Author Topic: coconut oil  (Read 472 times)

Offline kat

• wind me up & watch me go!!!!!
coconut oil
« on: 08 February 2017, 02:11:44 PM »
As it's such a long time since I used the forum I might be re-hashing something old but here goes....
Gloria Hunniford has a prog about food on just now, really it is about all the headlines we keep seeing. Today, top of the show was about coconut oil, I noticed last week that Aldi now stock it, at a much lower price than I would have expected I might add, anyway today I found out, from Gloria, that coconut oil is 92% saturated fat and it increases cholesterol. Apparently all the benefits claimed for it, apart from tasting nice, are bunkum! I suppose all the regular visitors have already discussed the subject about a hundred years ago, but just in case I decided to put it out there. FWIW I never have used it tho I know from a couple of years ago that some forum users did use it.
looking after T2 husband. metformin, gliclazide, lantus thyroxine. Also captopril,

Offline Avocado

• My French website
Re: coconut oil
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2017, 07:21:14 PM »
today I found out, from Gloria, that coconut oil is 92% saturated fat and it increases cholesterol. Apparently all the benefits claimed for it, apart from tasting nice, are bunkum!
Coconut oil is a saturated fat and a medium chain triglyceride. Medium chain triglycerides are what they use for people fed intravenously since medium chain triglycerides are not digested like other fats but are absorbed directly. Coconut oil also raises HDL cholesterol which in turn raises total cholesterol - that's what some saturated fats do, so it's great !

My cholesterol is really high since I went Paleo which is also when I started using coconut oil loads. That's 10 years ago now. My last cholesterol test in September showed total was 8.9 and my HDL was 3.8. I'm not complaining ! Nor is my endo or GP !
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2017, 08:39:33 PM »
OK.. let me try to put this into perspective.  If you dig a little deeper than Gloria you will find that all cause mortality from higher cholesterol drops dramatically for older people and you will realise that having higher chol is good rather than bad.  Cholesterol is a wonderful substance that protects from cancer and all sorts.  Rather than repeat stuff I refer you to http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php/topic,6060.0.html and http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php/topic,4349.0.html

However, please open a further discussion on this subject because there are new studies that shed better light.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2017, 09:18:24 PM »
OK.. let me try to put this into perspective.  If you dig a little deeper than Gloria you will find that all cause mortality from higher cholesterol drops dramatically for older people and you will realise that having higher chol is good rather than bad.  Cholesterol is a wonderful substance that protects from cancer and all sorts.  Rather than repeat stuff I refer you to http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php/topic,6060.0.html and http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php/topic,4349.0.html

However, please open a further discussion on this subject because there are new studies that shed better light.

Thanks for the reminder. I let that draft post lapse as life got in the way. It's time to revive it.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)