Author Topic: Really yummy Moroccan Meatballs  (Read 208 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Really yummy Moroccan Meatballs
« on: 28 October 2016, 06:47:25 PM »

I found this recipe in a Tesco magazine, and thought the dish looked fab, but when I read the recipe it was bland to say the least.  Here is my spiced up version.

Serves 4

Meatballs
2 slices white bread (I used brown with seeds cos we do not eat white bread)
150 ml milk
1 x 500g pack of lamb mince
1.5 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon

For the sauce
3 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
1 finely sliced shallot + one finely sliced red onion (or use 1.5 sliced red onion)
1 tbs plain flour
300 ml chicken stock.
1.5  tsp cumin
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp Turmeric

To serve
1 x 200g tub hommous (I used Tesco Lemon and Coriander)
Handful fresh dill
Handful chopped mint leaves
Handful chopped flat leaf parsley
Sprinkle of  dried Sumac (optional – Tregenza sell sumac in a small box)
2 tbs Pomegranate seeds.

The toppings are crucial!

In a shallow bowl soak the bread in the milk.  Place the lamb, spices and garlic in a food processor and pulse until combined (if you do not have a food processor you can combine by hand) add the breadcrumbs and combine.  Roll the resultant mixture into 24 meatballs of equal size. Fry 12 at a time until browned all over and set aside on a plate.

Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry gently until soft.  Add the additional spices for the sauce and fry until the spices run in the oil. Stir in the flour and cook a further minute.  Add the chicken stock and stir well until combined and thickened.  Return the meatballs to the sauce and cover then re-heat and simmer slowly for 12 – 15 minutes until the meatballs cooked through.

Serve and add the toppings.

I did enough for 4 and was going to freeze 2 portions, but we enjoyed it so much we ate the 2nd two portions the next night!

The recipe says 19.1g carb per portion and I doubt the spices I added increased that.  I bolussed for 20g and that worked well, so I will take their word for it!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans