Author Topic: Cellulitis - again + shingles  (Read 388 times)

Offline GrammaBear

Cellulitis - again + shingles
« on: 08 September 2016, 07:58:36 PM »
I am on my second round of antibiotics and this time around the doctor prescribed the tablets for 3 x daily instead of 2 x daily.  I noticed some itching around the waist area after I stepped out of the shower this morning, lo and behold I also have a patch of shingles - again.  This will be the 3rd time I've dealt with shingles. 

I would like to applaud whoever wrote the article on cellulitis for NHS.  It makes a lot of sense and has some good recommendations. 

And like others on this forum, I get very tired of dealing with these complications from time to time.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Cellulitis - again + shingles
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2016, 11:33:05 PM »
Oh dear Kathy!

When I was in the surgery a week or so back I noticed that as a person over 70 I can have a vaccination for shingles.  I will take advantage of that  methinks!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2016, 01:28:41 AM »
Oh dear Kathy!

When I was in the surgery a week or so back I noticed that as a person over 70 I can have a vaccination for shingles.  I will take advantage of that  methinks!

If your doctor permits the vaccination, by all means take it if you can.  The shingles are just NOT fun at all.  And see if J can have one too because no one wants this disease as it is miserable.
Type 1
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2016, 04:03:40 PM »
J isn't old enough to get one Kathy.... unless of course some people can get them for other reasons.

I'm sorry you're having to put up with all this over again and wish you better!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2016, 07:36:13 PM »
J isn't old enough to get one Kathy.... unless of course some people can get them for other reasons.

I'm sorry you're having to put up with all this over again and wish you better!

Thanks Patti.  If I only knew WHY I keep getting this cellulitis, then I could modify whatever it is that is causing it.  I shower daily and the bacteria on my skin should be at a modest level, but somehow it gets out of hand. 

The nurse at the immediate care clinic suggested I have these infections because I am overweight and maybe she is right.  But I can't unzip my fat suit and lose a bunch of weight all at once.  The Endo I saw several months ago told me to "starve myself" so I could lose weight, but that doesn't work well either.
Type 1
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2016, 05:45:10 PM »
The bacteria on your skin might be just fine, but who's to know what kind of bacteria an insect is carrying when it bites you?  A friend of ours was here yesterday and she was saying about this hideous bite she has which has been having her back and forth to the hospital for months and months.  Yet she had other bites and they just disappeared normally.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans