Author Topic: Re: Heart Disease  (Read 2263 times)

Offline heather1957

Re: Heart Disease
« on: 23 July 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
Well I am back having been away for a few years and they have not been good years!

My Blood/glucose readings are back where they were on diagnosis even though I am now taking 4 x 500 mg Metformin and lately I have been prescribed 1 tablet a day Januvi? I have also put on about 3 stone of the weight I lost.

I have posted on this thread as I am waiting to visit the chest clinic as I have suspected angina and in a short 2 months I have gone from being able to walk miles to not being able to put my clothes on the line without suffering chest pain and being out of breath. The only time I am pain free is when I sit down and do nothing.

I know the blame is mine, I was on the right track and doing well and then I went completely off track so now here I am.

What makes it worse is that I have booked a 2 month trip to Australia starting in February next year flying business class and while I have insurance it won't cover all the bills we have paid so far - of course this is not my main focus just a disappointment.

I am hoping that I don't have to wait too much longer for my appointment (I have been waiting a week already) the doctor thought they would be in touch in 2 weeks, I just feel I have a time bomb in my chest.

I have started back on healthy eating and have joined slimming world, this is my first week but it may be too little too late.

I do take Statins and have done for a while now but just wanted to issue a warning to those who, like me fall off the wagon, you need to stick at it, no matter how hard it becomes.
T2 since 8/12 HbA1c HIGH!!
Medication 4 x 500mg Metformin SR at tea time

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Heart Disease
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
Hi Heather - it's actually lovely to hear from you again, except that sounds wrong bearing in mind what you've said - and I am, of course, sorry to hear that.

It's a flipping nuisance when it turns out this D lark is a flipping marathon, not a sprint after all - welcome to the club of 'Been there, Done that .....'  LOL  And sadly - stuff like angina can happen as we age - although I may tell people I'm 39 forever - it appears my body ain't!  LOL

You now have lots of new tests ahead of you since they're a bit more particular about 'chest' things these days - and bearing also in mind how much more advanced they are now in treating practically all of it - it's no bad thing really - but just a flipping drag having to plod through it all to diagnosis and solution!

I can't offer much intelligence on the metformin/Januvia/weight front - but I'm sure we have a number of members who should be able yo - so I'll leave that in their more capable hands.  I just wanted to say 'Welcome back!' - and that you ARE remembered Heather.  You managed to do what you needed to before - and being determined certainly helps all these things, no end!

Onwards and downwards !
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2016, 03:11:37 PM »
Just thought - here it's normally about 10 days before we hear anything after a GP referral, unless you're at death's door, in which case they usually telephone and you go straight  there! - so don't worry, yet!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline heather1957

« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2016, 03:33:06 PM »
Thanks for your lovely replies Sedge I guess I just want to know what is going on and when I can at least start walking again. I don't do very much exercise but do enjoy walking.

The advice the GP gave me was 'listen to your body' I know what he means and am not pushing myself but I have managed to clear out several cupboards in my bedroom in an effort to keep busy and that doesn't seem to cause me any discomfort.

I am in the same frame of mind as when I joined here initially, let's hope that I see the same results.

Absolutely onward and downwards!  ;D

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2016, 09:32:23 AM »
I said "lovely to hear from you again" in another thread, without of course knowing why you had come back.  I'm sorry to hear the reason, but don't beat yourself up too badly, it may not have been the weight gain or diabetes causing Angina.  I worked with a colleague who had Angina but was neither over-weight nor diabetic.  I hope you are called soon for your appointment.  If you don't hear in the next few days I suggest you chase it up via the GP.  Some while ago I was referred and waited 2 weeks to see the stroke clinic (I am unconvinced still that I had a TIA), so I rang the GP and they assured me she'd sent the fax the day I'd seen her.  However, within an hour I had a phone call and an appointment for the next day.  I think something had gone wrong with the communication.  So don't be afraid to chase it up.

By the way, I did wonder why you had posted on a 4 year old thread.  You might get more attention if your post was the start of a new thread.  Would you like me to split it off along with the subsequent replies?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
Having read back on this thread, there's another reason why I think it would be better split off, because some of the responses are somewhat out of date in their thinking regarding heart disease and statins  as a lot of new information and studies have happened in the last four years.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline heather1957

« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2016, 09:35:11 PM »
Patti I am happy for you to split it off (or whatever the technical term is)  :D

My GP did say if I haven't heard within the 2 weeks then I should call him back, the 2 weeks are up on Friday.

I just want to get a diagnosis and a decision on treatment at the moment I feel like I have a time bomb in my chest!  :'(

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2016, 04:41:44 PM »
OK all done! Hope you get more responses now Heather.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline heather1957

« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2016, 11:48:38 PM »
Thanks Patti

Feeling a bit peed off today though as I phoned the new appointments at the hospital to see if they had a date for me only to be told that they had no record of any communication from my GP.

I phoned the GP to be told the letter was sent on the 18th July.  :banghead:

The surgery administrator could tell I was upset and said she would print off the letter and fax it to the hospital but I am obviously now behind on the waiting list.

It is all well and good the doctor telling me to phone 999 if I the pain worsens, but how much damage is being caused in the meantime.

I did lose 3 1/2 lb at my first SW weigh in, would have liked more but I can't change the scales, I am hoping for a similar loss next week (please)

After only a week of the diet and cutting right back on carbs my blood/glucose levels are dropping nicely so I am really pleased with that, it just shows that modifying my diet can bring the readings down quite quickly.

Sorry for the moan - just feeling a bit let down by the 'system', is it just me who thinks that anything relating to the heart should be a priority?

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
From what you say I don't think it's so much that they are not prioritising you, but that something has gone awry with the communication from the GP.  I don't know how he "sent" the letter, sounds like it may have been electronically, if so a myriad things might have happened.  If it was physically by post then nothing surprises me.  They regularly put our mail through the neighbour's door.

Hopefully now it has been faxed through they will be getting back to you very soon. I hope a note was sent with it  explaining that you have already waited too long!  Keep us updated.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
Heather don't totally blame yourself as there may be other factors besides the diabetes. When I was a youngster two friends' fathers died suddenly of heart attacks in their thirties. On my fathers' side of the family no one has been particularly long lived which I find scary at times as for the past nine years I am the second longest lived. Only one of them was diabetic (and that is assumed as he had the symptoms of undiagnosed Type II).

On a more positive note it is over 40 years since Rick Wakeman suffered a number of heart attacks and he seemed quite healthy when he was on television some months ago.
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline heather1957

« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2016, 05:17:11 PM »
I saw the nurse at the hospital, I initially thought that I would be seeing a doctor but this was a kind of triage visit and to be honest it was a total waste of time.

All she did was gather the information which had already been done by my GP, weighed me and took my blood pressure, which was high but no surprise as I had been sent to the wrong waiting area and they had to come find me and even though I can't really rush, I was ushered to the correct area eventually.

I have been referred for a treadmill ECG which was what I was going to get on that appointment and I could have to wait at least 4 weeks for that.

I have always thought that anything to do with the heart is important but apparently I am wrong.

I am a HUGE supporter of the NHS usually but at the moment I can't get my head around how blase the matter is being treated while I worry every day that I will follow my dad and have a massive coronary.

I really am not a dramatic kind of person but feel that I am not being taken seriously.  :(

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
If you can get an appointment with your GP it might be a good idea to and go over your worries about your heart with him/her.

I think the triage and all that with the nurse is just to fill in time and make like they're doing something as it takes so long to get an appointment to see a hospital doctor these days. They massage their waiting list figures this way. I think a lot of people get sicker through waiting and I get annoyed as we all pay so much in taxes for this NHS but it doesn't work very well.
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline heather1957

« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
Very true Avocado no doubt statistic massaging plays a part in this.

I have to make an appointment with my GP as the nurse told me that she will recommend I get a 'spray' from the GP and was going to write to the practice with this info. Hopefully the letter has been received by now so I will phone tomorrow and make the appointment.

The good part is that I feel so well when I am sat doing nothing as daft as that sounds and tend to forget I have a problem until I do anything a little strenuous like go to the bathroom!!!  :)

I am going to try a very gentle stroll around our park tomorrow, nothing to energetic but just to stretch my legs and I'll see how that goes.

I do support the NHS and will fight tooth and nail to keep it but it does need a bit more money and better financial management.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2016, 10:51:33 PM »
So sorry things are not going as fast as they should for you Heather.  I hope that from now on things will be expedited.  Quite often that spray really makes a difference for Angina sufferers.  I know my ex-colleague used it and we were taught about it in first aid.  Is this the one?  http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/heart-and-blood/a7220/nitrolingual-pump-spray-glyceryl-trinitrate/

I am glad we do have the NHS though... can you imagine being sick in the USA and having no health insurance?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans