Author Topic: Is anyone trying to lose weight?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Lucy

Is anyone trying to lose weight?
« on: 19 June 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
I've probably been trying to lose weight forever but am actually getting somewhere this time. 2stone11 down so far I think this year. The first stone went in January then I maintained that till May when I started trying again. Thought I'd open a thread for a chat if anyone else is trying.
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
Re: Is anyone trying to lose weight?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2016, 04:09:12 PM »
I'm stuck at the wanting to lose weight but not really doing anything about it. I'm stuck at 12st 7lb. I really do need to make a plan and get on with it.

I'd like to build some muscle too so gym is on the cards for that. As well as just looking better I'm hoping more muscle will bring down my IR. I've never been in a gym in my life and to be honest I'm a little scared of it. I think that is what has stopped me so far.

I don't really have a goal weight wise I just want rid of my belly. I'm thinking about 2st but I might need more or less. 
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
I shall need to start a very serious diet next Monday (there are several reasons, which at won't go into here why it won't happen before then).

Maybe we can support each other.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2016, 04:30:38 PM »
I'll be trying again starting Tuesday! I need to lose 25-30 lbs, but I've been trying for years and have never managed. I've joined websites, used tracking apps, tried various plans and approaches, but nothing seems to shift it. I haven't owned a car in years and walk on average 3 miles a day just to get my normal stuff done - admittedly there is room for improvement on the being active front but I'm getting about what "they" recommend. Trouble is, I don't seem to be able to lose weight on any kind of WoE I'm actually willing to sustain long-term. I much prefer a moderate, intuitive approach to food and exercise, but the deck is stacked against me (insulin + hormonal birth control + hypothyroid) such that it seems I need to be pretty deliberate and restrictive to get anywhere. It's so easy to get discouraged.

Lately I have gotten interested in the new strain of research about gut bacteria and weight loss, so I'm looking to try that angle. Apparently that means things like avoiding wheat, sugar, and alcohol, eating more fermented foods, and eating a greater variety of foods. Not really willing to give up a drink with dinner in the long-term, but I figure I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes. Hoping to be maybe 10-15 lbs down by the time my Christmas vacation rolls around!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
I've probably been trying to lose weight forever but am actually getting somewhere this time. 2stone11 down so far I think this year. The first stone went in January then I maintained that till May when I started trying again. Thought I'd open a thread for a chat if anyone else is trying.

Lucy - would you be comfortable in sharing what worked for you this time that perhaps didn't work prior to your present efforts?  I'm tired of being regarded as obese and have cut back on my carbs which in turn cuts back on insulin intake.  However it does not seem to have made a big difference.  I've also included a minimum of 30 min of exercise per most days.  A bit discouraging to try and have nothing positive happen as a result.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Lizzie53

« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2016, 06:10:57 PM »
I've been trying since the end of February. It has taken me  a long time to get my head in the right place but anyway I have amazed myself by shifting 12kg. (1 stone 12lbs).  I eat 1200 calories a day and cut out most of the rubbish including most carbs - just have a few in the way of fruit, veg and 20g of whole meal bread. After being told by several docs not to beat myself up about it because it is so difficult, I just did it and it isn't that hard. I have stopped looking at food as a treat and just eat what I need, never thought I could do that. My blood sugars are right down to be in the region of under 6 before meals and under 8, 2 hours after meals and I am so pleased with that. I had a really bad 6 months during last winter and I felt ill. The liver function blood test has also improved was over 100 then came down to 70 and now it is 51 so going in the right direction.  I did go to a talk by Michael Mosley which was so motivating and interesting and I have also read his book - worth a read for any person with T2 diabetes - or without it. Ideally to get my BMI to 25 or less I need to shift another 20kg but at the moment I feel optimistic and suppose it will take around 40 weeks to get there. The bonus in all this is because I am not buying any rubbish foods our food bill has come right down, hubby is happy not to have the carby stuff in the house and he has a main meal at work. However I have had to buy a lot of new clothes ;-) as I'm down from size 22+ to size 18.

Offline Venomous

« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2016, 06:56:34 PM »

Wow congrats Lucy!

I am always trying... We have been eating HFLC for several weeks now. I get really discouraged how I can never lose any.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2016, 09:37:56 PM »

Lucy - would you be comfortable in sharing what worked for you this time that perhaps didn't work prior to your present efforts?  I'm tired of being regarded as obese and have cut back on my carbs which in turn cuts back on insulin intake.  However it does not seem to have made a big difference.  I've also included a minimum of 30 min of exercise per most days.  A bit discouraging to try and have nothing positive happen as a result.

To be honest i'm not really sure. My main change compared to previous attempts is just not beating myslf up if i eat wrong one day, so my falling off counting calories hasnt lasted more than 2-3 days then ive been back at it. Diet wise ive been eating plenty carbs, probably have 100-150g a day, more on odd bad hypo days, a bit less fat (this mix works better for my stomach than low carb high fat), counting calories and aiming 1000-1600 a day, having a day off calorie counting at the weekends so i don't burn out, walking 10 thousand steps a day on weekdays, and the main one is focusing on what the foods i eat will do for my body. Reading and learning a little about what different foods do for my body seems to help me to think about food a bit differently.  Feeling like i'm feeding my body the vitamins and nutrients that help it work better makes me feel better about myself, and that my efforts are worthwhile. Previously my measure of whether its worthwhile was just the scales.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Mands

« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2016, 10:28:48 PM »
I'm trying Lucy. 2 stone 8.5 down since February. I've also been trying forever, on and off lol, but this time I feel like I am managing to overcome whatever usually causes me to press the self- destruct button and give up. I follow the Slimming World plan, and find the group support helpful and encouraging. I can't eat lchf, (not knocking anyone who does). My stomach will not tolerate high fat, and I just feel healthier all round eating a good balance of food types. I'd rather fill up on protein and veg than fat, with a small/moderate portion of carbs with each meal.

Well done on your loss :)
Mandy
Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension
Meds - Metformin SR 2000mg, Victoza 1.2, Amlodipine 10mg, Ramipril 2.5mg, Bisoprolol 5mg, Aspirin 75mg, Naproxen 500mg x 2 per day, Omeprazole 20mg, Anastrozole 1mg daily.
Occasional user of Freestyle Libre
Latest A1c October 2016 36 (5.4%)

Offline Lucy

« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2016, 10:52:45 PM »
i'd like to be able to do lchf too but moderate of each seems better for by stomach. i get such a bad stomach sometimes that i've cameras in looking for the problems and coeliac tests etc and found nothing. But it does seem to be more fat meals that cause the problems for me. Its been very settled through the current diet with only the occasional issue, definitely less than once a week

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2016, 11:32:22 PM »
The LCHF thing isn't really that - you only eat MORE fat if you DO want to put on weight really!  And you don't have to erase carbs completely either - just if you eat a fair amount of it - then cut down.

I don't really eat all that much of it - but bearing in mind that was 3 slices of bread, some ice cream, a Welsh cake, and 4 small pieces of roast spud - oh and stuffing - I've well exceeded my Oh I only eat 100g a day, if that! - mantra!

The time has come (the walrus and I both said) - to sort meself out I think! - and NOT just say I ought to .....
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2016, 01:25:00 AM »

To be honest i'm not really sure. My main change compared to previous attempts is just not beating myslf up if i eat wrong one day, so my falling off counting calories hasnt lasted more than 2-3 days then ive been back at it. Diet wise ive been eating plenty carbs, probably have 100-150g a day, more on odd bad hypo days, a bit less fat (this mix works better for my stomach than low carb high fat), counting calories and aiming 1000-1600 a day, having a day off calorie counting at the weekends so i don't burn out, walking 10 thousand steps a day on weekdays, and the main one is focusing on what the foods i eat will do for my body. Reading and learning a little about what different foods do for my body seems to help me to think about food a bit differently.  Feeling like i'm feeding my body the vitamins and nutrients that help it work better makes me feel better about myself, and that my efforts are worthwhile. Previously my measure of whether its worthwhile was just the scales.

Thank you kindly for sharing what works for you.  I think your way of thinking makes far more sense than most 'diet' plans.  I've never read where someone is thinking a bit differently how the food they eats affects their body.  I need to think more about what I'm eating and how it affects my body.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline feejee

« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2016, 09:33:46 PM »
Hi Lucy, well done on your loss this year.  I shall be getting myself back on the wagon (again) as of now - just had 2 weeks holiday, 1 of which was set on a hilly park of Newquay and have been ashamed of my lack of fitness trying to get myself let alone myself and push a toddler up the hill.  So we have decided as a family to eat healthier and get more exercise.  I shall be buying scales tomorrow so I can track my progress, the last lot broke a good year ago and have been in denial since. 
Type 2. Diagnosed Feb 2012.  On metformin 2 * 1000mg. Invokana (Canagliflozin) 100mg
hbA1c on diagnosis: 128 mmol/mol or 13.8%
6/12: 60 mmol/mol or 7.8%, 
10/12: 6.6%, 03/12: 6.5% Cholesterol: 4.16 (HDL:0.88, LDL: 2.6, 3G's: 1.56)
10/14: 5.6%
02/16: 7.5%
02/16
6/13: 6.6%
4/14@:5.7%

Offline Lucy

« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2016, 09:45:58 PM »
ive been a bit rubbish at the calorie counting and diet this week, but not too bad as still lost some weight. 2 more pounds then i'm down 3 stones now.

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2016, 11:04:36 PM »
I am always trying without much success -- I am actually pleased that i haven't put a pound on in over 20 monthe
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014