Author Topic: Roast Lemon tarragon chicken  (Read 492 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Roast Lemon tarragon chicken
« on: 25 March 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
I haven't posted this recipe before because, although it's a firm favourite of ours, it does involve potatoes.  However, Kethry asked and looking at it, even if you prepare it as recommended by Delicious Magazine it's still only 18.4g carb per portion.  The recipe says "Serves 6" though it actually we eat it in 2 meals.  Total carbs for 100g new potatoes are 17.8g carb.. so you can adjust as you feel necessary.  I just use enough for us two for two meals, weigh and adjust from there  :)   The recipe originates from Delicious mag but I have changed and tweaked it slightly.

• 200g full-fat cream cheese (I use Lidl cream cheese with garlic and herbs)
  • 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally, plus 1 large peeled clove, crushed
  • 2 large unwaxed lemons
  • Bunch of fresh tarragon, half the leaves picked and chopped
  • 1 medium (1.8kg) free-range chicken
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 600g new potatoes, in 0.5cm slices
  • 150ml dry white wine.  I've used dry vermouth that had been hanging about in the cupboard when I've not had any spare wine.  You could omit the wine altogether and increase the chicken stock accordingly.
  • 200ml chicken stock
  • Spoon the cheese into a bowl. Add the crushed garlic, the grated zest of 1 lemon and the chopped tarragon. Season, then mix well. Gently ease the skin away from the neck end of the chicken and loosen it over the breast, being careful not to tear. Spoon the cheese mixture inside the skin and smooth so it covers the breast evenly. This is a right pig of a job and I try to use a spoon to stuff the cream cheese mix under the skin, but usually get it all over my hands.  It also helps if you prepare the cheese mixture a few hours before and put it into the fridge to firm up.  Otherwise bung in the freezer for half an hour or so. Tuck any excess skin from the neck underneath to hold in the stuffing.  Any excess cream cheese can be chucked into the roasting pan with the stock and wine.
  • Rub 1 tbsp oil over the chicken and season well. Halve the zested lemon and put it inside the chicken.
  • Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Scatter the sliced potatoes in a roasting tin, drizzle with the remaining oil and season (try to ensure that at least part of each potato slice is in the stock). Put the chicken on top, cut the other lemon into thick wedges and add to the tin. Pour over the wine and stock.
  • Roast for 1 hour. Add the garlic halves and tarragon sprigs to the tin, then roast for 25 minutes more (cover the breasts with foil if they start to brown too soon). The chicken is cooked when the juices run clear when you pierce the fattest part of the leg.
  • Take the chicken out to rest for 10 minutes.  Meantime pour the liquid into a pan and place the potatoes back into the oven to brown up a bit.
  • Reduce the liquid slightly and add some double cream, squeeze the roasted garlic into the sauce.  Reduce further until the liquid has become thick and syrupy.  If it's a bit too runny you can thicken with a tsp arrowroot.
  • When the chicken has rested and the sauce is ready take the potatoes out of the oven, remove the tarragon and lemon halves and serve with the carved chicken.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
Re: Roast Lemon tarragon chicken
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2015, 10:23:42 PM »
great recipe as it is!! mmmmnnnnn ! :) :) :)
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014