Author Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 1102 times)

Offline gemsa

Breastfeeding
« on: 12 February 2015, 08:11:09 AM »
Hey there. I thought I'd share this information case it helps anyone else. Fabulous book : "The breastfeeding mothers guide to making more milk" by West and Marasco.

I had lots of problems breastfeeding and due to pain almost exclusively expressed (I've got to stop using the word pumped as that means something different here!) until 8weeks. Luckily we're back on the breast but as the expressing was so "mechanical" milk supply didn't keep up with babies needs. Finally at 14 weeks we're just breast and no formula. If I'd have read this book sooner it would have been sooner though.

The book covers all the problems a bit like a checklist and how to solve them. It also covers what you can do to be proactive (Yay for expressing colostrum at week 36 - a positive thing diabetes added to the process). Turns out impacts of the diabetic pregnancy affects breastfeeding chances in a couple of ways; sleepiness of baby due to c-section/epidural, mix up of hormones/not being ready due to induction, and insulin resistance affecting your milk supply. But the book takes you through all of these in very easy to understand language (easy to read in sleep deprived chunks).
T1 diagnosed 1985, DAFNE Oct 2012 (HBA 9.2%), started pumping April 2013.
HBAs: Feb 2013 8.6%, Jan 2014 7.4%, June 2014 5.9%, Jan 2015 7.5%
Healthy baby delivered Nov 2014 predicted 97th+centile but actually 50th centile.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2015, 02:24:17 PM »
Thanks for recommending that book Gemsa.... not that I shall ever need it (LOL!) but it's a handy thing for new mums.

How are you in yourself now and how is the little one?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline gemsa

« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2015, 07:27:10 AM »
It's a fascinating book. If we weren't already blown away by how clever most bodies are dealing with what us diabetics deal with so easily, then you'll get blown away by how clever the body is in feeding little ones at their every whim and have multiple failsafes to make it very hard not to manage it (unless you don't know what the book tells you of course).

We're doing much better now thanks, life feels "normal" even if routine is rather patchy. Very nearly at the stage of actually focusing on my bloods now - they're doing funny stuff overnight some days being angelic and some days waking at 20. The thirst from breastfeeding means my usual "uh oh I'm rising" symptoms  are hit and miss. But I feel like I might have enough brainpower hiding at the back of the grey matter to start considering it now. (The libre would be so so useful!)
T1 diagnosed 1985, DAFNE Oct 2012 (HBA 9.2%), started pumping April 2013.
HBAs: Feb 2013 8.6%, Jan 2014 7.4%, June 2014 5.9%, Jan 2015 7.5%
Healthy baby delivered Nov 2014 predicted 97th+centile but actually 50th centile.

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2015, 01:01:41 PM »
Hi Gemsa - I'm not Type 1 but I read your post becasue when my son was newborn and for the first six weks or so I had lots of problems breastfeeding - or rather I thought I had problems as my son was breastfeeding at least 17 times in a 24 hour period so it seemed he was never satisfied and I was worried I wasn't making enough milk. At six weeks I went to see a breast feeding counsellor from the La Leche League who assured me that my son was breastfeeding - or nursing as they prefer to call it - just the way he wanted and needed and he was doing exactly what was right for him. She told me a better way to position him which also helped me. He carried on breastfeeding at that amount for heaven knows how long and he thrived ! The more a baby suckles the more milk the mother ends up making even if she doesn't realise it !  And I thrived as really it was an opportunity for me to sit and put my feet up and relax (and you get some lovely hormones as a reward). I drank plenty of water to keep up the milk supply and - what's more important - learned that breastfeeding is not just about the baby getting food, oh no, it's about the baby getting a drink if he/she is thirsty - the mother's milk becomes more or less watery depending on the baby's needs and the weather, it is really quite miraculous. Also the baby breastfeeds simply because it's nice for the baby, even if there's not much milk because they've had it all and it's mostly watery, they just like it and don't we all eat or drink things we like ? So why not a baby ? The bonus of that means they feel happy because they like it….nature wouldn't do otherwise. Oh, also no bottles to sterilize and the stuff is always on tap at just the right temperature so no worries there.

I went on to go to regular La Leche meetings and nearly became a breast feeding counsellor. My son was almost esclusively breastfed for the first two years of his life, he didn't like solids at all, but he thrived, grew properly and was never ill. He finally weaned himself when he was five (years old) which is actually pretty normal amoung primates ! This book is lovely: 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding' : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Womanly-Breastfeeding-Leche-League-International/dp/1905177402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423918368&sr=8-1&keywords=art+of+breastfeeding

all the best - enjoy this time !
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
We're doing much better now thanks, life feels "normal" even if routine is rather patchy. Very nearly at the stage of actually focusing on my bloods now - they're doing funny stuff overnight some days being angelic and some days waking at 20. The thirst from breastfeeding means my usual "uh oh I'm rising" symptoms  are hit and miss. But I feel like I might have enough brainpower hiding at the back of the grey matter to start considering it now. (The libre would be so so useful!)
Yes, isn't it a pity that it's currently unavailable?  I put my name down to be notified when it comes back on sale, but I'm not holding my breath cos I didn't get notified last time.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline feejee

« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2015, 08:05:53 AM »
I too am in awe of breastfeeding, I find it amazing how my milk changes depending on weather, and babies need.

Gemsa, I'm not sure how old your little one is, but if you ever need advice on breastfeeding a baby with big bitey teeth I have had some good advice which worked well with my boy.
Type 2. Diagnosed Feb 2012.  On metformin 2 * 1000mg. Invokana (Canagliflozin) 100mg
hbA1c on diagnosis: 128 mmol/mol or 13.8%
6/12: 60 mmol/mol or 7.8%, 
10/12: 6.6%, 03/12: 6.5% Cholesterol: 4.16 (HDL:0.88, LDL: 2.6, 3G's: 1.56)
10/14: 5.6%
02/16: 7.5%
02/16
6/13: 6.6%
4/14@:5.7%