Author Topic: Eyesight problem  (Read 728 times)

Offline Moz131

Eyesight problem
« on: 06 November 2016, 03:23:53 PM »
Hi everybody, not been on for quite a while but hoping that somebody may be able to respond to my post. Out shopping today and my husband who is the reason for this post, suddenly said he couldn't see properly, I sent him back to the car while I paid for the shopping. Then called my son to come and pick us up from the supermarket as my husband wasn't capable of driving home, and I can't drive.

Very scary, although he has complained several times of his vision going very blurry or dim. Has he explains it like it's going dark similar to these wintry nights we are now having were it goes dark early.  He has kept up with all the eye scans and his eye consultant said she is happy that his eyes are ok, no haemorrhaging which was a problem at one time.

I know it's probably not only him that suffers this. Please can anybody give me any information on what their experience has been with this problem?

Thanks for reading.

Wife of (Moz 131).

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Eyesight problem
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
Hi Moz and welcome back

To be honest, it sounds like what some of us experience when a hypo is coming on.  I am sorry, I cannot recall, but I am assuming he is T2?  Does he have a test kit?  If so it would help if he were able to test when these incidences happen to see if it is in fact low blood sugar.  Equally, blurry vision can come on due to high BGs.  Plus if he's been used to being high then drops to "normal" levels it can trigger it.  So I would advise you to get hold of a test kit and some strips. Meantime I do think he ought to visit his Dr and see if he can get to the bottom of it, as it may not even be diabetes related.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2016, 04:19:49 PM »
He really needs to talk to a doctor about it imo

Has he told the eye doc about this? It might not be something they can see / test for without knowing about the symptoms. I'd also suggest seeing a GP about it as soon as he can. Sure as diabetics we tend to think it is related to diabetes but it also might not be!
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Venomous

« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2016, 07:09:02 PM »
Sounds like a trip to the doc (and probably another trip to the optician) is in order, if only to put your minds at rest.

I don't suppose he took his blood glucose level at the time? As Liam says, perhaps it could have been high (or lower) bg levels but always worth getting checked out thoroughly, sometimes things aren't due to being diabetic at all, better safe than sorry.

Let us know what happens!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Moz131

« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2016, 06:40:37 PM »
Thank you guys. Maurice luckily managed to get an appointment at the eye clinic this morning and unfortunately, as we expected, it's not good. After testing his eyes the doctor said the damage has already been done from last years problem with bleeding at the back of his eyes, and he now is suffering with tunnel vision. This of course makes it impossible for him to continue driving. Just pray that they don't go any worse and he loses his sight that would be devastating.

It's not that we are necessarily upset about him having to stop driving, but it does cause us problems in other ways, as I don't drive and at 64 don't have the confidence to start now. With his other health problems he has a lot of hospital and clinic appointments, all of which are not easy to get to without a car. Even our doctors is quite a distance. So it's a new lifestyle for us and out come the bus passes, (I've not used mine yet).  Once again thanks for your support, it's a matter of just getting on with it, it's not worth risking lives for.
All the best.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2016, 07:21:24 PM »
Moz

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to read your last post!  It is possible to recover from bleeds.  I have a friend locally (T1) who had a huge bleed but he is back driving and working.

How has Maurice's control been recently?  I ask because it is possible, if he is strict with himself, to reverse some of this damage I  believe (thought the medics never hold out hope) if he can get his BGs under strict control and we may be able to help with that.  How open is he to dietary changes?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Moz131

« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Hi Patti, I will be totally honest, he will not listen to advise about his diet. I have managed to get him to eat less of the sweet things that he is addicted to, but he still has them.

In previous posts I have mentioned that he's not helping himself and I can't force him or watch him 24/7. So it is mainly up to him to watch what he eats. Having said that he does have regular checks with the diabetic nurse and his readings are quite good considering he is on a lot of meds for Rheumatoid Arthritis and the main one that causes problems is the Prednisolone. The clinic know he's is on these steroids probably for life so it's a losing battle.

He does check his blood sugar readings quite often and they only go high certain times of the day, as explained by the nurse the steroids will push the readings up and their isn't much we can do about that, as he can't manage the pain without them. I must give the diabetic clinic full credit they will see him and go through his problems and he sees the consultant if necessary, so in that respect he is well looked after. As for his eyes it's in the lap of the gods I think. So far it's mainly in one eye.

Thank you for your response your very caring and I appreciate it.

regards
Kath x

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2016, 02:19:16 PM »
Glad to hear you managed to get seen quickly but I'm very sorry to hear the prognosis. I guess if he is unwilling to change (and the steroids make it really difficult anyway) we have to hope for it to stay stable for as long as possible.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
I'm so sorry that it's bad news, and how difficult this makes your situation now. When steroids are also necessary, it makes everything to do with diabetes that much more difficult. It sounds like you and he are doing the best you can balancing the whole situation and that he is well taken in hand at least at his clinic. We talk a lot about control and preventing complications, but that is really a question of probability, not determinism. And in all the discussion of "controlling one's diabetes," the fact that many people can't achieve good control search what they do (or can only achieve good control at the expense of their quality of life) is often completely buried. It's not that we're helpless in the face of it, or that diabetes dooms us to being unwell necessarily, but at the very heart of it, diabetes IS still a disease and it DOES affect our bodies in non-negligible ways. What I'm trying to say is that whatever influence our actions may or may not have on our outcomes, it's always ultimately the disease's fault in the end. Here's hoping for the best possible outcomes for the future for you both, whatever those may end up being from here.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2016, 04:19:42 PM »
I hadn't appreciated that he is taking steroids Kath.  As has already been said, that makes it difficult because it becomes a catch 22 situation.  Steroids raise BGs, higher BGs = more  insulin and more weight gain from steroids makes you more insulin resistant.   At least his clinic is looking after him well.

In our area we aren't that well served for busses, some routes are only about every hour, but I use my bus pass a lot and it's possible to get more or less anywhere on the bus, it just means more planning ahead.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Moz131

« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2016, 04:38:08 PM »
Luckily Patti we do have a good bus service, so it's just a matter of having to adjust. We have family that will help when they can with lifts so we are luckier than a lot of people of our age with health problems. We don't live too far from parks so in good weather we can have a trip out with the dog and I have a mobility scooter (I have arthritis in spine and hips so can't walk too far).  In fact if we do go out with the scooter we take turns on it so things don't have to look or be too grim. At lease we can still get out which is more than a lot of people with health and mobility problems can.

Apart from the most scary thing in February when Maurice had pneumonia and had to be put on a ventilator (good diet that I lost loads of weight with worry), this is the biggest challenge we have had to face.  Here's hoping it's a slow process if it does get worse, we honestly thought that would be the end of the problem after the eye consultant advised the bleeding had stopped but left scarring. This  vision problem only happened a matter of weeks ago, until then he was driving with no problems, just seemed to have crept up on him.

Thanks to all for your comments, which I do take on board.

Regards
Kath n Moz  ;)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2016, 09:41:05 AM »
I'm glad to hear that you can at least get out and about Kath.  Thinking of you and hoping Maurice's eyesight does not get any worse.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Moz131

« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2016, 01:43:04 PM »
Thank you Patti. I will bob in now and then sorry I'm not as loyal as some members!!

It's good to know your here for advise if I need it.

Best regards
Kath and Moz xx :-*