Author Topic: Is anyone trying to lose weight?  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Lucy

Re: Is anyone trying to lose weight?
« Reply #75 on: 26 July 2016, 09:19:12 PM »
I've not really had any hypos since. I'm not sure why as I was suddenly having lots of 2s, but then had a period of more highs than usual, then have been using the dexcom. Since using the dexcom (think today is day 11) I've only had three bgs under 4. Two because I didn't hear / couldn't react to the alarms immediately. The other was a 3.9 and felt fine. Diet is on hold whilst I'm away then will restart. Not really eating out that much on holiday but just more than usual and more snacking than usual and more carbs / odd half a pint of beer when I don't normally drink. Mainly been doing my 10k steps though without trying just from the wandering about.

I really want to get under the next stone mark before my appointment in September. I had 12 pounds to go before my holiday though.
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #76 on: 27 July 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
I think holidays are an exception Lucy!  I have 2 kinds of holidays, lazy ones where I struggle a bit with eating too much and higher BGs and more energetic "exploring" ones where I walk my legs off and manage to eat ice creams with impunity!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline heather1957

« Reply #77 on: 27 July 2016, 11:55:51 PM »
Hi Lucy - yes trying to lose weight (always).  :)

When I first joined here we had regular weigh ins and I was doing okay but I fell off the wagon and now have put on a lot of weight again and have further, more serious, health problems.

I have re-joined Slimming World although I have modified it slightly as I want to eat less carbs than they allow and obviously don't want to be eating loads of fruit either. My first weigh in today and I lost 3 1/2 lb, I would have liked more and though I deserved more but the body is a queer thing!  :D

You have done really well yourself, I am happy to post on here regularly to support anyone trying to lose weight and update as to my (hopefully) good results.

Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight, it can be so hard but will bring lots of positive results in the long term, I wish I would have listened to my own advice a few years back.
T2 since 8/12 HbA1c HIGH!!
Medication 4 x 500mg Metformin SR at tea time

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: 28 July 2016, 08:46:46 AM »
31/2 lbs is an excellent loss in a week, so don't beat yourself up!  Not many people can lose that in a week and anyway slow and steady is a much better way to lose weight than dramatic amounts.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #79 on: 28 July 2016, 03:02:27 PM »
Had a rough couple of weeks mentally and left off being all that vigilant about food intake, weight, etc. Trying to get back on top of things now and find that I'm pretty much exactly where I was a month ago. I've continued to lose and regain the same 2-3 lbs. I don't like to moan too much on here, but I'm so discouraged right now. I don't like how I look or feel or how my clothes fit, and I really want things to change, and yet I don't see what else I can do other than being super restrictive food-wise and walking for 2+ hours a day, which really isn't sustainable or compatible with the rest of my life. Ah, well, got to stay motivated and keep at it, I suppose!

I can still be pleased for other people who are doing well though :) Well done Lucy and well done Heather! :D
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: 28 July 2016, 03:15:52 PM »
Had a rough couple of weeks mentally and left off being all that vigilant about food intake, weight, etc. Trying to get back on top of things now and find that I'm pretty much exactly where I was a month ago. I've continued to lose and regain the same 2-3 lbs. I don't like to moan too much on here, but I'm so discouraged right now. I don't like how I look or feel or how my clothes fit, and I really want things to change, and yet I don't see what else I can do other than being super restrictive food-wise and walking for 2+ hours a day, which really isn't sustainable or compatible with the rest of my life. Ah, well, got to stay motivated and keep at it, I suppose!

You seem to have taken those words right out of my mouth Nyt.  I feel exactly the same as you do about not liking how you look or feel or how your clothes fit.  It also seems like a mega effort I make and at the end of the week I have stayed the same.  Then I think "what the hell, I am 70 and who cares how I look", then catch sight of myself in either a mirror or a shop window and I'm horrified.  It doesn't help that there are 3 full length mirrors at the bottom of our stairs angled to catch you as you enter the front door, or go up the stairs.  No, I didn't put them there, they are original Victorian mirrors that were put in when the house was built!  I've spent days living on slimfast shakes for lunch and a light dinner and nothing happens and like you I get discouraged when nothing shifts.

I don't know the answer.  Wish I did!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline heather1957

« Reply #81 on: 28 July 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Nothing wrong with having a moan it actually helps to write down how you feel, we are all just human after all!

I know we are just in contact via the internet but that doesn't mean that we can't support each other and if means just being a place to vent then so be it.

One of the women who started SW with me lost 8 lb in her first week, something that I have done before, she is quite a large lady (like me) but while I clapped her loss (as you do) I was snarling at the same time!  ;D ;D

Hopefully we can keep in touch and give each other some support as well as congratulate those who are doing well and I promise not to snarl but be genuinelyhappy for you!  :)

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: 28 July 2016, 09:13:13 PM »
I started the year off really well and by 14th feb I had lost 10lbs  from xmas but then I was told my best friend had cancer and it went pear shaped from then. My friend died with in 3 weeks of DX and I never got to see her in that time and I lost it did lots of binge eating so on and found myself back were I was at xmas.
so here I am again trying for the 1 millionth time
Dx jan 08
A1c 48 or 6.4 down from 6.9 was 7.9 @ Dx
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline heather1957

« Reply #83 on: 28 July 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
Sami maybe you could start the weekly weigh in again?

I looked at the old one and am very  :( as I have put on so many stones since then.

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: 28 July 2016, 09:23:29 PM »
Sorry Heather it was a lot of work every week I really don't have time for but nothing stopping you doing it if you want I would join in
Dx jan 08
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: 28 July 2016, 09:29:20 PM »
I started the year off really well and by 14th feb I had lost 10lbs  from xmas but then I was told my best friend had cancer and it went pear shaped from then. My friend died with in 3 weeks of DX and I never got to see her in that time and I lost it did lots of binge eating so on and found myself back were I was at xmas.
so here I am again trying for the 1 millionth time

Oh Sami that is just awful!  I am so sorry for your loss. Not surprised you went off track.

Heather I do know how much work Sami put into the weekly weigh ins and I sympathise about how much work it was because occasionally I stood in for her. 

I think a less structured support thread will work well, but if anyone wants to take on a weigh in then I will support them by trying to help with the techie side.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sami

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: 28 July 2016, 09:37:16 PM »
I have a accountability  page on my face book that I post on most days that only people I want can see I also post the same on instergragm  were I get support from like minded people all trying to do the same I think that helps me as because its a closed group on facebook people like people I work with cant see it so I'm able to post what I want without comments from people I don't want
if any of my facebook friends wants to be there to support me just ask to be added
Dx jan 08
  Humolog & Humulin 1 

D&E

Offline heather1957

« Reply #87 on: 28 July 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
If it's that much work let's just stick with the support thread!  :)

I am on 2 FB groups run by different groups of friends where which are both diet/weight related and it is easy enough just to say how you get on rather a more complicated thread.

Happy to continue on here!  :)

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #88 on: 28 July 2016, 10:03:32 PM »
I recently saw a new Endo and while we were discussing diabetes management, I asked him "How does one successfully lose weight when you are trying to manage insulin at the same time"?  He looked me straight in the eye and said "You pretty much have to starve yourself."  I didn't really want to hear that as I have struggled with losing weight for a long time.  I am like many others and grow weary of the "trying and not seeing results" approach.  And yet I know I can't give up trying.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #89 on: 28 July 2016, 11:41:49 PM »
I maintained my initial weight loss well for fifteen years until a few months ago, but over time I discovered ways to eat a few more carbs without spiking. Then I used full-carb beer as a coolant a little too often on my recent wanders when in the heat in India, Albania and the USA. Oops - the belt went out a couple of notches.

I now need to lose about 5Kg so I am joining the weight loss group :)
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)