Author Topic: Exercise and repeated muscle aches  (Read 903 times)

Offline binky21

Exercise and repeated muscle aches
« on: 22 September 2015, 12:48:04 AM »
I am morbidly obese and went through some really bad stuff a few years back and literally have sat on the couch for 3 years.  I know weigh about 350lbs or 141 kgs.

So I am finally feeling better.  My weight has worsened of course and I cant even walk around the block.  My diabetes is ramping up.  So I decide I am going to exercise, just gently but do it manageably and regularly.  Aim to do 1/2 a kilometre walk on the flat building up to  1km and going at least once every day.  So I start at.3 km and that's fine, next day .4 of a km and then after I get back indoors, I have really painful muscle strains in my calves and in the muscles going into my knees both above and below.  Then cant walk again for about 5 days and over 2 months now I have had this constant cycle of muscle aches which often stop me .2km in and I have to give up in fear of making it worse.

Then I might get 3 days where it doesn't happen and I push up to my .5 km and then muscle soreness again.  So what to do and why?  It is only occurring on one leg and the ongoing pain seems to have now largely settled on the calf or hamstring of my left leg.

Is it because my weight is too much for my legs?  Is it because of posture/gait?  I read somewhere that through prolonged disuse muscles can shorten and I wonder if this is what has happened?  Does this sound right?  Should I keep exercising when it gets painful or stop and leave it a few days?  I am making progress, overall it has gone from very painful in a number of muscles to merely a liveable amount of discomfort in mainly one muscle area.  Should I be doing hamstring stretches or similar throughout the day.  What do you think?

I may be huge but I want to start moving and do it every day.  I know aqua walking is a great option but truly at my weight I couldn't cope with the humiliation.  I live in the country so walking is a very pleasant and relatively discrete option.

I don't want to give up and am just wondering what the answer is as 2+ months is a long time to keep having muscle strain from gentle walking.

Cheers.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Exercise and repeated muscle aches
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2015, 03:53:45 AM »
Personally, and bearing in mind I'm not a physiotherapist, just some person on the internet with an interest for biomechanics, I would opt for stretching both calves and hamstrings throughout the day. Muscles do shorten with disuse or more accurately with overuse of certain positions rather than others (sitting, for example). But they can lengthen again if you keep putting them in positions where they need to be long.

I really recommend having a read of the blog posts/articles over at katysays.com - I'm not affiliated in any way but I find the site to be very informative and easy to understand. There are lots of stretches and exercises put forward for calves, hamstrings and generally correcting various issues with pain and mobility. Also very encouraging about these things being changeable if you give your body the right circumstances!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Lucy

« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
Could you ask a dr for advice about this? Maybe you could keep doing the level of walk that doesn't cause problems. Would doing two seperate 0.25km walks per day cause problems? Eg one in the morning one in the evening, to do the 0.5km you want to achieve that way? Also you could look up chair exercises online to do other exercises than walking for a while, as well as any stretching or gentle exercises you could do.
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
Also are you sure it's the walking causing the leg pain?  Are you on a statin drug?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline binky21

« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2015, 01:56:27 AM »
Sorry all it took me so long to reply.  I forgot to bookmark the post.

I went to Katysays and started those stretching exercises and I am finally free of the aches!  I have had a week of 1/2 a km and am now kicking it up a tiny bit and will try and increase it a little each week.    I have a bit of an arthritic knee which usually becomes self limiting at about a km but I have been taking Joint Astin (Astaxanthin and joint supplements) and so far at .6 of a km, I haven't had even the slightest twinge so its looking good.  Glorious weather today so I am going to go and do another 1/2 a km in another hour or two so we will see how the knee holds up.

Well worth noting for anybody else out there who is completely inactive due to weight or an extended period of illness.  Muscles do shorten after reasonable periods of disuse and they need a few weeks of stretching upper, lower legs and glutes probably before you launch into exercise.    Even walking!