Author Topic: My Poorly Skin  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Dr DeEath

My Poorly Skin
« on: 19 May 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
My Poorly Skin

I thought it best to start a new thread as the issue may be much more than dry skin!

Yesterday morning I rang the GPs only to be told my GP was fully booked for two weeks and you could not book further ahead than two weeks. I then asked for any other GP and was told that would still be a week away. Not happy I decided I would leave it and maybe take my increasingly sore leg to Minor Injuries. Anyway I rang first thing this morning and spoke to a totally different receptionist who listened to what I was saying instead of acting like a call centre operator. She asked me if I could be there in 40 minutes and I agreed I would drop in on my way to work. The GP I saw was incredibly through and had read through my notes before I had arrived. After a close examination he took a biopsy as wanted to see if there was an underlying infection as over the past couple of years I have been prescribed a whole array of moisturisers and skin creams (including ones with antibiotics/steroids). I go back in ten days to pick up the results. He said as nothing had seemed effective just to continue with the one that offered the most relief. I asked about Aloe Vera and he said that as it contained a natural anti-bacterial agent there was no hard in using a moisturiser with it but unfortunately prescribing rules did not cover them (I get free prescriptions on age grounds now!) so I brought some at the nearby chemist before getting to work half an hour late!

Will keep you updated.

T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: My Poorly Skin
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2015, 02:47:15 PM »
Hi Dr De'Eath

I know you've mentioned your leg before and I don't think anyone on here would presume to try to diagnose you, other than saying "have you thought of this, here's some pictures" and I'm sure your GP is clued up.  I know I mentioned Necrobiosis to you, when I had a small patch the GP didn't know much (if anything) about it, but the nurse did - the nurse at my GPs is very clued up indeed.  As he's taken a biopsy one would hope that would give some clues at least. 

I was just wondering if you've had thyroid tests and if so what the results were, cos underactive thyroid can cause nasty dry skin.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2015, 06:10:56 PM »
I have had virtually every blood test going and the only one that was borderline was my iron levels that were just above normal. Thyroid was fine as I recall. I will be seeing the diabetes nurse straight after the doctor but I do not hold out much hope as she is BMI obsessed and I think I am ~25.5 these days. Personally I think it is infected as  sometimes think I can detect a very slight odour when I cream the skin that is not the moisturiser.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
Thing is with the thyroid tests they only test TSH which is the hormone which encourages your thyroid to output more if necessary.  Even within different areas of the UK there are variations on what they think that should be.  In the USA the gold standard is to treat if over 3.  In the UK people can go up to 5 or 6 before they will treat, whereas "real normal" is under 2.  So it's always best to find out the number - particularly if you have symptoms.

Anyway, from what you've said about infection it doesn't sound like thyroid problems which are usually just very dry skin rather than any kind of infection.  There are many other causes such as Cellulitis.  Hope your Dr gets to the bottom of it soon.  Please keep us updated.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Argh... When the result was delayed I was told it was the bank holiday (seems to blamed for everything when it is only one day). It turned out they had lost the sample/result so I am back in the morning!

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
Argh! How frustrating for you. Hope you get some results quickly!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2015, 06:27:07 PM »
Well I finally got the a skin sample reanalysed. It came back clear but I suspect it was originally infected (there was a smell not dissimilar to athlete's foot) and this cleared with a steroid cream that I was told to use for five days. The debriding was somewhat interesting. It is really no more than soaking with skin with a mild antiseptic added to the water and using a medical brillo pad! I had two sessions which removed most of the build up and left the skin looking rather thin and pink but definitely healthier. If it starts building up again I will probably try gentle rubbing with exfoliating gloves after a soak in the bath first. The underlying issue (PAD) is still not being addressed and I am going to ask for another Doppler as  have not had one with the bizzare discharge by the hospital. I suspect it will come out worse as my walking has deteriorated further. If it has and it gets nowhere I may try changing GP practice as mine seems to favour children and younger adults!

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2015, 12:13:02 AM »
Sorry,  I understand that your problem hasn't really been diagnosed and you suspect diabetic peripheriphal(sp?) artery disease but isn't it worth pursuing until you get a definitive diagnosis?  I certainly would be doing that.  Though I also understand your frustration with the system.  You can certainly challenge the GP.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
I have been diagnosed with PAD and had a number of angioplasties to one leg. However despite being down for further work including a bypass in the leg I was discharged when the consultant changed and the whole team was restructured. I have been digging around besides arguing the toss with various people and found out some interesting info that I will post sometime. Accountants and statisticians are to blame! :(

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2016, 01:44:40 PM »
Whilst I was off sick I sometimes  drifted in and out of daytime TV. One that was of interest was someone in their late thirties who had a skin condition similar to mine. This was diagnosed a varicose eczema.  It makes me wonder if this is what I have (a double whammy of arteries and veins) and I am going to ring the consultant's secretary this afternoon (if I can get through).

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2016, 03:00:06 PM »
Never heard of it - off to Google go I !

Hope youget some answers though - any sort of eczema is orrible.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2016, 10:11:16 AM »
Wondering if you got through to the secretary if so what she said.

Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have also got psoriasis, just wondering if it's another autoimmune thing?

Actually I have noticed it's nowhere near as bad since I retired, a mere inch patch on each elbow (rather than half my arm) and a little dry bit on my fingers, whereas my fingers used to split open and bleed on everything.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
Wondering if you got through to the secretary if so what she said.

Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have also got psoriasis, just wondering if it's another autoimmune thing?

Actually I have noticed it's nowhere near as bad since I retired, a mere inch patch on each elbow (rather than half my arm) and a little dry bit on my fingers, whereas my fingers used to split open and bleed on everything.

I did get through and she took note of what I said and said she would speak with Mr XXXX, my consultant. About 11:00 this morning I had a call back and she said he was arranging a venous scan before my next appointment. She also said that he remembered my case and said it seemed a plausible explanation as it was more than dry skin and yet did not appear to be a diabetic complication. I have definitely reviced my thoughts about him as I thought it would just be dismissed/ignored!

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2016, 05:51:34 PM »
Great! - they do earn their corn sometimes LOL
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2016, 06:09:18 PM »
Very glad to hear your news and hope this may sort you out!  Comes to something when you have to diagnose yourself doesn't it?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans