Author Topic: New report published - and a question for you  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: New report published - and a question for you
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2016, 10:46:01 PM »
Ah, thanks guys, I actually started a new job this week in...

Brill so good to hear Dolly!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2016, 12:42:23 AM »
Oooh. lovely!

However when I was quite little and mom took me and my sis on the Guided Tour of Cadbury's - what excitement - and back then, you actually went round part of the factory floor, and walked the length of one of the Production lines where the Cadbury's Roses were made - shedloads of chocs to help oneself to!  (all Groups were supervised LOL) - and mom asked our hostess whether it wasn't all too much of a temptation?

She said - and the ladies operating the line and inspecting the finished ones as they came off - said everyone makes a pig and wishes they hadn't within the first week or two.  But it quickly wears off within about a month - and now they'd rather have some nylons or a bunch of flowers if someone wanted to treat them!

Soooo - make the most of it whilst you can, Jen !!

And of course - enjoy!! - the chocs and the job !
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Dollyrocker

« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Lucky for me I'm in the office, I've been invited to help the quality control guy out with the choccy sampling tomorrow though!

7/2014 7.2 (55) / 4/2015 7.3 (56) 1/2016 7.0 (53)
pumping with a shitty Accu Chek Insight

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2016, 12:08:09 AM »
New recruit's treat?  Or the shape of your future?

Only time will tell !

Whichever - enjoy it while you can - and get the carb counts !!
Jenny

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
It would be interesting to know whether the choccie manufacturer actually realises the importance of the carb count as opposed to it just being "mandatory" to provide it.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Dollyrocker

« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2016, 09:46:59 PM »
Good point Patti, they do a few 'sugar free' bars too, I meant to google the ingredient I think was sorbidex, to see if it was an 'evil' sweetener but I forgot. I'll do my best to educate them in the ways of the diabetic!

7/2014 7.2 (55) / 4/2015 7.3 (56) 1/2016 7.0 (53)
pumping with a shitty Accu Chek Insight

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2016, 10:20:13 PM »
Sorbitol? - the original, fart inducing 'diabetic' sweetener for at least I dunno, but certainly in 1972 when I was first diagnosed, when 'diabetic sweets' were available in Boots - and all of em were orrible!
Jenny

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2016, 09:59:28 AM »
I'd certainly prefer proper chocolate to sugar free so called "diabetic" choccie.

At the weekend I was given a milk chocolate rabbit.  The other night I fancied something sweet to finish off a low carb dinner.  I ate it's ears.  I had forgotten how extremely sweet Cadburys milk chocolate actually is.  Back to the dark choccie for me.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2016, 08:21:55 PM »
I'd certainly prefer proper chocolate to sugar free so called "diabetic" choccie.

At the weekend I was given a milk chocolate rabbit.  The other night I fancied something sweet to finish off a low carb dinner.  I ate it's ears.  I had forgotten how extremely sweet Cadburys milk chocolate actually is.  Back to the dark choccie for me.
I find it quite interesting how much my tastes have changed over the years since diagnosis.

A teaspoon of sugar in tea or coffee now tastes cloyingly sweet. Non-dark chocolate likewise. Icing on cakes makes me gag.

I now enjoy the richness of cream (not bloody powder creamer!) in my coffee, occasionally flavoured by cinnamon or cardamom during brewing, and my tea black. I still like a slurp of tomato sauce on some meats, but a lot less than I used to. There are many similar changes which occurred gradually, to the point where the sweetener debate only affects my choices of soft drink because I use hardly any sweetener in other things apart from cheesecakes. And not much in those.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2016, 11:12:39 PM »
We've got a milk choc wabbit too - ours is a Thorntons, free to card holders at Leekes.

You do apparently get some offers in advance, but no discount applies generally.  It is a huge store - in the premises that Makro used to be housed in - and they only sell GOOD stuff - and you can wander round it for ages should you have nowt else to do LOL

However the reason we had one each last week when we happened to buy our new bedroom curtains from there - was because if you go in for whatever - you get a free cup of coffee.  So you can go there for coffee should you simply wish to get out of the house for an hour.  Of course it was lunchtime today - so against we'd paid for a burger and chips and a pannini thing for me - I reckon we'd paid for the coffee anyway - was nearly £14.  But it was good filter coffee (apparently made with 'Union hand-roasted' beans.  I surmised that they get the people to rub their hands together so with the friction they get hot, and then hold them over the beans to roast them ..... Pete said No - it just meant they chucked the beans in the roaster by hand ..... LOL) so provided we ONLY have coffee in future - it's fine!

Oh - and we happened to buy a new bed LOL - which was indeed why we'd gone there!  Persuaded Pete to get a kingsize, whereas we've had a double since we've been together.  So in the way back we invested in 2 new fitted sheets and a mattress cover - we've always had a kingsize quilt so at least we didn't need to invest in a new one!  Won't be with us till April so no panic - and I swear we only went to LOOK at the sheets in Tesco - however the 'extra deep' were on offer, so there you go.

Finally - or rather firstly - as we were going there, waiting to get onto a roundabout - a loads of white vans and 4x4s crossed in front of us towards Coventry and when we pulled in behind them - all with IRL stickers on the back.  Lots of the caravans were Tabberts   Oh what a surprise - NOT.

They turned left onto the Retail Park in front of us - we had to wait whilst they all parked up - and there was security on Leekes carpark and on their doors - no sign of the boys in blue though ........  They were having a Good Look at you as you drove onto their carpark and again on foot at the door; and Pete had made sure he'd mobilised the alarm on the car when we parked up.  All good fun ......
Jenny

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2016, 11:46:21 PM »
Alan, I am getting seriously off topic here, and hijacking this thread, but here I go...
I still like a slurp of tomato sauce on some meats, but a lot less than I used to.
J and I decided ages ago that all bought tomato sauce tastes vinegary and not so nice.  I make a chilli tomato chutney that we use instead.  It's very simple and though a relatively lot of sugar a mere tsp of chutney really livens up meat. 

You do need to keep the chutney at least a month before opening it, otherwise all you can taste is fiery chilli and vinegar!  I kept mine about 2 months before opening it. 

TOMATO AND CHILLI CHUTNEY
500G onions chopped small
1kg ripe tomatoes
2 tbs Nigella seeds
2 hot chillies (I used two that a friend gave me from their greenhouse, they were really hot!)
150ml red wine vinegar
2 tsps smoked paprika
300g sugar

Put the tomatoes in a large bowl and cover them with boiling water.  Leave 2 minutes and then drain.  The skins should then slide off easily.  Chop the skinned tomatoes into approx 1 cm dice.  Put them, seeds and all into a large pan.  Add the chopped onion and all the other ingredients. Stir well to combine and then stir over a low heat until the sugar has melted.  Increase the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 - 50 minutes until the mixture is thick and you can see the base of the pan when you draw a wooden spoon through it.  Meantime sterilise some clean jars by popping them into a low oven until they are hot.  Remove carefully and pot the chutney whilst it's hot.  Place a waxed circle on top then screw on the lids.  Keep in a cool dark place for at least a month to allow the flavours to infuse and mellow. 

This quantity will make approx 4 - 5 small (250ml) jars.  I doubled the quantity last time I made it as it takes us no time at all to get through 4 small jars!  Gorgeous in a cheese sandwich or with bread and cold meats.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2016, 11:51:34 PM »
Sedge
Oh - and we happened to buy a new bed LOL - which was indeed why we'd gone there!  Persuaded Pete to get a kingsize, whereas we've had a double since we've been together.  So in the way back we invested in 2 new fitted sheets and a mattress cover - we've always had a kingsize quilt so at least we didn't need to invest in a new one!  Won't be with us till April so no panic - and I swear we only went to LOOK at the sheets in Tesco - however the 'extra deep' were on offer, so there you go.
Ah ha... you will really appreciate the extra 6". Truly it feels like feet!  We find it really difficult to sleep in a double now.

Why are the Irish a prob.... surely they were only celebrating St Patrick's day?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #27 on: 19 March 2016, 12:00:48 AM »
Alan, I am getting seriously off topic here, and hijacking this thread, but here I go...
I still like a slurp of tomato sauce on some meats, but a lot less than I used to.
J and I decided ages ago that all bought tomato sauce tastes vinegary and not so nice.  I make a chilli tomato chutney that we use instead.  It's very simple and though a relatively lot of sugar a mere tsp of chutney really livens up meat. 

You do need to keep the chutney at least a month before opening it, otherwise all you can taste is fiery chilli and vinegar!  I kept mine about 2 months before opening it. 

TOMATO AND CHILLI CHUTNEY
500G onions chopped small
1kg ripe tomatoes
2 tbs Nigella seeds
2 hot chillies (I used two that a friend gave me from their greenhouse, they were really hot!)
150ml red wine vinegar
2 tsps smoked paprika
300g sugar

Put the tomatoes in a large bowl and cover them with boiling water.  Leave 2 minutes and then drain.  The skins should then slide off easily.  Chop the skinned tomatoes into approx 1 cm dice.  Put them, seeds and all into a large pan.  Add the chopped onion and all the other ingredients. Stir well to combine and then stir over a low heat until the sugar has melted.  Increase the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 - 50 minutes until the mixture is thick and you can see the base of the pan when you draw a wooden spoon through it.  Meantime sterilise some clean jars by popping them into a low oven until they are hot.  Remove carefully and pot the chutney whilst it's hot.  Place a waxed circle on top then screw on the lids.  Keep in a cool dark place for at least a month to allow the flavours to infuse and mellow. 

This quantity will make approx 4 - 5 small (250ml) jars.  I doubled the quantity last time I made it as it takes us no time at all to get through 4 small jars!  Gorgeous in a cheese sandwich or with bread and cold meats.

I'll give it a try; several points of commonality with my Napoli Suace for pasta but some extra ingredients.

But what on earth is a Nigella seed? Do those sprout little Lawsons?
--
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 19 March 2016, 12:09:22 AM »

Hee hee...hopefully not...no 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_sativa  I have bought it in the past as Kalonji or black onion seed.  TBH you can leave it out without it substantially altering the recipe.

Oh a friend of mine decided to use Scotch Bonnet peppers instead... he is still recovering!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #29 on: 19 March 2016, 01:15:38 AM »

Hee hee...hopefully not...no 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_sativa  I have bought it in the past as Kalonji or black onion seed.  TBH you can leave it out without it substantially altering the recipe.

Oh a friend of mine decided to use Scotch Bonnet peppers instead... he is still recovering!
"often called black cumin". I'll leave those off but I have cumin, both as seeds and ground. Possibly a substitute.

My chilis in the garden are incredibly hot bird's-eye. I'll start with 1/4 de-seeded and adjust after one batch.
--