Author Topic: Malcolm McKendrick - diet and CVD  (Read 678 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
Re: Malcolm McKendrick - diet and CVD
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2016, 04:24:03 PM »
I think it raises more questions for me than it answers. If not diet then is a genetic thing and I can only lower what might be an already high chance (both my Grandfather and Uncle on my mothers side died from heart attacks) of CVD? Is it an exercise thing? You'd think they'd have noticed if the 'blue' zones did more exercise while they were looking for a link surely (maybe I think to much of the researchers lol)
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2016, 04:42:26 PM »
To be honest I think Malcolm has tied himself in knots over quite what does cause CVD.  He's told us a lot about what he thinks doesn't cause it.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2016, 06:45:14 PM »
To be honest I think Malcolm has tied himself in knots over quite what does cause CVD.  He's told us a lot about what he thinks doesn't cause it.
Several of the comments have remarked on how he's still not got to the point. Malcolm has written so many 'episodes' in this current blog series that he must surely reach a conclusion soon.

It's very interesting to read along with Malcom's blog, the blog of Dr David Grimes as he is talking about the causes of coronary heart disease too. This is his most recent post: http://www.drdavidgrimes.com/2016/07/the-cause-of-coronary-heart-disease.html

Liam - many of my husband's family: father, uncle, aunts, grandparents, had coronary heart disease and at quite a 'young' age, his father had his first heart attack at 52 - the trend seems to be like an epidemic - do read Dr David Grimes.
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2016, 06:53:41 PM »
Same Anne. My grandfather had them pretty young (not 100% sure when his first was) and my Uncle had his first which killed him at 50. I do wonder if because I'm more monitored than them that if something bad was to happen it would be found sooner. Like because of one of the pills I take having a super rare but serious side effect of prolonged QT interval, I get a ECG ever couple of years. All it found last time was my heart rate was high, which the GP decided was the high amount of caffeine I was getting from drinking coffee all day long. I've changed that and drink decaf after noon and try to drink other liquids more. 
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2016, 07:18:22 PM »
I haven't finished reading that link yet Anne.  One para sticks out:
Similarly there is no dietary explanation for the sudden and rapid decline of CHD deaths after 1970. The 85% reduction of CHD deaths before the introduction of statins indicates that the rapid decline was not due to medical and public health interventions.
Could it just be the efficacy of the ambulance and hospital systems in getting quicker treatment?

The little graphic about pensions is interesting.   I paid into the system for 51 years and some years I paid extra by quite a bit.  My state pension is now about what they guarantee (without the uplift, just what I paid for) and frankly we would not be ultra comfortable on our state pensions.  Thank goodness we do have some private ones we paid into!  The funds are now managed by us with a financial advisor and we are reasonably happy with that, but without those funds we would not be very comfortable, not rich, just comfortable.  Young people should start to think a bit more about retirement.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2016, 08:46:29 PM »
I haven't finished reading that link yet Anne.  One para sticks out:
Similarly there is no dietary explanation for the sudden and rapid decline of CHD deaths after 1970. The 85% reduction of CHD deaths before the introduction of statins indicates that the rapid decline was not due to medical and public health interventions.
Could it just be the efficacy of the ambulance and hospital systems in getting quicker treatment?
I think the crux to him is that this was an epidemic, as in infection. Infection is one of the theories of coronary heart disease.

Maybe there are several causes of heart disease all having a similar effect ?
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2016, 10:54:44 PM »
Trouble is, nowadays, it's very hard to get a job when you're young that pays more than enough to get by. Usually to do so you have to have racked up tens of thousands in student loan debt, so you're not any further ahead at the outset and for the first 5-10 years, if not longer. By then you get all the gloom and doom about how if you start paying into a pension plan now, you still wouldn't have enough to retire on and you should have started one when you were 15! And you hear all these horrible things about group plans going belly up or being corrupt and people getting none of what they paid for. Obviously it's still a better choice to pay in some than not at all, but it's really no wonder young people don't or can't think about retirement! :) (smiley because I'm not meaning to sound critical!)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2016, 09:36:40 AM »
Avocado.  I missed the bit about infection, so that's very interesting.  I also think there must be more than one reason for heart disease, it strikes people of vastly different body types and personal habits.

Nyt, it's ever been thus regarding young people getting paid peanuts.  I was in my 30s before earning anything like serious money, but the company I joined age 24 had a contributory pension scheme and it was mandatory.  However it was very generous as they matched your minimum mandatory contributions.  I can't recall exactly but it was around 10% of your salary.  I worked for them for 18 years and that fund has provided the bulk of my pension pot.

3 years before I retired I joined a company who ran a similar pension scheme (this one was 5% of salary).  It was voluntary though, but despite my age and knowing I was close to retirement, I joined.  I worked for them for 3 years on a very part time basis, but by the time I left I had more than doubled my contributions because of the interest.  It was a nice lump sum to add to my other pension pot.  No way could I have made an investment with a better return.  However, I worked in the finance department and I was surprised to discover that out of 48 employees only 7 were in the pension scheme.  Amongst those who were not were some of the senior managers on really good salaries.

Of course I do hear you about pension funds being corrupt.  You only have to look at the recent BHS debacle.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
Re the pension stuff: I worked for both the NHS and a bank, but for periods of less than four years in each time period which meant I forfeited the NHS and company pensions. I worked twice for the NHS so even though it all added up to more than four years it was still forfeit. For most of my 'working' life I have been a mum and then a Carer. I reached state pension age a month ago, that is at 63 and 3 months of age as I was caught in the changeover period of women's state pension ages. Anyway, I only get the state pension. And I get the 'new' state pension which started on my birthday (6th April - usually a bad day tax wise to be born), but I've done allright ! I get the full new state pension plus a little bit more. My husband, who paid into a company pension and paid far, far more national insurance than I ever paid, will get less of a state pension than me when he reaches the requisite age. Thankfully he has a reasonable private pension or we certanly wouldn't be able to manage.
Anne

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2016, 07:38:32 PM »
The state pension is a bloody mystery to me.  I worked for 51 years with only 3 weeks of unemployment.   I deferred my state pension for 2 years which gained me another 10%.  I also paid enhanced contributions for quite some time in the 70s and I get £153.44 whereas the new full state pension for people who have paid in only for 10 years is £155.65.  How is that fair?

I won't go into how much NI I was paying in the years that I was earning a lot of money, but on top of that the government had my money to use all those years, whereas had I been paying that money into a private scheme then in theory it would have been earning interest..... ho hum!  Thank goodness for my private pension.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2016, 10:36:46 PM »
whereas the new full state pension for people who have paid in only for 10 years is £155.65.  How is that fair?
No, people don't get the full amount of £155.65 if they've only paid in 10 years - they have to pay in for 35 years I believe to get that amount. If they pay in for 10 years they get something, but I don't know what. I have 42 years of contributions (gov paid my NI contributions when I was a Carer - still am a Carer !). The press are saying that a huge number of people will not get the full £155.65. They've made the thing more complicated than the previous system.
Anne

Offline TerryJ

« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2016, 07:39:56 AM »
It's calculated on a pro rata basic.

From the Gov website -

"Example -
You have 20 qualifying years on your National Insurance record after 6 April 2016.
You multiply 20 qualifying years by £4.45 (£155.65 divided by 35).
Your new State Pension will be about £89 per week."
Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2016, 09:13:47 AM »
But if you don't have anything else (e.g. Savings, other private pension) they top it up with all sorts of other benefits.  There was a bloke on the radio just yesterday and he was getting just over £300 per week all told.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
But if you don't have anything else (e.g. Savings, other private pension) they top it up with all sorts of other benefits.  There was a bloke on the radio just yesterday and he was getting just over £300 per week all told.
Well I don't, I just get the state pension, nothing more. If I had to live on £155.65 per week I wouldn't be able to - I'm dependent on my dh and the DWP includes his savings/income when it comes to working things out (which makes sense)..... of course at the same time the gov taxes us separately (which doesn't make sense) ! Although I don't pay any tax with my income so low. What I mean is, my dh is taxed as a single person/single income, as am I, but when it comes to working out whether I need additional state benefits they include our joint income. I remember the days when couples were taxed as one which was much fairer - I have been able to give dh just over £1000 of my personal tax allowance which gives us an additional £200 (that's all) a year that he doesn't have to pay on his tax.

Going back to the new state pension:
The ridiculous thing is that the government brought in the 'new' state pension (started by the previous Labour government) so that they wouldn't need to top up peoples' income with other state benefits, but if someone only has the state pension, for whatever reason, they will have to be topped up if that is the only income coming into their household. And if they've only got 10 years worth of contributions, as in Terry's example, so only get £85 per week pension, they will need even more state benefits. So how is the new state pension better than the old one ?
Anne