Author Topic: Re: Heart Disease  (Read 2262 times)

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Re: Heart Disease
« Reply #45 on: 19 October 2016, 11:52:16 PM »
Is risk of DVT related to GA specifically? I thought it was related to being bedridden. Like if you have a GA for a procedure and are up and about the next day are you still at risk?
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #46 on: 20 October 2016, 07:17:29 AM »
Hi Heather - if you have a stent done at the same time as the angio then, judging by what people who I've met who've had them, you are almost recovered a couple of days later if not the next day. If you have to have bypass surgery that is a very different matter - fingers crossed you don't have to and that your appointment for the angiogram comes soon. So nice when we come across a lovely and helpful doctor :)
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Heart Disease
« Reply #47 on: 20 October 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
The news sounds mainly positive doesn't it?  Hope all goes well.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: 20 October 2016, 08:47:09 AM »
Is risk of DVT related to GA specifically? I thought it was related to being bedridden. Like if you have a GA for a procedure and are up and about the next day are you still at risk?

Well Julian had had his procedure unde GA and will be up and about today but has to have a series of Clexane injections to avoid DVT over the next couple of weeks.  I think the problem with long haul flying is that you are sat still for so long.  It applies to everyone not just someone who has had a GA, so if you are liable to have one the risk becomes so much higher.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline heather1957

« Reply #49 on: 20 October 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
The angiogram and angioplasty (with stent) are both done using local anaesthetic and that is only at the entry for the catheter usually the wrist of inner thigh just to numb the entry.

With or without stent the procedure will take around an hour, some take longer some shorter and then you have to wait a few hours just to check on your health. So not much hanging around.

We have booked business class flights so will be able to stretch out as Emirates have full length beds on their flights so again lessening the chances of DVT and I will wear the 'socks' just for added insurance  :)

Once I get a date and I think it is possible for us still to go I will contact the insurance company and ask their advice.
T2 since 8/12 HbA1c HIGH!!
Medication 4 x 500mg Metformin SR at tea time

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: 20 October 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
It's NOT the legroom that is the issue Heather - it's the not moving around as much - and my mate had a DVT after having been driven to their holiday in France, with regular stops along the way for walks and the usual things and having an active first week with plenty of walking, exploring, swimming, tennis etc, 9 months after her mastectomy.  They only went to France and drove because she was advised not to fly ANYWHERE whereas they normally had eg Spanish, Yugoslavian etc package hols!

I was only using a GA as an abbreviation for a procedure with more than a small amount of 'bloody' involvement.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline heather1957

« Reply #51 on: 20 October 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Well I decided to take the bull by the horns and contacted my insurance company this morning. As we are with a group scheme with work it wasn't THAT easy to get hold of someone who would take ownership but eventually I managed it.

The guy I spoke to is now acting as 'middle man' between myself and the underwriters and we are exchanging e-mails with lots of questions.

The last one asked if I had been told by a doctor that I was not fit to fly which I have not but I haven't specifically asked THAT question obviously the answer may well be different now rather than after the op.

In some ways once I am told by a doctor that I am not fit to go on holiday the game is over and hopefully they will pay out for cancellation and I move on but I have a feeling they may suggest waiting until we know what is happening both date wise for the op or doctors recommendation after the op.

I have done all I can do for now, I will be contacting the Heath hospital in Cardiff next week to ask if they have any idea where I am on the list.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: 20 October 2016, 06:40:02 PM »
I do sympathise with the desire to go on a long awaited and much anticipated holiday Heather.  I did have one scheduled right after I was diagnosed with Diabetes.  Against medical advice I went because I did not want to let down the friends we were going with.  In retrospect I should not have gone.  I was quite ill throughout with BGs in the 30s and above and really spoiled the holiday for everyone as I could not do the walking which was planned for the holiday.  I regret that one to this day as it started damage to the friendship.

However, on another occasion I was ready to cancel a holiday for reasons not dissimilar, but not my own health on that occasion.  In the event I did not need to cancel.

All I am saying is keep an open mind and if necessary do not go if your health is at stake.  I hope cancellation will be unnecessary on this occasion.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline heather1957

« Reply #53 on: 20 October 2016, 07:43:43 PM »
Thanks Patti, I won't put my health at risk and will be guided by what the doctors tell me. I would also not go anywhere without adequate insurance so will also be guided by them.

I actually feel well in myself (apart from what I think is the start of another bout of cystitis) I haven't started taking the beta blockers yet I will have to at some time though and apparently I should start to feel better after taking them.

I have to be honest I did think they would start me on medication to see how that went which is why I wasn't worried, I have adapted to the initial pain I get when I start to walk(I don't ignore it but stop and pace myself)

I have no problem with them being over cautious it's wonderful to think that the NHS are still giving a good service I just think there was a lot f wasted time in the early days which may have avoided this stress so late in the day.

It may not be coming across but I would NEVER put a holiday ahead of my well being and 60 days away may be a little bit of a risk but to be honest no-one has put me on any medication until yesterday and I have also been on a walking holiday where we walked a lot, usually between 5 - 7 miles a day and I was feeling great.

Anyway - watch this space who knows I may still make it to Oz as planned OR we have a plan B which is a cruise if we have to cancel, later in the year!  :)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: 21 October 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
That all sounds good.  Hopefully the beta blockers will help lots.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans