Author Topic: sweet irony  (Read 457 times)

Offline kat

• wind me up & watch me go!!!!!
sweet irony
« on: 28 January 2017, 05:22:57 PM »
Why do the powers that be not realize that the traffic lights system used on packaging is of such limited value. The ordinary shopper ( that's most folk) looks at the front of the pack and thinks low sugar means eat all you like. Mmm
I have friends, T2s,  who guzzle anything with less than 3% sugar cos they think it's safe. Friends who don't know that it's carbs that matter, not just sugar. It never crosses their minds to look on the back of a packet, even if they did they probably wouldn't see the significance of  the total carbs. Still other friends wanting to share some stupid celeb sugar - free recipe that they say is sooo great, are the people who keep putting these recipes in magazines to dim to realize that maple syrup, honey , agave nectar and dried fruit are all sugar. Try telling them it doesn't only come in granulated form!
Something else that really annoys me is the supermarket mags, loads of interesting recipes, all fat, calorie and SUGAR counted. Is it too much to ask them to include the total carbohydrate content. Yes, I have spoken to several of them. I suppose I don't count, there is supposed to be a diabetes epidemic. Well, I think I know where to start tackling some of it!

Human beings are a product of evolution. We are programmed to find food as easily as possible, that is our nature, we are opportunists, that's why there are so many of us. To avoid the fastest food is really against our nature so I think it is a shame that people can try so hard to be healthier only to have their best efforts sabotaged by those who could help. The experts have painted themselves into a corner and still won't accept they have been wrong. 
looking after T2 husband. metformin, gliclazide, lantus thyroxine. Also captopril,

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet irony
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
It's exactly the same as it's been for a long time Kat - 'people' don't call the shots.  Big Pharma, the Ad Industry and the Fat Cats of private enterprise call the shots, cos Profit is King - not people.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
Unfortunately the "official dietary guidelines" are still based on the Eatwell plate and magazines do not want to be seen giving different dietary advice.  I subscribe to both Delicious and Good Food magazines -both insist on making "Healthier versions of old favourites" where they reduce the saturated fat in the recipe and more often than not increase the carb values.  I have written to them on the subject but their response is that they are following official guidelines.  Conversely in last month's magazine, can't exactly recall which one, there was an article about how saturated fat is no longer being seen as "the enemy" ironically only pages away from the fat reducing recipe.

Diabetic nurses (the less educated variety who "see the diabetics" in some GP's surgeries) are still handing out the Eatwell plate advice, so if your diabetic mates are advised by one such, who are they going to believe?  You or the nurse who is supposed to be the expert?  Sad I kinow.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
When my daughter had her 8 month check up with the nurse I was given a print out of the eatwell plate... feed your growing child all these carbs. I think not. It's not the 70's any longer, when we believed all that. We have seen the affect on the generation that grew up with that advice, they're living a shorter life span than their own parents.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline kat

« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2017, 03:36:52 PM »
Next time we see a DSN who is advocating the poison plate I intend to ask her if she is diabetic. Might also ask her what she knows about canagliflozin!

Got talking to a woman y/day, T2, filling her trolley with all sorts of low sugar stuff. showed her the back of the packet and told her it's carbs that count. She didn't know what they were! REALLY!!! Older woman too, about my age anyway. (67)

The DSN looking after my sister-in-law has told her to eat Kellogs sustain as it will keep her fuller longer. She has become so heavy over the years that I worry about her, she knows about the carb thing but I think she is resigned to being obese. Her BG is good tho.
Her husband has charcot foot, is also obese, out of control with his BG and just shugs it all off. If people won't take responsibility for their own welbeing when they have the evidence of personal experience then what can the people who love them do?

BTW, breakfast cereals are one thing I would slap a health warning on, in fact I would outlaw them if I could. I would only allow porridge if it was made with old fashioned rolled oats! I feel so strongly about breakfast cereals, and some of the wholegrain breads I couldn't start to tell anyone! If someone is too idle to boil an egg then what is the point.

Edited my admin to remove superflous formatting and make it readable

looking after T2 husband. metformin, gliclazide, lantus thyroxine. Also captopril,

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
I sometimes wonder how this blooming formatting gets into things.... not anything you did Kat, but I removed it to make the post readable.

I do despair that some of the HCPs have not caught onto the whole carb issue and cannot see the wood for the trees.  Some sensible dietary advice would make all the difference to some T2s who haven't caught onto the carb issue themselves. 

If your SIL's hubby just shrugs off Charcot foot what can you do?

Have to agree... breakfast cereals are evil.  Been banned from our house for years now!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2017, 10:04:47 PM »
They may be evil for YOU, but this does not mean they are evil for everybody else.  Doesn't Julian ever want to kick over the traces?  LOL

I mean I've been eating em most days for 66 years and they haven't succeeded in killing me or putting weight on me (I mean unwanted weight - when you're a tot, food IS supposed to help you grow LOL) BUT this surely is simply because I don't and haven't ever, overeaten the things, isn't it?

I don't understand why, if people want to overeat, they don't choose stuff with shedloads more flavour and more interesting texture than either cereals or bread!

Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2017, 10:56:27 PM »
Sedge

I know you can cope with them with appropriate doses of insulin, but I simply cannot, even accurately carb counted they spike me dreadfully.  Julian eats what he wants but he doesn't like any cereals and we did notice years ago that they piled weight on him (this was when we were going to WW... they also spiked him!).  He prefers natural yoghurt and an apple.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2017, 11:46:44 PM »
I just don't like breakfast cereals so was easy for me to not have them (basically didn't have to give them up) I notice my brother eats them before bed more often that at breakfast time. I very rarely eat breakfast, I did every morning when on holiday. Mostly a bacon and eggs, I ate an orange (they tasted so much better than UK supermarket ones somehow) one morning. Got greeted with a nice spike, I was sure it must be juice on my fingers but turned out not to be after washing. I think my breakfast ratio is likely wrong but haven't ate anything with carbs for breakfast since!

I have to admit before joining this forum I never thought about how all the carbs I'd be 'prescribed' (to match insulin) weren't doing me any good. I grow up being pretty much forced to eat more than I often wanted. It became habit. When someone explains it to you it is so simple. Why would the thing that causes blood sugars to go up be the base of the diet? It is just so crazy but it feels like everyone out there believes it. I know there are some voices that see it 'our way' but they are in a sea of NHS advice saying the opposite. I mean who are you going to believe, the whole NHS system or a 'crazy internet thing'. I mean I read crazy internet things all the time, things like okra water can replace insulin for a type I....
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline kat

« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
I don't eat much in the way of cereals in any form, bread, pasta, or breakfast stuff. They make me lethargic and if I have them regularly I go from Jekyl to Hyde in a nano second. ( I am not diabetic, just diabolical, some say!)
 Porridge spikes OH's bg as do OLD potatoes.
 Diabetes is as varied as the people who have it. Perhaps the 'healthy plate', which is poisonous to me and OH, works for some people, I would think it does, but, when it doesn't work then a diet which has less carbs should surely be tried before introducing any drugs. That should cut the nhs bill by quite a lot I would think.
Fed up of hearing diabetes complications and associated costs being blamed on sufferers when they have probably been following the official guidelines . It's the people drawing up these guidelines that are probably to blame for the 'diabetes epidemic'!
I heard that the PM is T1, never read it as I don't like OH choice of newspapers. If she is I wonder what she thinks about it all? 

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2017, 07:41:25 PM »
Diabetes is as varied as the people who have it. Perhaps the 'healthy plate', which is poisonous to me and OH, works for some people, I would think it does, but, when it doesn't work then a diet which has less carbs should surely be tried before introducing any drugs. That should cut the nhs bill by quite a lot I would think.
Fed up of hearing diabetes complications and associated costs being blamed on sufferers when they have probably been following the official guidelines . It's the people drawing up these guidelines that are probably to blame for the 'diabetes epidemic'!

Couldn't agree more on everything you say there.

I heard that the PM is T1, never read it as I don't like OH choice of newspapers. If she is I wonder what she thinks about it all?
She is and I doubt she has time to think about it at all! 
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans