Author Topic: Causes of death  (Read 824 times)

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
Re: Causes of death
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2016, 11:17:10 PM »

This paper is also very interesting about statins and how they lead to altherosclerosis (heart disease) because they lead to coronary calcification: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1586/17512433.2015.1011125

Thank you for the link. I have only just started to read it. Quite surprised this paper has not been loudly trumpeted in the medical media.

Some snippets I've encountered so far:

Although not directly related to the topic of this article, selenoproteins are involved in several steps of glucose metabolism and insulin actions, providing a potential etiologic basis for statin-induced diabetes mellitus [18]. We presented an urgent proposal that statins are contraindicated in patients with diabetes mellitus [19].
In a clinical study of diabetics, high-frequency statin users were shown to exhibit accelerated coronary artery calcification compared with low-frequency statin users [22]. Incredibly, the lead author chose to interpret this increase in coronary calcification in a positive light by speculating that: “statins may lower the lipid-rich core of atherosclerotic plaques, and may enhance the density of calcification as part of the healing process, potentially contributing to plaque stabilization and decreased cardiovascular disease events[23].
The first reported cases of statin-related heart failure were published in 1990 [37]. Five previously stable cardiomyopathic patients had a dramatic deterioration in myocardial function measurements and in clinical status shortly after beginning lovastatin. These patients returned to prestatin condition after stopping their statin therapy and doubling their supplemental CoQ10 from 100 to 200 mg/day.

And I've only skimmed so far.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Causes of death
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2016, 10:02:59 AM »
...and yet they put diabetics on statins as a matter of course, even though they have not yet shown signs of heart disease!  I really do think that the wool has been well and truly pulled over the medical professionals eyes over this drug.  (Methinks Sir Rory Collins has been blinded by funding.  King's new clothes ring any bells peeps?).

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans