Author Topic: Dexcom vs Libre  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Lucy

Re: Dexcom vs Libre
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2016, 10:58:19 PM »
It surely doesn't need to be EXACTLY 12 hours, does it?

12 hrs is when it starts beeping and vibrating at you and covering the graph with a huge blood drop you have to acknowledge before showing you the graph. It doesn't have to be 12 hrs but it makes you know its not happy about it if it isn't. Apparently calibrating too often can confuse it so you dont want to be doing it that much more than you need to.
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
First sensor (stomach) came off on day 4. Disappointing. Had used skintac. Don't know if it's the heat or a pattern I will see. Was hoping for a couple weeks from them. Second sensor inserted in leg. Let's hope this one lasts a couple of weeks at least.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2016, 02:02:59 PM »
First sensor (stomach) came off on day 4. Disappointing. Had used skintac. Don't know if it's the heat or a pattern I will see. Was hoping for a couple weeks from them. Second sensor inserted in leg. Let's hope this one lasts a couple of weeks at least.
is that something you can go back to their customer service with and complain about ( possibly another sensor )
or would that be too cheeky given their mistake in sending too many already
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline Lucy

« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2016, 04:40:35 PM »
I wasn't going to request a replacement given their previous mistake but I was going to mention it to them in an email of suggested improvements to their receiver for future models. I know it's been hot for Britain but their main customer base is America I thought where it must get hotter than here more regularly.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2016, 10:32:46 PM »
Oh, here's a summary of the suggestions i had to improve the receiver - someof these are things that seem fairly basic to me and odd not to have them already.
  • Stronger adhesive
  • Able to log long and short acting insulin separately. Receiver only has the option for “insulin” which means you can’t differentiate long vs short acting.
  • Able to view logged events. You can log carbs /  insulin / events but then not view them on the receiver which seems an odd thing to not include. Would be helpful to see how long ago you last logged insulin if you get a high alert for example.
  • Logged events visible on the graph. It’s easy to enter the carbs and insulin on the dexcom but you can’t actually see them anywhere. With the freestyle libre you get a little icon on the graph giving rough indication of when you last ate/injected in relation to your blood sugar curve.
  • Larger Font. The current BG shown on the screen is a very small font which can be difficult to see, whilst the menus are all in a large really easy to read font. Perhaps a larger font on the graph, or even a “current bg” menu option which just shows the current number and arrow in a large font, so you don’t have to carry reading glasses with you to see the dexcom when walking the dog etc.
  • Adjustable axis on the graph. The graph goes up to 22, but most of the time I don’t go anywhere near that high and it’s just wasted space for me, with my bgs squished into a 0.5cm high space at the bottom of the screen. A customisable upper limit on the axis would be helpful.
  • Customisable alarm profiles. Eg At work I want it to vibrate if I drop under 4, whilst for sports I would like a loud beep if I drop under 5. Every time I change scenario like this I need to individually change the low alert, high alert, and volume setting. If I could set up personal profiles e.g. work, sport, sleep etc. it would be quicker and easier to change the settings, as i'd choose current profile within one option not go through three separate options.[/size][/font]
  • Customisable automatic alert profiles. Even better would be to set it to automatically use “work profile” for xyz days/times and “leisure profile” for xyz days/times. With option to temporarily override or switch the profile as you wish.
  • Simple analytics in the receiver. The freestyle libre again does this really well. Even including very simple analytics like % time in target range for last 7/14/30 days would be useful. I find the analytics available on the libre handset itself really helpful for giving a quick look at how I’m improving without having to use the software.
  • Option to log bg fingerprick results then choose whether or not it should be used for calibration. Having all your data in one place makes analysis of results easier. You can currently enter the fingerpricks into the receiver but I think it always uses it for calibration.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
Quite a long list, but interesting that the Libre already incorporates a good number of these requirements which shows a great deal of thought has been put into it's development.  You would have thought that a similar amount of thought had gone into the Dexcom, given that it is a far more expensive piece of kit.

It does seem barking that it only allows for one sort of insulin.  Though if it's designed for use with the pump you DO only use one insulin.  However it's a drip feed per hour in addition to actual boluses.

Thinking of that, pumps do have the ability to have different profiles for different days, so it's not such a stretch asking that of the Dexcom.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Lucy

« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
Yes patti. It showed me how much thought must have gone into the libre that they have incorporated these things into it. To me some of them seem like fairly basic ideas that I had expected would already be there. Okay they're probably just "nice to haves" not "essential options", and there must be a reason they have chosen against these type of things. I've had an email passed to the research and development team so at least there's a chance of them considering them in future. Even if I never use it again I think some fairly basic additional options could speed up and improve its usefulness for those who do. Given the price i had expected it to be more advanced than the libre, but I guess that is a different market and they are marketing on the quick and simple, whereas dexcom are marketing more on other aspects.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
Wow, thanks so much Lucy for your detailed reviews! I have been considering shelling out for CGM and was already leaning Libre (once it's available in Canada, supposed to be this year) but your info has really helped me feel confident the Libre would be the right choice for me!

I think the Dexcom may suffer a bit from being more or less the only non-pump-integrated CGM going. I know it is currently the only standalone CGM you can get in Canada and I suspect it's much the same elsewhere in the world. You don't have to go out of your way to think about a lot of these details if your customers' choice amounts to "take it or leave it"!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2016, 05:01:25 PM »
It could also be an age thing. The Dexcom is pretty old now isn't it? I know my pump can integrate to one of the Dexcom systems (not sure if the most current) so that would make the tech at least 4 years old if true. I'm not sure how long the Libre  has been going but it is only a year or two since I started hearing about it.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Good point. And they may not be able to just waltz in and update everything, depending on how the device is regulated. Since it may be considered a life-saving device in some cases (for example with the hypo alarms for young children) they may be held to some amount of backwards compatibility until they can phase out all older models.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2016, 09:36:16 PM »
And of course the main market is America - and to get accreditation for any medical anything there - takes far far longer than it does in any part of Europe.

I rather think the popularity and uptake of the Libre, is one of the reasons Dexcom's UK operations - has been moved to the UK.

I mean if someone came up with a viable 'closed loop' pump/CGM - it would be headline news OK - but years and years after that - that anyone actually diabetic  anywhere could get their sticky paws on it.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Lucy

« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2016, 10:54:48 PM »
I've ordered an xdrip kit which I will pick up Friday morning. This is a diy method of getting the data from the transmitter to an android phone. I'm not willing to shell out £375 or whatever it is for a receiver that I don't feel I get on with if there is a better and cheaper option. It was £59.99 for the kit, plus cost of soldering kit if you can't borrow one which I can, and android phone cost if you don't have one, which I do. So much cheaper though it does mean carrying round the xdrip box as well as the phone. You can make an xdrip yourself which would be smaller but the kit seemed easier to me. I'll report on whether it works out any better once I've got it and tried it out. I'm hoping it will be a viable solution since it is for many others but really I know little about it, it just seemed worth a shot.

Nyt if you have an android phone with NFC then you can try the libre for the cost of just one sensor plus postage. If the librelink app is available in your area. I'm glad this helps. I'll keep updating it whilst I discover new things as it might be useful to document my experience for others considering in the future, or just for general interest.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #27 on: 21 July 2016, 10:57:18 PM »
Oh the G4 receiver does at least seem to have good battery life. I started using it fully charged on Saturday lunchtime. It's Thursday evening now and still over half full on the battery indicator and I haven't charged it at all since I began. I always got a week or more from the libre battery so this is probably similar in having a nice long battery life.

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #28 on: 25 July 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
Patti's suggestion about covering the Dexcom sensor is an excellent one.  Since I've found the adhesive on the Dexcom sensors tends to peel up a little after 4-5 days, I've taken to putting on the Opsite tape right after I've inserted a sensor.  I currently have a sensor going that is 10 days old and the Opsite tape keeps it stuck very well.  For what it is worth, many people who use Dexcom have complained about the adhesive not being strong enough.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Lucy

« Reply #29 on: 04 August 2016, 11:33:24 AM »
As a further update, my second sensor which is on my thigh is now on about day 15 (after first on stomach fell off on day 4). I have now got xdrip set up which is a way of receiving the blood sugars without the official receiver, and nightscout set up which is a way of sending that data to the cloud to view anywhere. (Useful if its for a small child so parent can check remotely, I dont really need this bit other than for handy use when being lazy or to use the reports).

So with this setup you have sensor in body. Transmitter clipped into sensor. Transmitter sends out the readings. The dexcom receiver can pick them up but the xdrip can also pick them up. The xdrip sends them to an android phone. The andrid phone can then also send to nightscout where you can remotely view the data anywhere with a web address or app. My usual phone is an iphone so this setup means instead of carrying the receiver in my pocket i need to carry the android phone and the xdrip box. You can make an xdrip box yourself which i understand is quite a bit smaller than the one i have, which is a kit that came almost all premade i just had to solder one part on and make some holes in the box.

Xdrip Kit cost £59.99
Soldering iron is about £10-£15
Android phone i already had but think you can pick them up under £50.

Vs receiver cost of £350. (With both setups you still need a transmitter which is £260 for G4 and sensors which are £51.25 each).

The features on the xdrip app and nightscout app/site are better than those on the receiver i think, though ive used it less than 24 hrs so far and i'm still figuring out how to work the old android phone!