Author Topic: Question about Alan's crustless quiche...  (Read 525 times)

Offline GrammaBear

Question about Alan's crustless quiche...
« on: 07 March 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
I've been struggling with my numbers recently, so I've decided to try harder to make better food choices.  I've made Alan's crustless quiche numerous times and both my husband and I enjoy it immensely.  What I was wondering is:  has anyone tried making it in those mini dishes for individual servings?  Also, would the individual servings lend themselves to being stored in the freezer after they were baked?

Any suggestions for breakfast would also be appreciated as it seems that breakfast is my hardest meal thus far to make decent food choices.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5% ~ March 2017

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
Re: Question about Alan's crustless quiche...
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2017, 05:11:25 PM »
Kathy

I see no reason why you cannot make the quiche in mini-tins but do remember that the cooking time will be drastically reduced for the smaller amount.  If the larger quiches freeze then the smaller ones should too.  My only reservation with an item of that texture is that it may come out of the freezer a bit soggy as it's fairly "wet" anyway.  My experience of frittatas which is basically what a crustless quiche is really, is that it keeps well in the fridge for quite a few days.

If you'd like suggestions for breakfast would you like me to move this to the Food/Diet section where people may see it for what it is rather than "off topic".
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
PS there are a number of breakfast suggestions in the "Breakfast" section of the recipe section here http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php/board,14.0.html
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
Kathy

I see no reason why you cannot make the quiche in mini-tins but do remember that the cooking time will be drastically reduced for the smaller amount.  If the larger quiches freeze then the smaller ones should too.  My only reservation with an item of that texture is that it may come out of the freezer a bit soggy as it's fairly "wet" anyway.  My experience of frittatas which is basically what a crustless quiche is really, is that it keeps well in the fridge for quite a few days.

If you'd like suggestions for breakfast would you like me to move this to the Food/Diet section where people may see it for what it is rather than "off topic".

Patti - please place it wherever you feel it would be proper.  I wondered about freezing an egg dish.  I saw a frozen mini quiche at the store and bought it to try.  The taste was absolutely horrid compared to the quality of Alan's quiche recipe. 
Type 1
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5% ~ March 2017

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
I've been struggling with my numbers recently, so I've decided to try harder to make better food choices.  I've made Alan's crustless quiche numerous times and both my husband and I enjoy it immensely.  What I was wondering is:  has anyone tried making it in those mini dishes for individual servings?  Also, would the individual servings lend themselves to being stored in the freezer after they were baked?

I've never made it as individual serves but I see no reason why not. I may try it myself, using ramekins or one-serve pie dishes.

You may need to monitor progress in the oven the first time. I suspect they would need less time to cook. Note that I use five eggs, not four, for the full quiche these days, modified to suit a slightly larger quiche dish.

I store left over sectors in the freezer as single serves in clingwrap. I reheat them in the microwave. If I made them with a cheese base (as I sometimes do) I sear them briefly in the frying pan to add a little crispness after reheating.

Any suggestions for breakfast would also be appreciated as it seems that breakfast is my hardest meal thus far to make decent food choices.

Some of my standards: Breakfasts. Yesterday was Stuffed Mushrooms, this morning simple bacon, chipolata and egg.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Alan

« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
I bought a six-serve American Muffin tray; the shapes are about 4" across at the top, 3" at the bottom and 1 1/2" deep. Like giant cup-cakes or small pies. Not this brand but similar:

I modified the recipe to use six eggs and a little more bacon and silver-beet (chard) and reduced the cooking time to 25 minutes. Divided across the six shapes the mix came about 2/3 of the way up with room for more.

We ate three for dinner with some salad. The others enjoyed them but I felt the serve was a bit small. Next time I might use only five of the six shapes or add another egg and some more cream. Three went in the freezer for the future.
--
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
I bought a six-serve American Muffin tray; the shapes are about 4" across at the top, 3" at the bottom and 1 1/2" deep. Like giant cup-cakes or small pies. Not this brand but similar:

I modified the recipe to use six eggs and a little more bacon and silver-beet (chard) and reduced the cooking time to 25 minutes. Divided across the six shapes the mix came about 2/3 of the way up with room for more.

We ate three for dinner with some salad. The others enjoyed them but I felt the serve was a bit small. Next time I might use only five of the six shapes or add another egg and some more cream. Three went in the freezer for the future.

Thank you for your reply Alan and I apologise for my late response.  I will try the american muffin tin and see how that goes.  Your quiche recipe is far superior to any others I've tried and is much kinder to my blood sugar as well.
Type 1
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5% ~ March 2017

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
Last I heard of Alan he was going to be disconnected from the internet for some days because they were installing fibre in his neighbourhood, but that was a few days ago.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2017, 09:32:35 PM »
Last I heard of Alan he was going to be disconnected from the internet for some days because they were installing fibre in his neighbourhood, but that was a few days ago.

Ah, Yes, now I remember reading the same thing on my facebook page.  I hope the installation is going smoothly in his area and he will be connected to the Internet soon.  :)
Type 1
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5% ~ March 2017

Offline Alan

« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2017, 11:57:59 PM »

Ah, Yes, now I remember reading the same thing on my facebook page.  I hope the installation is going smoothly in his area and he will be connected to the Internet soon.  :)

It was a forlorn hope but I am finally back on the web now :)

Have you tried the muffin tray yet?
--