Author Topic: New study for T2s by Northumbria University now extended to T1s  (Read 907 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
New study for T2s by Northumbria University now extended to T1s
« on: 07 September 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
We have been asked and approved a request from Northumbria Uni for your help in this study:

Invitation for forum

Would you like to help us with some research?

Researchers at Northumbria University (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) would like to invite you to take part in our study.  We are really interested to ask adults (18 years or over) with Type 2 diabetes who have been diagnosed at least one year, and who use online forums and social websites, how they feel about their diabetes, and how they feel about the health care professional responsible for supporting them in managing their diabetes.  This would just involve completing three short, confidential online questionnaires which will take about 20 minutes altogether.

Interested? Please follow the link below to find out more. This is completely anonymous, and there is no obligation to participate.   Thank you.

https://nupsych.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5uobqmCr8811qPH

If you have any questions, or would like further information, please contact the researchers:

Helen Cartner: helen.cartner @northumbria.ac.uk

Supervisor,: Dr. Michael Smith: michael4.smith @northumbria.ac.uk

This project has received all necessary safety and ethical approvals necessary for it to be undertaken according to practices set down in Northumbria University Research Ethics and Governance Handbook.

Research carried out at:

Northumbria University,

Newcastle upon Tyne,

NE1 8ST

UK

I have pointed out that the answers to Q5, P3 can be taken two ways 1. that I am not testing as much as I should and 2. I am not testing as much as I should because I do not have access to test strips and my Dr doesn't believe in testing.  Helen has responded:

Thank you very much for the very interesting, and highly relevent point you make about Qu 5 and testing blood sugars for T2s.   I really appreciate your input.   As the questionnaires have been developed and validated through separate previous research, I am not permitted to alter any questions (as they would then have to be validated again through a separate process).  However, I was really interested to hear your expert viewpoint on this, and will pay particular attention to the responses to this question because, as you say, they could be misleading.    From what you have said, I think it will also be worth me covering this in my discussion when I write up the research.  I also think it emphasises the need for exploring this under-researched area much further in the future.

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

Re: New study for T2s by Northumbria University
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
Completed.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Quantum Learning

« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
Done it.
Type 2 dx Nov 2012 with fasting BG 14%/129.5
HbA1c Jan 2013 79/9.3%
April 2013 50/6.7%
July 2013 39/5.7%
Oct 2013 39/5.7% Chol 5.9
July 2014 45/6.3% Chol 5.5
Aug 2015 61/7.7% Chol 5.9
May 2016 84/9.7% Chol 6.9
Oct 2016 53/7%  Chol 6.3
Dec 2016 41/5.9% Chol 6.0
June 2017 51/6.8% Chol 6.1
Oct 2017 52/6.9% Chol
Metformin SR 2000mg, Doxazosin 1mg, Omeprazole 20mg, Fexofenadine 180mg Co-Codamol 30/500g when needed. Amitriptyline 20mg
Toujeo/NovoRapid, Allergic to Levemir.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2016, 07:54:34 PM »
Many thanks Peeps!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Lucy

« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2016, 08:48:36 PM »
I have completed one survey from the link above which had multiple questions. The initial post said there are three questionaires to complete. Have i done it right?
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2016, 08:56:18 PM »
I think so Lucy, there were 3 pages of them.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2016, 02:19:24 PM »
Completed.

I had a few problems.  My GP is excellent and will help me with any ailments I have, but there is no-one dedicated to helping with my diabetes.  If I want an HbA1c blood test or have my feet checked, I have to ring and ask for it to be done.  I can't help feeling that if I didn't take the initiative, I would go for years without anyone realising that I should have had these tests.  I didn't feel the questionnaire addressed this type of problem.
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017.  Pacemaker fitted 2008.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
Re: New study for T2s by Northumbria University now extended to T1s
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2016, 04:52:05 PM »
I've just had an email from Helen as follows:

Hi Patti
Many thanks for your support and interest in my research into the relationships between personality, healthcare professional-patient interaction, and diabetes experience for people with Type 2 diabetes.

You will remember that you very kindly posted the information about my study on your forum on my behalf some weeks ago.

I have had a good response so far, and the really good news is that the study is now being extended to include people with Type 1 diabetes as well.  I have adapted the invitation to participate which I have included below.

Would it be possible to post this on your forum to give members of your online community with Type 1 diabetes an opportunity to take part if they would like to?  If you would now like to participate yourself (anonymously, obviously) but are having difficulty accessing the questionnaires, do let me know.  (The survey is set up so everyone completes it once only.)

Many thanks again for your support.
With best wishes
Helen

If you have diabetes, we would like to hear from you!

Researchers at Northumbria University (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) would like to invite you to take part in our study. We are really interested to ask adults (18 years or over) with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes who have been diagnosed at least one year, and who use online forums and social websites, how they feel about their diabetes, and how they feel about the health care professional responsible for supporting them in managing their diabetes.  This would just involve completing three short, confidential online questionnaires which will take about 20 minutes altogether.

Interested

Please follow the link below to find out more. This is completely anonymous, and there is no obligation to participate. Thank you.

https://nupsych.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5uobqmCr8811qPH

If you have any questions, or would like further information, please contact the researchers:
Helen Cartner: helen.cartner@northumbria.ac.uk

Supervisor,: Dr. Michael Smith: michael4.smith@northumbria.ac.uk
This project has received all necessary safety and ethical approvals necessary for it to be undertaken according to practices set down in Northumbria University Research Ethics and Governance Handbook

Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2016, 11:27:20 PM »
Done it - interesting analysing how I feel about these things.

Stuff has changed in that I no longer see the head honcho who I really appreciated, liked, relied on for his support and trusted and who I always felt from the first time I ever met him, that he UNDERSTOOD me and at the same time as he was changed to this other bloke who TBH I've tried to like but haven't managed to and treats me as a set of blood test results and pump software info not a person, my regular DSN went off sick.  The other one's OK too, but though I've known her exactly the same length of time she never 'dealt' with me so I have no real relationship with her and bearing in mind she's been doing the job of 2 people the last 2 years, so is always mega busy, I try not to bother.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2016, 12:12:25 AM »
Done it! Great questions, overall.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2016, 08:34:02 AM »
Did it.  A little difficult as I decided to use my consultant as the HCP and he's great and very very helpful, but I only see him once a year.  I also get on very well with the original DSN but she's gone back to research and I've only met her replacement once, she seems nice enough.

Am participating in some research starting next Thursday, so I expect I shall see a lot more of them in the near future. 

Regarding people not supporting me, difficult again.  Julian and most friends do, not that I make much fuss about food and I'm mostly in control of what I eat, but there's one set of friends (Freudian slip there, I originally spelled it Fiends!) who regularly invite us and although she knows I avoid carbs the food is the most carby stuff you can imagine, plus simply stuffed with sugar and they will press you to have large portions & get a bit offended when you refuse.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2016, 08:38:13 AM »
Done it - interesting analysing how I feel about these things.

Stuff has changed in that I no longer see the head honcho who I really appreciated, liked, relied on for his support and trusted and who I always felt from the first time I ever met him, that he UNDERSTOOD me and at the same time as he was changed to this other bloke who TBH I've tried to like but haven't managed to and treats me as a set of blood test results and pump software info not a person, my regular DSN went off sick.  The other one's OK too, but though I've known her exactly the same length of time she never 'dealt' with me so I have no real relationship with her and bearing in mind she's been doing the job of 2 people the last 2 years, so is always mega busy, I try not to bother.

Sedge I understand what you are saying because it was only once I got diagnosed as T1 that I started getting treated differently.  Before that I just had to learn to rely on myself.  It must be difficult for you because you DID have the support and now you don't and as you say, you just have to try not to bother and be self reliant.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
I miss it Patti - feel like my Safety Net has been removed.  God knows when I lacked one before I got into huge trouble - hence why I'm here in the first place! - what if it happens again?  But at least I do have names and phone numbers now, so I suppose I'm not completely alone like I was then.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2016, 04:48:22 PM »
Thank goodness!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Agincourt

« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
When I first became diabetic I couldn't even spell it correctly let alone anything else. Then I found you 'orrible' lot. LOL..........I worked at learning and pretty much bored everyone I knew into total boredom but my wife kept me on the right path and sane enough not to get too depressed and go astray. I think back to those days again and feel horrified. My GP's knew absolutely nothing then and to be fair are not much better at all now! Had I not sorted my self out all those years ago I would have suffered a great deal and there is no doubt in my mind about that. As it was, I had over ten years of complete hassle free time to finish my working life and get my home paid for. But I am now fighting again and though I am not as new to this as I once was, there is a lot I have forgotten and things do change. However, my good luck is that I know you lot and if nothing else you will keep me focused. I have also done the questionnaire.
Glicklazide, Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Lantus 14 u [currently]