Author Topic: Musclefood Alterntives  (Read 1130 times)

Offline boing00

Musclefood Alterntives
« on: 26 December 2015, 10:26:09 PM »
hi im new to the forum and although have not yet been diagnosed with T2... im pretty sure I am judging by my numbers and a bit of good advice off this website...

However im now determined to get it right so i can i please ask your advice on these...

Indian Cauliflower Rice

Zero Carb Rice

Pasta/noodles

And the protein pizza whcih still seems very high in carbs

I did have links to these but just realised they are a no no.

now im not really asking how they taste but are they ok on a diabetic diet? I used to be vege and because I personally defaulted to carbs I believe its a combination of this and more recent factors that have got me into the mess im in today.... Im happy to go paleo as ive done it before but if I can have a curry or something on the weekend with the above instead of carbs its going to make life alot easier.

Happy to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance
Merry Crimbo

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Musclefood Alterntives
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2015, 10:41:48 PM »
However im now determined to get it right so i can i please ask your advice on these...

Indian Cauliflower Rice

Zero Carb Rice

Pasta/noodles

And the protein pizza whcih still seems very high in carbs

Frankly unless we know what you are talking about precisely how can we comment?  So far as the way I process cauli rice it's really low carb.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline boing00

« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2015, 11:40:05 PM »
Hi okay its the food on the musclefood website..... it wont let me post a link so I cant show you but thats ok ill figure it out

Thanks
Kris

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2015, 11:56:42 PM »
Yes. OK Kris you look like you want to push that website, spam?  I think so and we don't tolerate it.  Please don't push it by one more post or you will be banned.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline boing00

« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Patti

I dont want to push the website at all but i understand your concerns. im really not interested in anything other than sorting my health out.

Kris

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2015, 11:24:57 AM »
Good.  It's not hard to find the site and frankly their Cauli rice is a rip off at £3 when you can buy a cauliflower and make your own for pennies.  Look in our recipe section for low carb alternatives to rice and pizza bases etc.  I also thought they were charging exorbitant prices for meat.  900g duck breast for £22.50!!!!!  We had a 900g duck breast from Aldi for Xmas lunch and it was £4.99.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline boing00

« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
ok Patti

Thanks for this ill explore the site more.... there is so much to take in! :)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
Well, there is indeed a lot to take in... have a read of this, it gives suggestions for lower carb alternatives http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=248
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2015, 01:46:58 PM »
Well, there is indeed a lot to take in... have a read of this, it gives suggestions for lower carb alternatives http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=248
Hi Kris
i will just add to what Patti is saying by saying this -- try your best to take things 1 day at a time , and try not to worry.
all the best !!
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #9 on: 27 December 2015, 09:39:45 PM »
It's important not to get "seduced," if you will, by the idea of a diet plan or program, or a commercial website. I think it's natural to find it appealing, the idea that someone has worked it all out for us, put it all together, and all we have to do is follow the rules that have been set out by someone else. It feels reassuringly black and white, easy decision-making, when you're feeling confused and disheartened.

The problem is that it's misleading. Because "what to eat with diabetes" is not a black and white thing, in fact nutrition in general isn't. There is no one diet plan or program that will work for every diabetic (even, and in fact ESPECIALLY not diet plans that are actually labelled as being "for diabetics!"). And a lot of these plans have other agendas - for lack of a better word - that may or may not coincide with what is actually best for you as a presumed diabetic. Commercial sites, especially, tend to be exploitative rather than actually trying to help you make the best decisions for yourself. In general, if you can name the food plan, be wary. Which is not to say that you can't use them too if they fit with your values or goals, but just going vegetarian or paleo or South Beach etc. in itself may not actually solve anything without some additional knowledge on your part. Most of us find that eating in a low-carb way works out the best for getting the BG readings we want, but even then, you have to be wary of companies/products that are looking to capitalize on the "low-carb" label. That is, just because it's advertised as low-carb doesn't mean it actually is, or that it's right for you.

I hate to say it, but the best thing you can do is to work out your best diet from scratch, making your own decisions, learning for yourself what works and what doesn't. And by "what works" and "right for you" I mean foods that, about 90 minutes after you start eating them, give you readings on your BG meter that you are happy with, especially when compared to a reading taken just before eating. That is the only metric that ever counts - not carb count, not whether it's paleo-approved (or any other type of diet) just "what does it do to my BG." Because of differences in body chemistry, foods that are perfect for one person's BG may be a nightmare for someone else. Hence why any one-size-fits-all type of eating plan just doesn't work, and why every diabetic has to go through their own learning curve in the beginning about food.

It's not as bad as it sounds. It's completely doable - after all, everyone here has been where you are right now! But it does mean there is no real "easy button."

p.s. part of living with diabetes is being able to actually LIVE with it, so treats are allowed from time to time! It's up to you to decide what is the best balance between "getting the readings I want as much of the time as possible" and "enjoying favorite foods that aren't good for my readings". But it IS important to balance the two, otherwise you'll just make yourself miserable!  On the other hand, sometimes you can do both! Cauli rice is quite a successful replacement for rice for most people, so I should think a cauli rice curry would be a good compromise. Though there may still be some carbs hidden in the sauce, depending how you make it!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 27 December 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
Hi Kris - it never ceases to amaze me what lengths people (like that site, but they are just a drop in the ocean) go to, to exploit gullible people.  Or the length that scammers go to either.  However we aren't in it for money, and we ain't gullible either and so, we tend to give the perps very short shrift indeed!  LOL

A whole, fresh cauli costs under £1, and all you have to do with it is grate it which isn't exactly classed as hard work cos caulis themselves are just not that mega-solid when raw, now are they?  Or should you happen to have a handy food processor you can do it in them dead easy (but have to get em out, and then have to wash em up, which I find far more onerous actually than doing it by hand and just rinsing the grater under the hot tap!)  Then, virtually dry-fry the cauli, throw whatever you're having with it on top, and Robert's your uncle.  Also cauli makes good mash instead of spuds,  and if you want you can cook a bit of mince, stick it in an ovenproof dish, spread the mash on top, add a soupcon of grated cheddar, and bung the dish under the grill - voila, carb-free Cottage pie.

If you aren't over-fond of the taste of cauli, make sure what you use is as fresh as poss though, or even start off with frozen cauli - though of course it would need to be partially thawed (not much) to grate it for rice.  Older cauli tastes more of cauli!  LOL  (I quite like the taste anyway)
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Venomous

« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
It would be wonderful if fat could turn to muscle overnight wouldn't it? I wish that too!

I don't think you're going to need a different place to buy foods, just to be careful of the foods you do buy. It's all so confusing at first to know what to eat and how to eat it, but as others have said diabetes is a very individualised condition and what works for one person is not necessarily going to work for someone else.

I understand about the whole veggie debate as I ate vegetarian for many years, but it is easier to eat low carb if meat is included in your diet. Some of my other "goto" foods are, eggs, fish, nuts, olives, raspberries, coconut. I exclude sugar from my diet as much as possible and I'm a little leary of sweeteners though some people use them just fine, but personally I'd rather have tea without sugar for instance than tea with sweetener, but that's a personal choice. It's the same for me with foods like pizza, rice, pasta etc, I'd personally just rather not have those foods (and have a larger serving of veg instead) but it's up to you. Sweet potato is low(er) carb than normal potatoes and basmati rice lower carb than long grain so you can find "easy replacements" if that's what you want to do and they don't need to cost you a fortune.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.