pancake/wrap, so it goes crispy. Ontop, put a rough chopped guacamole, a sort of hot (temp-wise) chilli salsa, refried beans and a fried egg, and then eat. No idea how that would do on the carb count but if you like heat, then this would be the one for you. There are lots of variations on it - look for Huveos Rancheros on google. :)
T2, diagnosed November 2009. Currently on Metfartin 1g modified-release tablets, mebeverine 135mg tablets. Doc wants me to take Sitagliptin, 100mg tablets. I'm currently refusing. I fell off the wagon big time in 2014. Kick up the backside in January 2015: Hb1Ac was 9.3. Chol not so bad, although Tris and HDL could be better. Time to get things under control... and get a better doctor!

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #20 on: 23 January 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
FWIW Cilantro is Coriander in UK speak!  What the heck is Tempeh?  That bread looks good! (from your 3rd link)

Bacon - if you buy it in Lidl buy streaky, it grills up wonderfully and it's very tasty!

I have no experience but a very well-off cook I know swears by Aldi bacon as she says it doesn't produce the nasty white goo, but frankly I've had bacon from Lidl that's been great and some has been yuck so I think it depends on where they buy it.  I truly hate Danish bacon, some Irish and (sorry Keth) some Dutch cos they feed the pigs on fish meal and the bacon tastes fishy.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #21 on: 23 January 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
i wondered what that fishy taste was Patti !!!

and i agree the lidl streaky at £1.49 for 12 rashers is a good buy !
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2015, 10:19:35 PM »
Oooh I hate that - we had to stop having pork years ago cos it ALL tasted of fish unless we had it from an expensive local butcher who bought Gloucester Old Spot pigs from George and Mildred my friend in Bewdley's next door neighbours. (next door's drive being about 3 parts of a mile past theirs)

Instead of photos and paintings of their own ancestors down their (wood panelled LOL) hall walls - they had the prize winning piggies - 'The Marchioness of Blandings' type of thing!

Whenever they showed a bit of The Royal Show on the TV News - there George's bloke would be, marshalling the Spots in the ring !

They stopped feeding it to pigs here some years ago.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Oh that fishy taste is horrible!

Last weekend we had a gorgeous loin of pork from Lidl which started off as a 1 kilo piece @ £6.38 but we'd cut it in half and frozen the 2 bits.  Took one out on Sat night and defrosted it.  Cooked it Sunday evening and it fed 3 of us.  There was still a bit left, so on Monday we re-warmed it wrapped in foil and supplemented it with a small slice of ham each for Monday's dinner.  Now that loin was good value and we still have half in the freezer!  Delicious moist meat with great taste - only downside was it came with no skin so no crackling.

However by contrast on the Friday night we'd got some back bacon out of the freezer that had originally come as a "bargain pack", one of the XXL offers from Lidl and had been separated out and frozen.  I had 2 rashers with my egg on a crumpet on Sat and it was fishy tasting.  On Sunday J was cooking brekkie (his job at weekends) and I said to him, you can have the 3 rashers of back bacon if you want, if I can have 2 rashers of streaky!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline kethry

• The Lettuce Queen
    • Urbania to Stoneheads
« Reply #24 on: 24 January 2015, 01:02:15 AM »
Patti- don't apologise, if it tastes vile then it tastes vile, regardless of where it comes from! Funnily enough, I can't get back bacon (what we think of as proper bacon) in the Netherlands or Germany for love or money. and I know, I've tried! my father-in-law was served English breakfast (the full works) a few times during his career (military) and so every time he sees me, about once a year or so, he asks for an English breakfast. No problem here. Over there, its the bacon that is the tricky part. The closest thing they have is something a bit like parma ham in thinness, but like bacon in texture and colour (i.e. its not as aged as parma ham), but it can be eaten raw, which bacon can't, and which just doesn't do the trick.

Have to say though, that I actually don't like the taste of fat from bacon, so no streaky for me. I have the medallion bit, and OH has the rest. That's a win-win :) doesn't help with the finances though!

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #25 on: 24 January 2015, 01:05:52 AM »
I am very fussy with my bacon and pork and only buy British, but it's not to do with a fishy taste.   I saw a documentary a few years back (Jamie Oliver I think!) and it showed the way pigs are farmed in Denmark and many other EU countries.  They are raised in closed sow stall systems where they can't even lay down. 

I live near Stonehenge and when I drive along the A303, I go past a huge field of several acres, that has many little piggy huts.  The pigs are free to roam and it's lovely to see them running around, searching for roots and wallowing in the mud.  If we are to kill animals then I think they have a right to live a decent life before they are slaughtered.
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017.  Pacemaker fitted 2008.

I want 'em saying

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 24 January 2015, 01:14:06 AM »
I know the precise pig farm to which you refer Pauline!  I always observe with interest as we drive past on the A303!

To me well done streaky is lovely, all crispy!  I'm like your partner Kethry... can leave the medallion if I can have the crispy tail bit!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #27 on: 24 January 2015, 01:44:30 AM »
Patti, there is another pig farm between Amesbury and Salisbury.  I am always pleased to see the pigs having so much freedom on these farms.  The one on the A303 I call "piggy town" as the little huts on the horizon look like a housing estate.  They look close together but I think that is just the perspective because they are so far away.   There is often a traffic jam along that stretch of road and I know many vehicles slow down so people can view the stones but I suspect a few slow down to look at the pigs too!

I want 'em saying

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
putting this in the low carb on a budget section but could go as a side dish or a main too

cauliflower couscous

1 caulflower
3 tpsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cinnamon
zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 bunch of mint leaves roughly chopped

cut caulflower in medium florets then roast at 180C until tender , then let cool.

blitz the florets in food processor - dont overblend until becomes a puree.
add the olive oil , then fluff up the mixture.

then add the salt , pepper , tumeric , cinnamon.

then add in the lemon zest , lemon juic , and chopped mint.

serve as is or heat in a skillet to serve warm.
 :)

T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 25 January 2015, 04:46:04 PM »
Perhaps you could copy it into the recipe section as well Paul?

It sounds as though it will taste very refreshing with the mint.  Is that 3 tablespoons or 3 teaspoons of oil?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans