Author Topic: Chocolate and Orange liqueur ice cream  (Read 657 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Chocolate and Orange liqueur ice cream
« on: 28 January 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
100g 85% dark chocolate (or 100g 70% chocolate and 2 tsps unsweetened cocoa powder)
1 tbs caster sugar
13/4 Cups full fat milk
2 cups double cream
3 whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla paste
Sweetener to taste, but frankly I don't think it needs any
3 generous tbs orange liqueur such as Cointreau / Grand Marnier / Mandarin Napoleon

Break up the chocolate into small pieces, place in a saucepan with the milk, vanilla paste and cream and warm gently, stirring occasionally, until it's melted, don't allow it to boil.  If you are using the cocoa powder blend it with a little cold milk before adding.  Take the mixture off the stove and let it cool a bit.  Meantime cream the whole eggs with the 1 tbs caster sugar until thick and pale.  Gradually whisk in the cooled chocolate cream/milk mixture and return it to a clean pan.  Heat, stirring constantly, over a low heat until thick enough to cover the back of a spoon (once again, don't allow it to boil or it will become scrambled egg).  Strain through a sieve into a clean bowl and chill as quickly as possible - I cover the surface with some cling film to stop a skin forming and place the bowl in a larger bowl with cold water and ice cubes in it to cool quickly, then  refrigerate overnight.

Tip into an ice cream maker and churn until beginning to freeze, add the liqueur and churn a couple of minutes longer then place in the freezer to freeze.  Take the ice cream out approx 20 mins before serving to allow it to soften a bit.  If you don't have an ice cream maker you'll have to place the mixture in the freezer and take it out a couple of times to mash up and beat to stop ice crystals forming, before finally freezing solid.  Personally I found investing £24 in a small ice cream maker was really worth while.

I'll add the carb count later - I used cook and count to do it on my iPad ages ago and the iPad is on charge right now.  I makes 1 litre anyway, so tons of portions!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Paulines7

Re: Chocolate and Orange liqueur ice cream
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2016, 10:51:01 PM »
Mmmm, sounds delicious so I must try it sometime.  Thanks for posting, Patti.
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017.  Pacemaker fitted 2008.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Chocolate and Orange liqueur ice cream
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2016, 09:06:11 PM »
sorry, must do the carb count.. but today have made Bergamot ice cream with the 2nd half of a jar of preserved Bergamot oranges I bought in Corfu... to die for...  literally cos I have no idea but the carb count is off the richter scale!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans