Author Topic: Herb baked Celeriac  (Read 171 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Herb baked Celeriac
« on: 26 September 2016, 07:29:24 PM »
I found this in the supplement that came with my Good Food Magazine today.  The supplement is entitled "Autumn Collection" and since it's filthy weather here today it seemed most apt.  Some really "warm your cockles" recipes.  I haven't tried this but I certainly will:

"Here's a novel way of cooking a celeriac that means you don't have to peel it - but you'll need to give it a good scrub to get rid of any bits of soil.  It takes two hours in the oven but if you have got something meaty already roasting or slow cooking it's simple to slip in the celeriac to serve alongside."

Serves 4 PREP 15 mins

1 celeriac (it doesn't state size)
1 tbs olive oil
4 Rosemary sprigs
3 bay leaves
1 garlic bulb broken into cloves
50g butter

1.  Heat oven  to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4.
If the celeriac has sprouting top, cut it off and discard.  Scrub off any dirt and trim away frilly bits of roots.  Rub the celeriac all over with the oil and place on a large sheet of foil, root side down.  Scatter with  the garlic, herbs and seasoning.  Wrap the foil tightly and place on a tray and roast at the bottom of the oven for 2 hours.  Check after 2 hours that the top is very tender - if not give it 30 mins more.

2 To serve.  Unwrap the celeriac and cut off the top.  Loosen and mash the middle with the butter, some seasoning and squeezed out softened garlic.  If you like serve the celeriac with  a spoon sticking out of it for everyone to help themselves.

Per serving:  160kcals.  Carbs 5g.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans