Author Topic: Is anyone trying to lose weight?  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Is anyone trying to lose weight?
« Reply #30 on: 27 June 2016, 12:21:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip Pauline.  Julian has got an emergency dental appointment right now, so he will pick up some skimmed milk in town for me.

Glad to hear you've lost all your gain + 2 lbs.

Paul
I only did "modified newcastle" for 4 weeks and lost 11 lbs
it is difficult to say that it works though because i was starving about 150% of the time .
It's not sustainable really then is it?

Everyone... do we want to go back to something more formal on the forum re: weightloss, or shall we just keep encouraging each other and posting our losses?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #31 on: 27 June 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
Personally I'd prefer a less formal thread, like this one. I struggle with not having regular or expected weight loss from week to week, so tracking my weight gets very discouraging, even when I lose ("oh, it's probably just a fluke and will be back up tomorrow or next week..."). Whereas just sharing frustration and successes and getting support is more motivating for me. But I think there is definitely a place for both approaches and some people do better with the more formal weight tracking thread so I think go with what works best for the most people (most of all the person running the thread!)

I'm neither counting calories or carbs overtly, although minimizing carb-based foods is pretty ingrained by now anyway! Instead I'm focusing on having a high-fiber, plant-based diet with some kind of fermented food (mostly yogurt) every day. I decided I would go 2 weeks without alcohol, sugar, sweeteners, or wheat-based foods to start, too, although I'm not being too intense about it (ex. I will have balsamic vinaigrette that has a bit of added sugar, or soy sauce, which has gluten).

I'm one week in and haven't lost anything as yet :( But I did let myself get talked into a heavy potato-based dish last Thurs. / Fri. and on Sat. my in-laws were in town so we went to a buffet and I had to break my no-sugar, no-wheat, no-sweeteners rule or I wouldn't have had any options at the buffet except lettuce! But it was just the one meal so it's not the end of the world :) No diet plan will work if I can't go off-piste from time to time anyway.

On the positive side, when I'm not in a restaurant this diet is very easy to stick to, I find. Already not having any cravings for sweet things and hardly any for starch, don't feel like I'm just lurching from one meal to the next. Definitely feel like I'm eating healthfully - whether it actually gets me any weight loss remains to be seen! Really hoping I won't have to count calories in the end because I know I won't be able to maintain that in the long term.

Here's hoping for some clearer results over the next week! Keep up the good work, everyone! :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 27 June 2016, 02:05:26 PM »
I always think, if an eating plan (don't partic care of what it comprises, and assuming you are intelligent enough for it not to be eg 'The Jam Doughnut' diet LOL) makes you feel good about yourself for eating good choices - then you are much more likely to succeed - than when someone says 'You must never besmirch your lips with (whatever) again!'

The object of the exercise is to feel better in your own body!! - it ain't really a competition at all - EXCEPT - with yourself!  LOL
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #33 on: 27 June 2016, 02:30:30 PM »
I would tend to agree with you Patti -- about the sustainability- but I am no expert on dieting - and it can also depend on one's motivation
( possibly reversing type 2 diabetes would qualify as strong enough motivation )

I was trying it in the run up to going on a pump so basically ran out of time on it and did not wish to be getting used to pumping while at the same time attempting to cut back to 800 calories per day.
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: 27 June 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
What happened to your weight, when you stopped, though - did it stay off?
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Venomous

« Reply #35 on: 27 June 2016, 06:02:22 PM »
Hubby has lost yet another 4 lbs this week lchf-ing. And I am still just stuck at the same weight!! So frustrating! It works-- for him!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #36 on: 27 June 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
I'd prefer an informal thread to a formal weekly weigh in, less pressure etc works better for me. But if it would help others then they should feel fre to set one up. I had a long meeting today with lunch provided which i'd forgotten about and so took me by surprise when i got to work this morning. So probably ate more calories than originally intended today. I'm going to someones house for dinner wednesday too (and yes i'l have dessert - rude not to and i dont have it at home!) so i'm determined to have a good day of eating tuesday to balance it out.

Had philadelphia chiken and cauliflower for tea followed by an ice lolly :)
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: 28 June 2016, 01:59:08 PM »
I'm happy with an informal thread... let's let it run 'till end July and then start anew otherwise it might get too unwieldy.  On the other hand perhaps that wouldn't matter, I've seen some humongously long threads on other forums.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: 29 June 2016, 01:02:34 PM »
Well, I've broken down and re-downloaded My Fitness Pal to track calories and the like! I have seen nothing but gains on the scale for a week. So discouraging! I added up my totals for yesterday just to see and they came to nearly 2,000 kcal! So obviously I *am* overdoing it, even if I'm mostly only eating fruits and veggies! The app says "if every day were like today, you will have gained 3 lbs in 5 weeks!" Great...

So it's back to food tracking for me, sigh - but at least My Fitness Pal makes it relatively painless and integrates with the step count on my phone! Which reminds me I need to get more exercise - have changed routine a bit for the summer and slacked off on all the walking we were doing.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Lucy

« Reply #39 on: 29 June 2016, 10:50:55 PM »
I use MFP intermittently. I really wanted to get under 15 stone before my holiday in a few weeks time but I've been stuck at 15st8-9 for a little while. Should probably do some calorie counting again. I've had a very hungry week and eaten a lot because of that but then stayed the same, which I'm fine with, but I want to get back on it and lose some more. The odd day of calorie counting brings it back into my mind how much even healthy foods can have in them.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline pms543

« Reply #40 on: 04 July 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
Think I could do with using MFP but no idea what percentage rates to set the carbs at?

Any help there?

I do aim to lose weight but dreading this new medicine interrupting things....
Poppet x

I have Coeliac disease.

Diagnosed Type 2 16/08/2010

OCT 2013 2 X 500g Glucosaphage

Current slow release Metformin 2000g

Victoza 1.2 daily

36 Units Insultard

30mg Prednisalone

2 x 500mg Calcichew D3 Forte

30mg Amitriptyline

16/11/2010 1st HbA1c 8.5, HDL 1.1, LDL 2.7, Trigs 1.6 
17/02/2015 HbA1c 108mmol, HDL 1.5, LDL 4.3, Trigs 2.7 Total Chol 4.7

25/04/2017 HbA1c  84mmol,Chol 7.7

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: 04 July 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
Sorry PMS I'm no help there as I've never used it.

Before I went on holiday I was hovering around 10st 12.  After my holiday I was 11st 3/4lb.  Within a short time I was back to 10st 12.5 lbs.  I started low carbing last Monday.  Since then I have had 1 shake a day (these have varied from Slimfast/some other kind, anything from 17g to 25g carb) and in the evening either a salad, or something quite low carb e.g. 2 sausages 3g with a small portion of cauli cheese made with a very small cauli, 1tbs flour and skimmed milk (whole thing made 4 portions).  Yesterday morning I was still 10st 12.5 lbs.  Talk about discouraged!

Yesterday was a lovely day.  Neither of us have been feeling well since a week ago today.  We think we picked up the sore throat/cough off the bloke behind us on the plane home.  Anyway we decided to get out and we walked (somewhat slowly) about 3.5 miles to Marazion where we stopped on the terrace at the Godolphin.  Despite my shake I was starving by then and we decided to have a snack so we had a starter portion of Calamari between us and a small portion of chips + a bottle of Pinot Grigio and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Later at home we had both taken a turn for the worse and couldn't bring ourselves to eat much so we opened a tin of Veal Quenelles that a friend had bought in France and given to us.  Bland, boring but only 8g carb in the whole tin.  I then had a small mug of WW hot chocolate (a rare treat).  We both felt rough so went to bed at 9.30.

This morning my right ear is completely blocked, I've got pains in my jaw and in my head behind the ear (painkillers helping), feel dizzy and ill.  Anyway, that's beside the point.  Weighed in at 10st 11 3/4 WTF do I have to do to lose weight?  Mind the dress I bough tpre-holiday  to go to a wedding in Aug  seems to be fitting a bit looser.

Thoughout all this BGs have been pretty much perfect in the 4 - 6 range.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: 04 July 2016, 02:48:14 PM »
If it's any consolation, Patti, I find that it takes my body 2-3 weeks of working at a calorie deficit to "ramp up" and decide to actually start dropping weight. Dunno if it's the thyroid thing or maybe the fact that I have been very emaciated at one point in my life just prior to diagnosis, but my body seems reluctant to let anything go until it really has no other choice! So keep on it :) Hope you feel better soon, too; that sounds really nasty.

Pms - here are my settings if it gives you an idea!
Calories: 1,400
Carbs 35% (123g)
Protein 25% (88g)
Fat 40% (63g)

I don't necessarily stick to these of course but that's what I've told the machine! I aim to hit between 100-150g of carbs per day, I know that's much too high for many people who control their BGs with diet only, no medication. But for me, since I do take insulin, I've found that a more moderate level of carbs is easier to live with day to day (keep in mind the official "recommended" amount of carbs is 250-300g!) And although I don't particularly aim for a low-protein diet, I have found that I just cannot get 100+g of protein in a day AND meet my calorie goals AND still have the will to live (there is only so much chicken breast or boiled egg a person can eat, lol!) I don't think I have ever in my life eaten the "recommended" amount of protein for my weight, and I have yet to collapse in a heap with all my cells dissolving into themselves from lack of protein, so I figure it's probably ok to be honest with myself on this particular point :P

You can have a look online at the recommended percentages for an LCHF diet. There are a lot of different recommendations out there depending on how strictly or moderately low-carb the people writing the information think you should be. I have seen 30/30/40 (C/P/F) or 15/25/60 or all sorts of different things. I think a lot depends on what makes sense to you and what works for your life and for your body, bearing in mind that "what works for you" will probably change often - what works in summer may not work in winter and what worked last year may not work this year, and so on!

I skimmed through this article http://paleoleap.com/question-of-macronutrient-ratios/ really quickly and I have to say that I REALLY like their approach - basically, what we need is variety. In my own research on language and in everything I've learned about both nutrition and movement, the one constant has always been variability/adaptability. Humans are some of the most versatile animals on the planet, so it stands to reason (IMO!) that our bodies are at their best when they get a lot of different nutrients from a lot of different sources!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 04 July 2016, 04:40:58 PM »
If it's any consolation, Patti, I find that it takes my body 2-3 weeks of working at a calorie deficit to "ramp up" and decide to actually start dropping weight. Dunno if it's the thyroid thing or maybe the fact that I have been very emaciated at one point in my life just prior to diagnosis, but my body seems reluctant to let anything go until it really has no other choice! So keep on it :) Hope you feel better soon, too; that sounds really nasty.
I will keep on keeping on and see what happens  Today I have only had 1 Tesco shake which is 25.2g carb.  Though I have been tasting some gooseberries cooked in honey, but only tiny  tiny tastes.  I bought 500g gooseberries last week to make ice cream with and I realised that if I didn't do something with them today they would go off.  So stewed em up and much as I didn't feel like it, I made the custard for the ice cream too.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Lucy

« Reply #44 on: 04 July 2016, 11:31:29 PM »
Think I could do with using MFP but no idea what percentage rates to set the carbs at?

Any help there?

I do aim to lose weight but dreading this new medicine interrupting things....

I don't pay attention to whether I'm meeting the carb / protein etc percentage splits. Just the total calories. I use it intermittently.