Author Topic: worrying :(  (Read 2196 times)

Offline RebeccaM429

worrying :(
« on: 10 September 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
Hi I'm new to here, but have had this worry for a long time :(. I'm type 1, have been for 14 years, I'm 22. Me and my boyfriend have been together 6 years. We haven't ever tried for a baby but defo want one in the future. I've always had this fear in the back of my mind thinking I wont be able to conceive because of my irregular periods and my diabetes. Don't get me wrong, my periods have got so much better as I've got older, for the last 3/4 years, they have been nearly every month for 5/6/7 days, maybe not the same date every month but once a month yes. But just so scared about this, yeah I know I'm young, but has anyone had the same fear? Need some reassurance or guidance to tell me everything will be alrite:( thankyou

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: worrying :(
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
Hi Rebecca!

It's perfectly normal to be worried. I think every one of us has at least one fear deep down, when it comes to diabetes, and usually more than one. However, I'm happy to say that there's nothing to do with diabetes itself that will make it harder for you to conceive. There are other conditions that a lot of diabetic moms also have, things like PCOS for example, that do have an impact on conception, but that's not due to the diabetes itself, and plenty of non-diabetic moms have those problems as well.

Have a look through this pregnancy section and see all the type 1 moms that have conceived and delivered healthy, happy babies. In fact, the reason most of them aren't around on the forum right now is because they're too busy off raising their families! So it definitely CAN be done and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Being pregnant with diabetes is hard work though, you have to keep your numbers a lot tighter than you usually do - and in fact you need to start doing that before you ever try to conceive in the first place. But as long as you have good control and get proper prenatal care it is absolutely doable!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline RebeccaM429

« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
Thankyou very much for your reply nytquill! :) still having alot of worry but your kind words have helped me :) I will continue to look through this section and see all the different experiences. Just a alot on my mind, that I always think the worst case scenario first:(

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
Hi Rebbecca and welcome to the forum. 

These days, with the better treatment we have there is no need to worry.  So many mums have passed through this section and had so many healthy babies.  We had a forum meet in the summer and there were 3 mums there with a total of 5 babies - all healthy and little monkeys.

If you are thinking of trying to conceive you need to see your Dr and ask for the higher dosage Folic Acid tablets and also to try to get tight control which will help, though I have known mums who have conceived whilst their Hba1cs have been higher than recommended and their children have been fine.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline RebeccaM429

« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2015, 06:51:57 PM »
Hi Patti, thankyou for your reply! :) that's so good to hear! :) yeah me and my boyfriend arnt trying yet, but when we are, Il be sure to get more folic acid + c my Dr for all advice on how to keep my levels :) tight controls? Do u mean of my sugar levels? And so good to hear of similar woman who are now mums with all the healthy babies that have had similar worries to me :) slowly putting my mind at rest

Offline Dollyrocker

« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2015, 09:39:27 PM »
Hi Rebecca, what you're feeling is completely normal, we spend so long trying not to get pregnant that when we start trying its naturally stressful!

The key thing is to get your hba1c down to the low/mid 6s ideally and start taking the prescribed high dose folic acid, even if you're not trying yet it doesn't hurt to start taking it.

My son is 2 now and I had a very 'normal' pregnancy despite my diabetes, it can be done.

If you have more questions I'm happy to help :)

7/2014 7.2 (55) / 4/2015 7.3 (56) 1/2016 7.0 (53)
pumping with a shitty Accu Chek Insight

Offline RebeccaM429

« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2015, 07:59:01 PM »
Thankyou Dolly :) yeah I know! I've never thought of it like that! :) I'm gna start taking the folic acid, even if I'm not ready yet. I'm so glad that you have a healthy boy! :) gives me lots of hope and confidence that some day Il have a healthy child as well, despite my diabetes

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2015, 07:59:25 AM »
Hi RebeccaM429
welcome to the forum :)

being a bloke I don't have much in the way of practical help but I just want to say you are in the right place here as we have a great bunch of ladies so keep posting and let us all know how you are getting on !!
all the best !
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2015, 08:46:10 AM »
Yes, Rebecca, I meant controlling your blood glucose.  I would recommend getting a book called "Think like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheinef and reading it.  It will tell you lots of things you have probably never been told about how to maintain better BGs.  I certainly learned from it.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline RebeccaM429

« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2015, 01:38:42 PM »
Hi himtoo, yes they have been very helpful and reassuring already :) and I thought that's what u ment Patti, I shall look for the book online :) thanks again guys

Offline RebeccaM429

« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
Hi guys, me again, my periods had got regular every month for ages, until last month I didn't have one, now I'm still waiting this month :( did a pregnancy test and that was negative, now I'm starting to worry again, I know this happened when I first started getting periods but it hasn't in a long time, I have been suffering from insomnia though, been very run down lately

Offline Lucy

« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2015, 01:46:07 PM »
hi rebecca, being stressed and run down could mess up hormones a bit, making periods less regular
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline RebeccaM429

« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
Thanks Lucy :( just worrying me a bit atm, trying to sort out my sleeping pattern

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2015, 12:01:07 AM »
What's wrong with your sleeping pattern?  Anything we can help with?

By the way, not everything is diabetes related.  It might be worth discussion your menses with your doctor.  Plus, and I hate to say this... my friend had several negative pregnancy tests and it wasn't until the doc sent her for a scan and the technician said "nothing wrong with you except a 5 month baby in there"  Mind you, that was 29 years ago (I'm going to the baby's wedding next year) and I expect the tests are much more accurate now.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline RebeccaM429

« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2015, 11:17:20 AM »
I just cant fall asleep most of the time Patti :( I don't understand it, Il go to bed but just lay there with my eyes open, its driving me insane. But I think alot of it is I have no job so no routine :(. And well yeah I only did one test, I think there much more accurate these days than they were then yeah, i know my period is coming been getting pains an and off, spotty, very firm stomach