Author Topic: Hello  (Read 970 times)

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2016, 03:18:15 PM »
But - exercise can actually help lower your BG for up to 48 hours.  The DSNs at my clinic said to us attending the carb counting course - Perhaps we should really tell all diabetics to only exercise every 2 days?  However, it was a joke!  The point is - it's ALWAYS useful, isn't it?
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
Hi from me, Gary. Sorry to hear you've been bullied on other forums, what a shame. Whether you do best with a low carb, moderate carb, whatever carb way of eating is up to your individual body and how it handles things - what medications you're taking, how much of your own insulin you make (or how you handle injected insulin, or both), what your body chemistry and metabolism are like, what activity levels, stress and other things you've got going on, what your psychology and relationship to food are like ('cause "healthy living" is about a lot more than just your bloods, eh?)...no way could any one way of eating ever be right for all! I'm a moderate carber most of the time myself (though my results are nowhere near as good as yours!)

"Eat to your meter" is about the only "universal" advice you'll get around here, and you seem to already be doing a great job of that! Seriously, well done you. :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #17 on: 12 October 2016, 08:40:53 PM »
Sedge: well, yeah! :) But in terms of pinpointing what lowered BGs on that particular day so it can be repeated if necessary, it's worth knowing that the exercise may not have been the thing that did the trick, at least not on its own. Exercise without eating can make DP worse for a lot of folks.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Gary. I am a type 2 diabetic and looking for a supportive forum, having been a member of another one in which I felt unsupported and bullied because I do not control my diabetes a particular way.

G'day and welcome. So sorry to see that. I hope it was not a forum I'm on. I'll just note some snippets from your long post.
in the last 15 months have never exceed 8.5 post prandial. Not that I aim for 8.5 try to keep below but have learnt what leeway I have, so I would regard myself as following a balanced diet and have learnt what carbs do to me and how much I can tolerate.
Another way of saying you 'eat to to your meter' - as many of us do here too. I aim a little lower but I won't pretend I always succeed in my aims.
By September I had lost four stone and HbA1c down to 42. I came off statins and metformin. December still 42 and come March I was thrilled to be down to 40 and got my first normal level six months into diet only, also had maintained my 4 stone weight loss for a year now.
Brilliant! Congratulations! Why on earth would that story of success lead to bullying on the other forum?
I'm a great believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it so unless my situation changes, will carry on as I am.
Sounds wise to me :)
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)