Author Topic: Statins Again  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
Re: Statins Again
« Reply #30 on: 11 September 2015, 11:20:54 PM »
I had a total cholesterol of 280+ 7.3+ many years ago. I have used been using statins for 10+ years. My total cholesterol is now 138 3.6 (100-199 2.6-5.2 preferred), HDL is 60 1.6 (>39 1.0 preferred), and LDL is 44 1.1 (0-99 2.6 preferred). My doctor and I are pleased with that, but I do sometimes thank my muscle weakness and fatigue may be partially due to statins. Maybe my age (76) may have something to do with that.  ;)
I have inserted UK numbers in bold. I calculated your triglycerides to be 170 1.9 . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Your HDL is excellent. However, I am not so sure I agree with your doctor's happiness with low LDL. I think you might find these papers interesting:
I realise you are T1 so the second one may not apply. We are both approaching venerability, mate. We are all going to depart this mortal coil some day. Preferably I'd like to fade away in my sleep, but if my devil's choice at that time is cancer, Parkinson's or a swift heart attack I know which I would choose.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline JillT

« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2015, 12:19:03 AM »
Here is a recent article on the mechanism of statins causing muscle weakness:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/298911.php

I'm Not Dead Yet
66yo Female, Western Australia
T2 DX'd 7/3/12 - GTT: Fasting 6.4 - 1 hr 14.2 - 2 hrs 12.9
BMI 7/3/12 = 30.4 –> 24.3 (20.18% weight loss)
HbA1c - 12/3/12: 6.2% - 25/1/16: 5.2% - 33
Idiopathic Interstitial Lung Disease/Pulmonary Fibrosis - DX'd Oct 09
No medications
Eating to my meter & Eating real food – Low carb/no grains works for me

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #32 on: 12 September 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
Hmm... That article suggests that cholesterol is a major factor in Heart disease and I thought that more up to date research suggests that the root cause is not cholesterol, a natural and much needed building block for all our cells, but arterial inflammation.

The Swedish study also suggests lesser all cause mortality with a rather higher cholesterol than what seems to be still being recommended.  I am delighted with my total chol being 5.8 as it was at my last test.  The lipid breakdown was excellent too.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline graj0

« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/608210/statins-age-you-faster-new-research-suggests-long-term-use-warning

So when I've been complaining about my very poor memory and the GP says it's your age, she was right, just that I was aging quicker than I should have been. I'm very unhappy about what this drug has probably done to me, very unhappy that I may never have the proper empirical evidence. Even the research referred to, if I'm not mistaken, or should I say, if my memory serves me well, is what happens to stem cells in a dish. 
Graham
Type II since '97? Metformin 2 gm, Gliclazide 0 gm (was 240), Januvia 0 mg (was 25 mg) Atorvastatin 0 mg (was 40), Doxazosin 8 mg, Amlodapine 10 mg, Lisinopril 20 mg.

Offline JillT

« Reply #34 on: 28 September 2015, 05:02:15 AM »
Another nail - David Diamond's IHMC on Demonisation & Deception in Cholesterol Research:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=312&v=yX1vBA9bLNk

I'm Not Dead Yet
66yo Female, Western Australia
T2 DX'd 7/3/12 - GTT: Fasting 6.4 - 1 hr 14.2 - 2 hrs 12.9
BMI 7/3/12 = 30.4 –> 24.3 (20.18% weight loss)
HbA1c - 12/3/12: 6.2% - 25/1/16: 5.2% - 33
Idiopathic Interstitial Lung Disease/Pulmonary Fibrosis - DX'd Oct 09
No medications
Eating to my meter & Eating real food – Low carb/no grains works for me

Offline graj0

« Reply #35 on: 28 September 2015, 08:04:52 AM »
Another nail - David Diamond's IHMC on Demonisation & Deception in Cholesterol Research:

Brilliant, nice and easy to understand for people like me with poor mental capacity these days. Were statins responsible? I'll probably never know, I'm looking into Dr Terry Wahls' publications, very interesting, and again, I seem to understand her simple way of explaining things, even when she starts talking about mitochondria. We'll make a scientist of me yet. LOL
Graham
Type II since '97? Metformin 2 gm, Gliclazide 0 gm (was 240), Januvia 0 mg (was 25 mg) Atorvastatin 0 mg (was 40), Doxazosin 8 mg, Amlodapine 10 mg, Lisinopril 20 mg.

Offline Alan

« Reply #36 on: 28 September 2015, 11:23:29 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=312&v=yX1vBA9bLNk

I did some searching on the web and found this pdf free full text of a 2006 paper he mentions: Long Term Effects of Ketogenic Diet in Obese Subjects with High Cholesterol Level

Click on the "Download Full Text" button on the right after the page loads. For those unable to load it, here is the abstract:
Abstract

Objective:
Various studies have convincingly shown the beneficial effect of ketogenic diet (in which the daily consumption of carbohydrate is less than 20 grams, regardless of fat, protein and caloric intake) in reducing weight in obese subjects. However, its long term effect on obese subjects with high total cholesterol (as compared to obese subjects with normal cholesterol level) is lacking. It is believed that ketogenic diet may have adverse effect on the lipid profile. Therefore, in this study the effect of ketogenic diet in obese subjects with high cholesterol level above 6 mmol/L is compared to those with normocholesterolemia for a period of 56 weeks.

Materials and methods: In this study, 66 healthy obese subjects with body mass index (BMI) greater than 30, having high cholesterol level (Group I; n = 35) and those subjects with normal cholesterol level (Group II; n = 31) were selected. The body weight, body mass index, total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol, urea, creatinine, glucose and triglycerides were determined before and after the administration of the ketogenic diet. Changes in these parameters were monitored at 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48 and 56 weeks of the treatment.

Results: The body weight and body mass index of both groups decreased significantly (P < 0.0001). The level of total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and blood glucose level decreased significantly (P < 0.0001), whereas HDL cholesterol increased significantly (P < 0.0001) after the treatment in both groups.

Conclusion:
This study shows the beneficial effects of ketogenic diet following its long term administration in obese subjects with a high level of total cholesterol. Moreover, this study demonstrates that low carbohydrate diet is safe to use for a longer period of time in obese subjects with a high total cholesterol level and those with normocholesterolemia.
(Mol Cell Biochem 286: 1–9, 2006)
--
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Alan

« Reply #37 on: 28 September 2015, 11:29:37 PM »
I am trying to find all the papers he mentions. I will amend this post as I find them. If possible I will seek fre full texts; if not available I'll post the abstract. Some have been listed on the forum before, but not all in one place.

--

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #38 on: 28 September 2015, 11:46:29 PM »
I have been trying to low carb today, but it's so easy to mount up carbs without thinking that the food is high carb!  Lunch was a lentil soup (with carrot, onion, garlic, chopped tomatoes and kale served with yoghurt), prepared by me from fresh ingredients that racked up as 27g carb per portion.

Dinner was a chicken breast cooked with some courgettes, dried thyme, chilli salt and pepper and a couple of slices of goat's cheese topped with fresh basil, all wrapped in baking paper "en papillote" done in the oven for 25 mins, served with some tenderstem broccoli and sliced runner beans stir fried in a tbs wild garlic pesto, followed by some raspberries, strawberries and some clementine segments... all in all it added up to 70g carb!

Perhaps I am hijacking this thread?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #39 on: 29 September 2015, 01:28:32 AM »
Continuing, as I seem to have exceeded the limit for amendments. If anyone has the full text of The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial ResultsII I would be very interested to read the acknowledgements and funding section.
Books acknowledged in his conclusion (links to bookdepository):

The Great Cholesterol Myth
The Cholesterol Myths
The Great Cholesterol Con
--