Author Topic: Bad Boy Making Good  (Read 712 times)

Offline Agincourt

Bad Boy Making Good
« on: 01 October 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
Ok no messing here is the total story so far..............

I joined this group on here in 2005 and went from a newly diagnosed T2 to an educated T2 entirely due to membership of this group. That is precisely why after all these years I have returned and to my delight, see some of the old farts still here......Alan, Patti......In reality I have come back because it is not going very well and I need to do what I once did [with the aid of this group of fine people] to get back on track. So that is the story.

Here is the revelation - to me - and a repeatable test.

Preamble:- I have been on my meds for the best part of ten years and without any major issues. I have had a few meds added but not Diabetes related. For all of this time I have been enjoying life with not a care in the world. I need to say at this point that my daily diet is diabetic [for me] friendly and because I am boring, littler variation on that. This is one reason why I left the group [I shouldn't have]........my life seemed to become normal.

So here we are a few years or so down the line and I find myself doing what I did all those years ago. Depressing is just not the word.  So here, for example is my daily record of events: 0915 got up and did the bathroom bit. Checked my blood at 1000 to find it was 11.5....eeeeek Well to be fair I have not mentioned what I ate which was not a good idea at all. Had breakfast which was two hard boiled eggs and one slice of brown bread. Went to me office and sat about for ages. 1400 ish had lunch which was precisely - 2 sticks of celery, 2.5 inches of cucumber quartered and 2 sandwiches of cheese. My BG 1 hour later was 16.5.....eeek Well I went on a walk and did 5 miles ish.....given up counting......then tested my blood after a fifteen minute rest. Now down to 8.1.......yo in the groove!! So I then went to the pub and had 3 x 250 Red Wines [remember what Pattie said........the liver is too busy dealing with the red wine to bother with the rest]......got home and in between ear bashing from the missus did a test and got 5.1.

The point of this? Well I read what Pattie wrote earlier and thought about it very hard and have basically put it to the test and it is right. Well for me it is.

What you need to know and to explain why this aspect is important to me is simply because for the last ten years or so I have ceased drinking any alcohol at all other then Red Wine. This is the only time I have deliberately set out to test the theorem.......like a dipstick......should have done so earlier. So in my case it works. The only downside to this is that it may seriously have an effect on me using Metformin. Well I have made up me mind........if I have to give up the Red in order to take Metformin then I will. However, my reaction to Metformin has not as yet been proven so until then .......

Glicklazide, Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Lantus 14 u [currently]

Offline heather1957

Re: Bad Boy Making Good
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2016, 09:13:02 PM »
I am sold!

In the interest of medical research I will try out the theory over the next few weeks.

I am working away for the next couple of weeks and have already purchased a couple of bottles of Shiraz  (not sure if it matters which red?) and will treat myself to a glass every evening after a long and hard days work!

I will test to see how my B/G are doing. Currently I am struggling to get under 7 even when taking 4 x 500 Metformin so maybe the wine will be what is needed to push it down.

I will publish my findings down the line.

This is one test I am happy to take part in.  :D
T2 since 8/12 HbA1c HIGH!!
Medication 4 x 500mg Metformin SR at tea time

Offline Agincourt

« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2016, 09:55:45 AM »
LOL ;D I only mention to following just in case you have not read previous posts about this. Aside from the medications below and in addition to it, I was on Metformin at the rate of 2 x 500 mg morning and 2 x 500 mg before my evening meal. I have been on this for nearly ten years. It worked for me and after a while it became normal and it all got boring. For me it worked pretty well and until now, there have been no other issues.

As Patti informs me, the Red Wine overloads the kidneys in the sense that they [the kidneys] become focused on clearing the 'Lactic Acid' in Red Wine from your blood. Therefore everything goes at the same time including glucose and you end up with a lower BG. The down side to this is simply that continued activity like this over time [dependent upon the individuals characteristics] will do some damage. In my case the Surgeon [wrongly in my opinion] thinks my ability to deal with the Lactic Acid has severely reduced and that it now presents a physiological threat. I won't explain why I believe that in my case he is wrong, that is another post but you might like to consider that doing what I have done may not be a very good idea for everyone.

Red wine has been my only alcoholic drink for the best part of ten years and now once that is no longer on the menu I will be 100% sober [rats... :'(]. It's not yet proven that I have a LA problem as yet but there is a possibility that if not then it could be closer than I'd like it to be. So please be wary.

Also the other real danger is this.........if you do discover that for you the Red does lower BG be careful not to eat with that in mind. I think I might well have done over the years and should not have. Be aware [I am sure you are] Metformin produces Lactic Acid - Red Wine is full of it.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
Sorry Agincourt I never mentioned kidneys, it's the liver that processes alcohol, which keeps it too busy to produce glucose.

However I think you have clarified one thing, the brown bread does you no good at all, pushing you up from 11.5 by five points to 16mmol/l.  Brown bread often has considerable sugar in it to make the nice colour.  Also of course it is made with flour, which is starchy carb and turns into glucose in the blood stream.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Agincourt

« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
No my apologies.........a senior moment...................... :banghead:

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2016, 04:32:37 PM »
The opening post shouts out to me as 'eat carbs (bread) and BG goes up'. I'd be looking at replacing it, I'm a firm believer that the body craves carbs like bread because when we couldn't have the all the time the body did best using them when it could to build fat for the leaner months. Now we can have all the carbs we like the body still tells you to eat them but doesn't have the famine to burn them. I know my dad has lost a lot of weight just be removing bread from his diet. Now having said that I'll tell you that sometimes I'm weak and reach for the bread (my brother lives with me so I can't just not have it around really) 

Since there is little bulk or calories in the rest of what you are eating. I'd suggest first adding protein (chicken, beef, fish etc) and fat on top of that depending on how hungry you feel after that. For meals I can take somewhere for me it normally turns into chicken + some kind of veg / salad, often with an avocado (I eat these because they seem to put up my HDL) Of course you have to find what works for you. So like maybe boiling eggs and having one or 2 as part of your lunch. Since we are getting into the colder part of the year it turns to soup for me mostly. But stews / casseroles (with beans / lentils etc rather than potato or bread) are a good idea too.

DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2016, 09:28:24 PM »
Ok no messing here is the total story so far..............

I joined this group on here in 2005 and went from a newly diagnosed T2 to an educated T2 entirely due to membership of this group. That is precisely why after all these years I have returned and to my delight, see some of the old farts still here......Alan,

Old fart? Old fart!!!  :D .

Listen, whippersnapper, old is anyone ten years older than I! Until next year I'm still a sexagenarian. It's just bloody annoying that travel insurance and hire-car companies start raising premiums when I reach the three score years and ten but I'll just have to live with their flawed actuaries and still wander the world :( .

I read this after just posting a response in a different topic; I hope it helps a little. Unless your peak is at two hours, which I doubt, your numbers will be all over the place until you get systematic.
So I then went to the pub and had 3 x 250 Red Wines

Here is another old link of mine; I think you will like it a little more than the others: Red, Red Wine. Just in case you miss it I'll emphasise this part:
The various studies aren't in agreement on "moderation". The definition appears to lie between one and three "standard" glasses daily for a male and half that for a female; personally I imbibe about a half-bottle of dry red daily which equates to 300-400ml. If in doubt your doctor will advise on that.

3 x 250 ml = one full bottle. I never drink that much in a full day, let alone at one sitting. For my two to three glasses I use the Spanish measure of 1.2dl = 120ml per glass as a rough guide.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2016, 10:04:29 PM »
Actually I rather ignored the "old fart" bit but I don't ever think of myself as such. I am a lot younger mentally than many people chronologically younger than me!

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2016, 01:30:47 AM »
Actually I rather ignored the "old fart" bit but I don't ever think of myself as such. I am a lot younger mentally than many people chronologically younger than me!

I reckon once we turned 50 age was much less relevant than health, both mental and physical.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Agincourt

« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2016, 12:45:40 PM »

I reckon once we turned 50 age was much less relevant than health, both mental and physical.
Which is just as well because both decline quite quickly..... ;D

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2016, 11:04:37 PM »
Well this old fart didn't get named - however I do remember you from way back whenever - so welcome back!  LOL
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Venomous

« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2016, 08:55:11 AM »
Welcome back! Well done for stirring the pot lol!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Agincourt

« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2016, 09:12:02 AM »
:-*Lovely to see you again [figuratively speaking] it is good to see all those I remember from those time still doing the good work. I hope you are doing fine.

Offline Agincourt

« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2016, 09:13:39 AM »

Thankyou.