Author Topic: worrying :(  (Read 2196 times)

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: worrying :(
« Reply #15 on: 15 October 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
I have trouble sleeping off and on myself. In my case it's usually down to anxiety and stress - I can't get my brain to "quiet down" and stop running through everything I have to do or worrying about things I might have forgotten to do, etc. Sometimes if I'm having a depressive period as well, brain keeps running dark or negative thoughts round and round, I end up getting into a very emotional state which also keeps me from sleeping. If that's your situation as well, I recommend mindfulness meditation! It's surprising how much work it takes to STOP thinking all the time and just be; it actually takes some practice to do. And mindfulness meditation makes you practice it. Of course the goal of mindfulness meditation is usually to become more aware, not less (i.e. not fall asleep) but I find that the techniques you learn for clearing your mind and focusing on something calming, like your breathing, are really helpful for sleep.

Another thing is, are you getting tired enough to be able to sleep well? A lot of us actually aren't active enough during our days - especially if we have desk jobs or aren't getting out much - to get the body to a point where it feels like it "needs" to sleep at a certain time. The brain may be tired but the body isn't. So maybe getting some more activity during the day could help. Doesn't have to be strenuous or sporty, just something that uses energy. Walking is my personal favorite, or else calisthenics type videos done in my living room with the curtains shut - but really anything you like to do that gets you moving!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2015, 01:38:22 PM »
Hi again Rebecca

I can empathise with the not getting to sleep issue.   I lay awake last night until 3am having gone to bed at midnight.  I was going through the contents of my freezer and deciding when and how to cook what.  Completely pointless exercise as I wasn't going to get up and start cooking and anyway the stuff is frozen and isn't going to spoil!  Not even anything worth thinking about, and certainly nothing to cause me insomnia! ;) In the end I turned on the light and read for half an hour which calmed me and I fell asleep eventually.  It was just a lack of exercise yesterday.  I hadn't had any real exercise as I'd been sitting in a car most of the afternoon.  I am retired and so can suit myself what I do.   As a rule I like to get out and at least walk into town (we live 15 mins walk from the centre) and back and am usually pretty active all day.  So I endorse Nyt's suggestion about getting a bit more exercise.

I've also constructed a routine since I retired (well, got made redundant in truth, but since I was past retirement age it seemed like fate).  At least one day a week I volunteer as a receptionist and other times I do some spasmodic voluntary work.  It all helps you not to feel pointless.

I wonder if you'd be open to doing some voluntary work?  I know not all of it is going to be of interest, but if you could find something you liked doing it might be worth it.  The place I worked before redundancy was an organisation that facilitated volunteering and they have many many voluntary jobs in different sectors.  Also as a volunteer you are on the spot if a paid vacancy occurs in the organisation and I have seen many people use it as a pathway to work.  I was offered the p/t reception job where I volunteer when it came up, but said no thanks I was enjoying retirement.  There's a website with opportunities which will cover your area I think  https://do-it.org/

I know my suggestion doesn't help sleeplessness, except it might generate more of a routine for you, and please don't take offence.  I'm not trying to preach or anything.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2015, 04:48:17 PM »
The problem with voluntary work is if you're then not free to do job interviews etc  if you need to claim benefits, your benefits may be cut. My second daughter left University in summer, then had to claim Job Seekers in August and was then sent on "work experience", just at a local supermarket. She had to work full time hours for a whole month before she would know if they were deciding to take her on or not. There were other people on this same type of work incentive too. Luckily she was one of the ones taken on (she works really hard), given an 8 hour contract (these low hour contracts are awful as then they can't do any other job in case the first job calls them to go in for extra hours) and she's been working a good 50 hours a week ever since.

If you're looking for work it's worth seeing if the job centre can help in any way or check out apprenticeships for young people or part time college courses. Voluntary work is great if it doesn't interfere with your benefits.

When I can't sleep I write down all my worries on a note pad and promise myself I'll deal with them tomorrow (or at least look at it) so that I don't need to worry about it that night. A friend of mine always says if the worrying won't change whats going to happen before morning then why spend all night worrying :) I like that logic!! Doesn't always convince my brain to obey but I like it lol

Also a drop in progesterone (just before your period) will make it harder to sleep. It's also harder to sleep around ovulation thanks to the increase in oestrogens (it's all to do with that oestrogen/progesterone balancing act). Such fun being a woman eh? ;)
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
The problem with voluntary work is if you're then not free to do job interviews etc  if you need to claim benefits, your benefits may be cut.
That's not true actually V.  The definition of volunteer means it is voluntary so if you have a job interview that obviously takes precedence and any reputable company or business who have volunteers are well aware of that and are most understanding.  Volunteers are not supposed to be "instead of" paid employees, but "in addition to" so a phone call to the place you are volunteering notifying them that you will not be in on X day because you have an interview is quite sufficient.  It is highly unlikely your benefits will be cut if you explain to the JobCentre that you are doing voluntary work.  In fact our local JobCentre send people seeking work to us to find them volunteer work as it adds to their cv and enhances their skills and knowledge.  When I worked at the place I now volunteer at I spent quite some time training other volunteers in admin procedures, they were a huge help as their knowledge increased but we did not rely on them to take the place of paid workers and were always aware that any job opportunity came first.

The scheme your daughter was on is quite different and though I don't know a lot about that particular scheme it sounds similar to what my two god-daughters did when they left uni.  I think they referred to it as an internship.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Lucy

« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2015, 06:49:38 PM »
i find tensing and relaxing each muscle in turn helps, working up or down the body.

EG
Tense / curl toes, hold a few seconds counting slowly in head, relax toes saying relaxxxx in head, tense the toe muscles again so they curl up tight, then relax again saying relax in head
Then do foot - tense muscles as tight as you can, hold, relax, hold. Keep working up the body. As you relax more and more muscles try and feel them sinking into the bed.

This helps because you need to feel relaxed to sleep. By tensing each muscle then relaxing you give yourself a greater contrast, so it makes it easier to recognise the relaxed feeling when you've showed yourself the tense feeling just before.
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Venomous

« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
The problem with voluntary work is if you're then not free to do job interviews etc  if you need to claim benefits, your benefits may be cut.
That's not true actually V.  The definition of volunteer means it is voluntary so if you have a job interview that obviously takes precedence and any reputable company or business who have volunteers are well aware of that and are most understanding.  Volunteers are not supposed to be "instead of" paid employees, but "in addition to" so a phone call to the place you are volunteering notifying them that you will not be in on X day because you have an interview is quite sufficient.  It is highly unlikely your benefits will be cut if you explain to the JobCentre that you are doing voluntary work.  In fact our local JobCentre send people seeking work to us to find them volunteer work as it adds to their cv and enhances their skills and knowledge.  When I worked at the place I now volunteer at I spent quite some time training other volunteers in admin procedures, they were a huge help as their knowledge increased but we did not rely on them to take the place of paid workers and were always aware that any job opportunity came first.

The scheme your daughter was on is quite different and though I don't know a lot about that particular scheme it sounds similar to what my two god-daughters did when they left uni.  I think they referred to it as an internship.

It's good that the Job centre won't mind then. I don't know about internship (sounds interesting), I think this was just work experience that mine did.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
I think we are de-railing Rebecca's thread and I'd rather not.  Perhaps start another V?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline gemsa

« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2015, 08:27:14 PM »
Hi Rebecca, well done for thinking ahead! Agree with those who've mentioned the folic acid 5mg, you need it in your system for three months before conception. But there's no harm in taking it for much longer than that.

I had a little boy nearly a year ago and have been type 1 for 30 years. We had a failed induction (cesarean) at 37 weeks but he arrived perfectly healthy and happy. I found the pregnancy hard hard work, but well worth it. It's very hard to separate diabetes from pregnancy and your body will do what it will do, but good blood scores help the process but don't rule out issues. I'm starting to think about getting my body/bloods ready for second baby and I plan to be so much more laid back and less worried about this one!

I don't know if I skim read past it but I don't think you've mentioned how your bloods actually are? My periods used to be irregular when my bloods were bad but when I tightened up my control they became regular almost to the hour. There are a lot of blood vessels and capillaries down there and so blood sugars can have an impact on its workings. But again, you may just be an irregular kind of gal irrespective of diabetes.

There will be other reasons and not just diabetes for your reproductive organs not playing ball, but if you can rule out the diabetes it helps you work with the others.

Also, a positive pregnancy test will never lie, whether a poundland test kit or one of these fancy digital ones - if it says you're pregnant then you are. But a negative test is less clear cut, it just means your hormones haven't raised enough to show up. Mine took 4 days past my expected day of period to have raised enough on a test.
T1 diagnosed 1985, DAFNE Oct 2012 (HBA 9.2%), started pumping April 2013.
HBAs: Feb 2013 8.6%, Jan 2014 7.4%, June 2014 5.9%, Jan 2015 7.5%
Healthy baby delivered Nov 2014 predicted 97th+centile but actually 50th centile.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
Hi Gemsa

How nice to see you again.  Hope you are well, sounds exciting trying for no 2  :)   Perhaps start another thread?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline gemsa

« Reply #24 on: 24 October 2015, 09:38:02 PM »
Thanks Patti. We're not quite at that stage yet. Last hba was 8.2 oops. Going out to different baby groups and guessing cake carbs isn't one of my skills apparently. The willpower to say no to 'easy' food is hard with a little one running round. Need a target in sight to get motivated and prep for number 2 is that target!
T1 diagnosed 1985, DAFNE Oct 2012 (HBA 9.2%), started pumping April 2013.
HBAs: Feb 2013 8.6%, Jan 2014 7.4%, June 2014 5.9%, Jan 2015 7.5%
Healthy baby delivered Nov 2014 predicted 97th+centile but actually 50th centile.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 25 October 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
Well, keep posting on the forum Gemsa and get some support from the members to help you.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans