Author Topic: reducing gliclazide - bad idea?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: reducing gliclazide - bad idea?
« Reply #45 on: 07 November 2016, 09:20:43 PM »
Ah, now - our surgery has a Clinical Pharmacist who can not only diagnose stuff to some degree - eg Yep that's a verruca or No - it's athlete's foot, You'll need a stitch in that or No you won't - but can also prescribe repeats or as you say V - increase or decrease meds - so if you were trying something eg our next door neighbour whose BP a fortnight ago was 193 over something equally huge (!) and was therefore given 10mg of Lisinopril and whose BP on my meter this afternoon had come down to 145/83 has to go back in a week to 10 days and the pharmacist could say OK supposing it's now down to reasonable figures and re-prescribe and make it a repeat or increase it if not and see him in another month.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline peterlemer

« Reply #46 on: 07 November 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
thanks sedge, Patti, Venemous - about discussing this with pharmacist, now I think about it, my optometrist has recommended I do just that

pete

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #47 on: 11 November 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
It seems to me that you need to reduce your time spent listening to that nurse.
Hi Alan - not sure how to do that. My prescriptions depend on the surgery seeing me on demand :-)
pete

Liam put it very well:  listen to what she has to say then decide for yourself whether to take heed of it.

Meet the requirements of your health system to obtain what you need, but learn enough about your body and its needs to be able to be selective about the advice or admonishments you listen to. Also be careful about the source. In this case the nurse is not the doctor; if you wish to reduce meds that is a doctor's role, not the nurse. But meds like glic are a little different; they can cause hypos in real time and you can't usually call the doc at those times.

I'm not a doc, just a diabetic but if a med is causing me significant unwanted side effects, and ceasing it has less dangers than continuing it, I cease it until I can discuss it with the doc.

I wrote this a long time ago and have practised what I preached since: Experts
Never forget that the person who will be most affected by poor advice from any source will be you – not me, not your doctor, but you. In my opinion, more than nearly any other condition, the success of management of diabetes depends on the diabetic. So, while  medics can advise and prescribe – it’s your decisions and your actions that will decide your future.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline peterlemer

« Reply #48 on: 11 November 2016, 11:37:03 PM »
thanks alan

pete

Offline peterlemer

« Reply #49 on: 11 November 2016, 11:42:19 PM »
Hi Pete!

[...] the goal is also to reduce spikes as much as possible. [...]

OK, moving forward....

suggestions on how to monitor/test spikes please.
I could test each food item solo - say three times each. But this would take a lot of strips and I might lose a lot of weight! :-)

would I test every 15 minutes? Every half hour?

A suggestion, please, for a practical and effective spike observing regime?

pete

Offline Alan

« Reply #50 on: 12 November 2016, 03:06:30 AM »
Hi Pete!

[...] the goal is also to reduce spikes as much as possible. [...]
OK, moving forward....

suggestions on how to monitor/test spikes please.
I could test each food item solo - say three times each. But this would take a lot of strips and I might lose a lot of weight! :-)

would I test every 15 minutes? Every half hour?

A suggestion, please, for a practical and effective spike observing regime?

pete

Test at your peak after each meal. If you do not know when that is use one hour after your last bite.

Read this for some general tips, including more on testing: Getting Started

If strips availability is a problem, this may help: Testing on a Budget
--
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline peterlemer

« Reply #51 on: 12 November 2016, 12:45:39 PM »

pete

Test at your peak after each meal. If you do not know when that is use one hour after your last bite.

Read this for some general tips [...]

that looks really promising :-)
Have begun reading....

Hidden in your response a question remains: how do I get to know when my peaks are? Is that something discussed in your blog?

cheers Alan

pete

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: 12 November 2016, 04:17:03 PM »
Pete

It is indeed - I'd start at the beginning if I were you - it's all useful stuff to know - very much including the very aptly named 'Painless Pricks' blog.  And - actually - said she who's probably done approx. 70,000 of these actions so far and thousands more to look forward to - it's FAR from an oxymoron !

Damn good read authored by a really sensible bloke with a great sense of humour.

And apart from that - he's really nice chap to know anyway.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Alan

« Reply #53 on: 12 November 2016, 09:33:41 PM »
that looks really promising :-)
Have begun reading....

Hidden in your response a question remains: how do I get to know when my peaks are? Is that something discussed in your blog?

For your specific question: When To Test?

If you have enough strips spend a day or two testing 45, 60 and 90 minutes after each main meal. You should be able to get an idea of your most consistent peak time from the results. It can vary a bit depending on time of day and meal content.

If strips are in short supply use one hour after your last bite of the meal.
--

Offline Alan

« Reply #54 on: 12 November 2016, 09:34:48 PM »
Pete

It is indeed - I'd start at the beginning if I were you - it's all useful stuff to know - very much including the very aptly named 'Painless Pricks' blog.  And - actually - said she who's probably done approx. 70,000 of these actions so far and thousands more to look forward to - it's FAR from an oxymoron !

Damn good read authored by a really sensible bloke with a great sense of humour.

And apart from that - he's really nice chap to know anyway.
Thanks Jenny.

Appreciation is always appreciated :)
--

Offline peterlemer

« Reply #55 on: 13 November 2016, 02:43:55 PM »

If you have enough strips spend a day or two testing 45, 60 and 90 minutes after each main meal. You should be able to get an idea of your most consistent peak time from the results. It can vary a bit depending on time of day and meal content.

thanks, will do

pete